• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yooka-Laylee remake Yooka-Replaylee announced for PC

Draugoth

Gold Member
Yooka-Replaylee_2024_06-06-24_007-1024x576.jpg

Playtonic Games has announced Yooka-Replaylee, a remastered and enhanced version of the 2017-released collectathon platformer Yooka-Laylee for PC (Steam). Additional platforms and a release date were not announced.

Get the first details below.

About
Meet the definitive remastered and enhanced version of the 3D indie platforming collectathon darling, Yooka-Laylee (2017), with the same key creative talent behind the Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong Country games at the helm and self-published by Playtonic Friends.
Marking the culmination of almost 10 years of Playtonic Experience along with an exciting new beginning for our favorite buddy-duo, Yooka-Replaylee is the result of the growth of the company, the things we have learned while working on other projects as well as the feedback we have taken on board since the original release. Experience the wacky colorful adventure of Yooka and Laylee with an art and animations overhaul, all new challenges, secrets, mechanics, and accessibility options! Our favorite buddy duo has never looked or moved better!

Source

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

I was wondering when are these guys going to make another game? Do they not have the budget for a full new game?

And damn it #BringBackBanjo

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Remake? They better be starting from scratch because this game was toss.

Fake edit: wait, they made 2 of these things?

Maybe they are releasing something new after this.

btw, my mom heard the music and asked "banjo-kazooie?" as I played a lot of it as a kid, that's how recognizable the music is.
Yep. Kirkhope composed it. Many of the same team from the old golden era N64 Rareware days.

Griffon

As long as the Steam version has a nice discount for people owning the original game, I'm in.

I liked the original game well enough, I wont mind a good overall.

Xellos

Impossible Lair was great but this game was just OK. Hope they rework the levels as well as the graphics.

Also this game isn't even that old, only 7 years. Where's part 3 (or anything new)?

Stuart360

Impossible Lair was great but this game was just OK. Hope they rework the levels as well as the graphics.

Also this game isn't even that old, only 7 years. Where's part 3 (or anything new)?
The 2nd game flopped hard compared to the first game which actually sold decent.
I guess they probably dont have the funds to make a brand new game.

Pimpollo818

First was was pretty ass. A solid foundation, but I don't need to retread this. The 2d entry was excellent however. Impossible Lair is up there alongside Tropical Freeze imo when it comes to excellent "modern" 2d platformers

Yeah, not sure. I don't think the problems with this game can be fixed with a coat of paint and tweaked controls, most of the level design was trash which was the biggest issue. Should've just made a sequel.

The_hunter

I played the 1st game, I though it was not good. Bad levels, bad hub world and bad controls. Poorly designed and didn't have enough budget for the scope they went.

Astray

Maybe they are releasing something new after this.

btw, my mom heard the music and asked "banjo-kazooie?" as I played a lot of it as a kid, that's how recognizable the music is.
Seems like they are tbh.

This feels like something done to keep the lights on until they are ready to work on their new title.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Remastered and enhanced - this could potentially be a good game if they are also tweaking some of the level design. I think you could reduce the overall footprint of most of the levels by 10-20% and that alone would make the game a better, tighter experience.

Paltheos

So many one-liner, negative nancys in this thread.

The original could use allot of work - It's a 5 or 6 on my scale - but some of the fixes that could improve the experience aren't that crazy to do: 1) Replace quill pickups so that they lead to objectives instead of feeling randomly strewn about the levels; 2) Do away with the transitions between loading screens (cute, but very obnoxious in the ice level); 3) Improve the overall quality of the mini-games - the mine cart one in particular gets obnoxious; 4) Make most NPCs unique to each area (except the snake dude).

I think there were some physics troubles when rolling on slopes but it's been a while.

They can't remake the whole thing from the ground up unfortunately, so I doubt they could match it to A Hat in Time's quality (which came out around the same time and shit all over Yooka-Laylee.. and almost every other game in the hyper-stacked 2017), but there's allot of little changes they could make to boost the score a point or two.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I always wanted to play this game but for some reason I never did, I think I'm just waiting for the remake

Saber

I don't think theres people asking for this game to be remaked honestly. But if they are up to the task of heavy tunning this game and make the plataforming feel like it's a plataformer then good for them.

Banjo64

cumsessed
JSgsRw7.png

Ha, New-ka Laylee. This looks like the game they should have initially released. High quality textures and lighting makes a huge difference and removes the flat plasticky look of the game.

The larger picture is extremely promising for Playtonic.

They’ve acknowledged that their first game didn’t live up to the hype, and they’ve been able to analyse and articulate why publicly in interviews.

Following this disappointment they didn’t panic and instead shifted gears to work quietly on a brilliant 2D platformer, avoiding the unnecessary pressure of a public hype cycle.

Now, 5 years on and with fans clamouring for a new game, they’ve opted to revisit their original work and give it the added time and attention it needed and should have had to start with. Clearly they care about their IP and what they’ve put out to revisit it in this way, but I do hope this is a free update for owners of the game.

1pqjRIY.png

cSrxRPY.png

aSqxiC8.png

qnDoC55.png

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Please tell me this isn't their new game. What have they been doing since 2019? It's been 5 years.
Well, for comparison, the Shovel Knight guys have been living off that one game for almost a decade at this point.
Still, there’s no need to remake a 7-year old average game like this. Polishing it up a bit would be nice, but it wasn’t remotely on par with Banjo.

Is Impossible Lair worth playing? Had it on steam for years and never bothered installing it
Impossible Lair is basically DKC4. A fantastic game with an OST for the ages.

Codes 208

remake doesnt bode well imo. I would’ve preferred it to be kazooie and less tooie (with an excessive amount of loading screens included)

Banjo64

cumsessed
The 2nd game flopped hard compared to the first game which actually sold decent.
I guess they probably dont have the funds to make a brand new game.
They definitely do. They have investment from Tencent, opened a publishing arm, moved to a new office in Leamington Spa and have been expanding in to a much larger outfit.

Last edited:
Well, for comparison, the Shovel Knight guys have been living off that one game for almost a decade at this point.
Still, there’s no need to remake a 7-year old average game like this. Polishing it up a bit would be nice, but it wasn’t remotely on par with Banjo.

Impossible Lair is basically DKC4. A fantastic game with an OST for the ages.
I would vastly prefer just a new IP from them, vs a sequel to YL 1. Hopefully they have something brand new cooking.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
These guys have two games...Yacht Club has made, co-developed, and/or published the following: https://www.yachtclubgames.com/games
BOVzrV7.jpeg

Most of the "DLC" they released for shovel knight was gigantic in scope and added a tremendous amount of replay and value. I know (or at least hope) you are not compared the two studios, but rather the way those studios have chosen to augment (or milk I guess) their catalogue.
Outside of their studio politics, Yacht Club has a phenomenal release record and an amazing level of open communication with their community. All of their dev streams for mina the hollower have been first rate and they clearly know their stuff when it comes to platformers.
Playtonic has a mountain to climb to be compared to Yacht Club imo.

Last edited:
Much as I loved Yooka-Laylee and its Impossible Lair spin-off, as a huge Rare fan of games such as Banjo-Kazooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day, I would personally rather have seen a proper sequel to the first game rather than a remake. Yooka-Laylee only came out in 2017 so it isn't really that old and still looks great on PC in my opinion.

Top Bottom