• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You Have Bad Taste In Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leon

Aaaaaahahahaha!! I don't usually laugh to these kinda bashes, but DAMN!

"Do you sleep with 12 year olds? Then why do you listen to their music?"

Shiiiit....she got publically SERVED.

haha, genius, thanks for this site.
lol.gif

MIMIC

Banned
I emailed the guy:

I see you harassing people about a very subjective topic (what is said to be "bad," in your opinion), but no where in the videos or on your site do you indicate what "good" music is.

So I ask you, what do you see as "good music," if there is any, in your opinion?

And he replied:

Well good music is that which has been shown scientifically to not be bad music. Personally, lately I've been enjoying the sounds of Fela Kuti, Queens of the Stone Age, Sly & The Family Stone, Igor Stravinsky, Johnny Cash, Sigur Ros, Death in Vegas, Gary Jules, The Flaming Lips, The Standard, Eric B. & Rakim, AC/DC, and Nick Drake.

Thank you for your support. Much appreciated.
-Eman Laerton

The only people I recognize are Johnny Cash, The Flaming Lips, and AC/DC.

If he says so.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

If he says so.
Wow. If we have people who can't recognize someone like Igor Stravinsky, you know something, somewhere, is fucked up.

NLB2

Banned
Why the hell do people who don't know anything about real music always bring up Igor Stravinsky? Is there some reason for this? Did Kurt Cobain tell everyone to think Stavinsky is good or something like that? Eh, its probably because they've heard about Le Sacre du Printemps' premiere.

MIMIC

Banned
Marconelly said:
Wow. If we have people who can't recognize someone like Igor Starvinsky, you know something, somewhere, is fucked up.

*Googles the guy*

And I should know about him?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Jonny said:
I don't particularly like the music he listed as bad, either, but I really hate elitist pricks.

Maybe, but that stuff in the first post? That's just bad music.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Good music can only exist if there is bad music. And most of the stuff he listed is the epitome of bad (popular) music today. I saw the site a couple months ago and thought it was hilarious. The Linkin Park one was gold.

nitewulf

heh, all the artists/bands in that list are pretty bad. i think christina is hot but bad music it is.

he listens to fela kuti and the flaming lips? respect + 1.

NLB2

Banned
demon said:
Good music can only exist if there is bad music.
Why is that?

I don't know what you consider to be good music, but I really like Beethoven's third symphony. Say no other music existed except for this symphony. Would that mean Beethoven 3 isn't good?
If you're trying to argue that all music is relative in its value, I would probably agree with you. But all music is relative in its value to all possible music, regardless of whether or not there is any actual music to compare it to.

NLB2

Banned
Marconelly said:
Wow. If we have people who can't recognize someone like Igor Starvinsky, you know something, somewhere, is fucked up.
I blame the dilapidation of western music on the fall of the arisotocracy and the rise of the bourgeoisie.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
MIMIC said:

If he says so.

You've probably heard Nick Drake. That VW commercial with the song Pink Moon.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
And I should know about him?
Yes. Classical music may not be hip or popular, but that doesn't mean it's irrelevant.

Btw, my misspelling of Stravinsky's name was not meant to sound like a joke :p

Pattergen

Eh, I usually stick to the 'to each his own' thing when it comes to musical tastes. But anyone who is an actual fan of Linkin Park is either delusional, cheesy, or someone who loves a good train wreck.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
RevenantKioku said:
You've probably heard Nick Drake. That VW commercial with the song Pink Moon.
Pink Moon is a fantastic album, btw.

It's no Evanescence, though.

"Sir, if that chalkboard is broken, you will recieve a summons for $19.99. And considering your job, that will take you 7 hours of work to pay." lol, you know the way he remains all calm and nonchalant burns these fuckers off even more. "OMG LICK DEEZ NUTZ DUDE!"

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
The Hoobastank one is pretty funny. As is the Linkin park one and the Adema one.

"Sir you will have to pay 19.99 which means you will have to work 7 hours at your current job."

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Evanescence and Linkin Park I can stand.. They still do kinda suck. And Timberlake admitedly has some funky tracks. The rest are musical sludge.

White Man

For the most part, he has decent taste in music. Stravinsky, Sigur Ros, and Sly and the Family Stone would make spanking focal pieces on a boot-knockin' mix tape.

ElyrionX

I find that most people who call us true music lovers, "elitist", just don't get it. When you have been exposed to a sufficient amount and variety of music, you will realise that mainstream pop music and the associated bands tend to be truly trashy, uninspiried, untalented, unoriginal and potentially dangerous to one's intellect.

We are not elitist. We just tell it like it is because that's what it truly is.

IMO, the biggest blight on the music landscape today is Linkin Park. Has a more untalented, undeserving and pretentious band ever existed? I think not.....

nitewulf

yeah, limp bizkit. thing about linkin park is, they are all about the catchy hooks, and you might as well listen to it when you're 14 and the world sucks.
but i do expect ppl to start delving into other stuff such as classic rock, world music, jazz, classical as they get older. and suddenly one day you realize what elyrion said is absolutely true.
why get stuck with linkin park? thats aweful.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
I find that most people who call us true music lovers, "elitist", just don't get it. When you have been exposed to a sufficient amount and variety of music, you will realise that mainstream pop music and the associated bands tend to be truly trashy, uninspiried, untalented, unoriginal and potentially dangerous to one's intellect.

:rolleyes:

Ill Saint

Who cares. If it sounds good to your ears, that's all that matters. Ragging on someones musical tastes is elitism... But saying that, expanding your knowledge of music beyond MTV and what the mainstream media shoves down your throat is always a good idea.

I wish I could remember what post it was that I gave a nice decent reasoning on why people just shouldn't take music so damn seriously because I rathered enjoyed it. God forbid someone likes music or any shape or form. Since everyone has to just plain like everything everyone else does.

Get over it. People have different tastes. There is no reason that any person has to like a certain band. There's also no reason to judge someone for the music they listen to just because you dislike the quality of it. Who gives a flying fuck in the end? Music is an art, and it's just like other styles where some people just don't get it but understand and get emotional over others. It doesn't make a single bit of difference.

Yes there is some music that is more generic in others, and yes certain bands may excell in something that others don't. But you know what, maybe people are just into that sort of thing. There is no one on this Earth who is able to go about point and fingering at people for such a silly thing and get away with it as a decent person. Enjoy what you like and leave it at that. People have fucking different tastes.

I don't mind the squabbles at all, but when it becomes a serious thing where I see random insults because of it, just like politics. It's worn down to the stupidest thing I've ever seen and I'm growing tired of it. Yeah, this post isn't going to do shit, but it certainlly is going to make me feel better in the end.

There are people who like music that comes off generic, or juvenile. There are some people who like music that's often offkey or lacks any kind of talent. Some people like cult classics and older stuff. Some people enjoy obscure and rarities. Some people enjoy foreign music which may or may not include the previous styles. That does make any of it less than anything as, it's all art and it's all being enjoyed and I think that's what it's worth. Despite all the money involved in this, it's easily to tell who's truely in it for the money and who's not, but as long as the person listening gets something out of it, I think the goal is achieved.

There is no perfect band, there isn't even a near perfect band to me. That is all something that the listener makes up to try and justify their likes. Just enjoy it, don't kill each other over it. It's great if you don't like something because as it turns out every single song sounds the same to you. Maybe that's not the case with others, and maybe there are some people who DO like that one style and don't want that person to turn away from it. Yeah, let's throw them out in the cold. Hell, there's some people who can't stand when bands change styles withe very album and just wish they had stayed the same.

I understand that some people are trying to give advice and push people into another realm. First off, you're being WAY too pushy about it. You don't tell them off and that their music sucks or can't compare to someone else. You can really be polite about such things. Expanding you tastes is a great idea, and everyone should do it. But not everyone should be flying their tastes in others faces as the end all means of listening to music. Share the music, don't choke someone with it or slap them in the face.

Stop criticizing music as if you are the god of all answers and your tastes rule over everyone elses. On both sides. It means absolutely nothing. I might as well not eat chicken since some people think it tastes like shit. This is about all I get out of this. Just stop taking things to heart so often and be a little more respectful about things.

kablooey

I've eased up on judging people's music tastes of late. If people like Linkin Park, that's fine for them, and it doesn't bother me. I just don't quite understand the phenomenon myself, having listened to music that I think is much better, and more worthwhile. But what do I know.

BlackMage

Banned
ElyrionX said:

We are not elitist. We just tell it like it is because that's what it truly is.

What the fuck?

kablooey

I should have said...I have a real problem with what this guy says about music being "scientifically proven to be not bad". Music is not science, and I wouldn't want everyone to adhere to the same rules of music "taste", because that would be boring. Even if it meant that everyone would be listening to Radiohead. :p

impirius said:
You have a good point...

...but c'mon, that guy's hilarious. :)

Oh hah, I don't think this is the first post about this site as I did post my love for it once. I love it to death it is hilarious. I was just referring to some of the posters who were taking it, and the discussion too close to heart. It's a site that's meant to be funny, and not really taken seriously. Infact, I look at it more as a twist on the elitist thinking to the point of a mockery, but gosh the crowd reaction is hilarious.

Leon

Thing is, most people who criticize others for their taste in music don't realize that not everyone puts so much importance on music.

For instance : a chick listening to Justin Timberlake/Britney Spears/etc... does so because it makes her move, it makes her dance, etc...I can't criticize her for not listening to Led Zeppelin, for example, that would be stupid. She doesn't look for instrumental or lyrical prowess, she wants something to play in the background while she puts her make up on on her way to the club. Same thing for Nelly/Ludacris/etc...fans.

Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit fans, these guys mostly want music to headbang to, to get angry to, etc...They like the genre for what the genre offers, so it's pointless for us to tell them to listen to something else. If they get off on screams and power riffs, what would they gain from Sigur Ros, Nick Drake, Johnny Cash, or Gary Jules? It's silly. It brings them nothing, so why would they make the switch?

The reason many get pissed about it is because they think everyone takes music as seriously as they do. But bottom line, most people listening to commercial pop want something to dance to. They don't care about the rest. The obligatory ballad is just a bonus, that they force themselves to like. Boyband fans are head over heels in love with the members, they don't place any importance about the music, whatever they might say. Limp Bizkit and the like are generic, sure, but they are loud, angry, and most of all accessible to people who need something to give out a "pissed off" attitude. That's mostly what the hardcore fans are about. Etc...etc...Not everyone listens to music for the same reasons.

I bet most people hating on a band can find something they liked in it if they tried. I can appreciate anything. I seriously appreciate Justin Timberlake's "Cry me a river", for instance, as it reminds me a whole lot of Michael Jackson's style. I was also one of the first to like "In the end"'s hook by Linkin Park, even though I've never bought/downloaded a tune of theirs. It's stupid to dismiss anything. I give everything a listen -and I do mean everything- and keep what I like. I've got nothing to lose, and only music to gain.

I can also appreciate a well put together bashing though. :p

GG-Duo

i dont mind that people listen to bad music
ie. i listen to hk pop all the time
but, uh, it kinda irks me when they don't try to go just a littttttle bit beyond the radio hits

it's like, c'mon man, the internet is right there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom