• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yooka-Laylee remake Yooka-Replaylee announced for PC

MagnesD3

This game needed alot of work to be good, I gave it 4 hours and was mid tbh. Npcs felt bland and random, dialogue felt off, powers like the lick ability were lame, it was just overall a game failing to impersonate an incredible game.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Sad Gordon Ramsay GIF by Hell's Kitchen

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Original was pretty good. I hope they can profit from this, but it seems unlikely. For some reason, no one liked this game, and I don't see any major changes that will change this.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Platinumed the original Yooka Laylee, and also The Impossible Lair. Disappointed their next game is a remaster......hopefully we hear about the 3rd game in the series soon as well.

Mowcno

Doesn't look like that much of an improvement. If they released it on console I might buy it at a steep discount but don't feel the need to upgrade on PC.

lestar

Not a fan of this trend where devs are remaking games that aren't even 10 years old
Yooka-Laylee is a 9 years old game, that's more than the 6 years gap between RE1 and Remake, and the 8 years gap between pokemon red/blue and Firered/Leafgreen

Dazraell

Gold Member
Yooka-Laylee is a 9 years old game, that's more than the 6 years gap between RE1 and Remake, and the 8 years gap between pokemon red/blue and Firered/Leafgreen
Yooka-Laylee was released in 2017, it's 7 years old game

They'd have to do a pretty thorough overhaul for me to be interested.

I completed the OG 100%, and although I liked it quite a bit, the game falls off hard after the first level, plus it just feels like a knockoff of B&K as a whole. Not bad, and it has plenty of positives, but nothing great either. Strange choice to remake this, instead of focusing on a proper sequel. Seems like a waste of resources.

That first world felt like it was fully realized and where they'd spent all of their time, especially once you unlock the second phase and see the scope of it all. Everything after that felt like a disappointment by comparison. I can't imagine them raising the quality of the other worlds to that first one in this remake.

The whole thing definitely felt like a 'first attempt', with a story that had 0 effort put into it, and a mixed tone, like the developers were unsure if this was a game for kids, or adults with nostalgia for the 90s.

You definitely have to be a fan of 90s platformers to enjoy it, cause it's straight up that with modern visuals. I am, so I could appreciate it. I hope for them they can raise the bar with this remake so that general audiences can enjoy it as well.

Last edited:

Esppiral

I really wanted to like the game but it didn't click with me even though I tried several times, good for those that care about this game.

Dazraell

Gold Member
you're right, I confused the kickstarter campaign release date which it was in 2015. It's still in the range of the old remakes examples I mentioned
Well, the remaining two could have much stronger case considering the technological difference between hardware they launched on and hardware they were remade. Personally speaking, I don't feel this applies to Yooka-Laylee. But regardless, I'm not a fan of this trend in general

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I rather liked the first one but I don't really see a need for an update. I'd rather have a 3D sequel that makes improvements over the original.

I don't think theres people asking for this game to be remaked honestly. But if they are up to the task of heavy tunning this game and make the plataforming feel like it's a plataformer then good for them.

I think these two comments need to go together.

Because of all the comments saying "second game was better" anyone who played the original knows the main issue was how floaty it was, now the trailer itself states there going back over that, I noticed the PoV is further away now (better for platforming) I mean imagine if this remake improves all the issues the original had, would it still not be worth playing?

This has me... semi optimistic, but if the reviews say it no longer feels like shit to play and closer to the games it wanted to be the spiritual successor to, il pick it up.

They had something with the second game. The actual levels couldn't be as good as Donkey Kong, but all the new twists made up for it. Only the puzzles on the Zelda-style overworld could have been a little better. And the lair should have maybe been a little easier - even with all levels finished, you will still need countless tries.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Much as I loved Yooka-Laylee and its Impossible Lair spin-off, as a huge Rare fan of games such as Banjo-Kazooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day, I would personally rather have seen a proper sequel to the first game rather than a remake. Yooka-Laylee only came out in 2017 so it isn't really that old and still looks great on PC in my opinion.
This is more like the "next gen" version i guess, just a nice upgrade before they reveal the sequel but looks like they made some real effort to improve it

Rodolink

they should've made a sequel.
the first one had a bit of the Banjo Kazooie charm specially with the dialogue and characters but gameplay wise was clanky asf and very unbalanced in some parts

Krathoon

Gold Member
I played the original a little bit. It is really good.

Are they going to offer the remake for free for the people that already have it?

Divus

I backed the first game, but never got a code for it. Jumped thru hopes trying to get it sorted and when I heard it was a bit meh I gave up. Can't believe it's been long enough a remake is being worked on.

Top Bottom