• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You just bought a new game and it's ready to play..... you do this...

What prep and research do you do before playing?

• I dive right in and figure out things myself

Votes: 156 86.7%
  • I did a bit of research (quickly skimming gun or class guides) and now dive in

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • I did a lot of prep first (detailed level up strategies, map layouts, glitches, shortcuts etc...)

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters

NinjaBoiX

I’ll always dive right in, but often stop for some advice. Like which weapon is best for my class, or how best to level up for a certain build, especially in Souls games with no respec.

I dunno, I enjoy it more knowing that I’m definitely heading towards the best my character could be with games like that, rather than just winging it and hoping I don’t waste hours and hours of progress.

DelireMan7

Dive right into it.

For some, I might have watch some video review to see how the gameplay looks like but I never watch some guides or anything before I am done with the game

bender

What time is it?
Dive right in. I can definitely suffer from paralysis by analysis. Reading about min/maxing is also a fools errand a lot of the time for me as I rarely find myself that dedicated to any game.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Once I've decided to get a game, I want to know nothing more. I want the game to show it's story, explain it's mechanics, etc - that's part of experience you buy.

Knowing what's going to happen, or how a particular technique can be exploited beforehand would significantly diminish the experience for me. The idea of researching how to play a game I've already decided to play is the opposite of what I want to do. Surprises and finding out what works are desirable, imo.

Last edited:

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
There isn’t an option if it’s a FROM game where I hold it, stroke it, kiss it and spin round with it in my hands lovingly glaring at the box art….

I dive right in. Then, if I get nowhere and the first play is a complete failure, I might look up a few strategies or tutorials to get me started

GeekyDad

...Dive in? Or research?
Explain Denzel Washington GIF

You already bought the game...now is the time to research?

laynelane

I prefer to avoid spoilers for games I want to play and researching it definitely falls under that. The time when I will look up stuff for games is after I've completed them - just in case I missed anything.

EDMIX

Multi-vote in case you guys choose an option pending what game it is.

Dive in? Or research?

I actually always research a bit with RPGs. I want to know what does what, what is the world like and then start playing as I don't want to miss anything important and start leveling up wrong or something.

Most games that are not RPGs I actually just jump right the fuck in, but with RPGs I tend to like to read a lot, scan the world and its lore, read over menus etc. The only game where I actually hated that I did this with was funny enough CP2077. Though I shit on the game a lot, I was hoping I was wrong at launch and was excited to make a cool build and really make my character my own.....only to play the fucking game and realize majority of those "choices" don't even mean shit. I even redid a few saves to even see if saying something different as a "street kid" even fucking did anything......twas a fucking waste lol

Thats a massive exception though as its not like all RPGs will just legit fucking lie to you about a series of shit, 99.9% the information at the beginning literally is what the game is vs....scam lol

So I'll still play RPGs that way from the start regardless.

Dive in, the fun is working things out and exploring. Only if I'm stuck around a dozen times on one element that's the one thing I will research and go right back to on own.

Spaceman292

Banned
Skip all tutorials and just figure it out.
I tried playing Scarlet Nexus and I swear it's NOTHING but tutorials. It's all stupid shit that you don't even need to know, and on top of that the important things are buried along with all the nonsense so you forget it anyway.

RafterXL

Actually, the first thing I do is go into settings and get everything configured, except for when asshole developers make you start playing as soon as the game loads and won't let you change anything at the beginning. Other than that, I don't prep at all. Not knowing things and learning what's what is half the fun.

EDMIX

Play other shit because my backlog is insane..
Then try out the new game for 40 min and think..

Yeah i will play that someday

Same. I'm putting off buying anything new for some time. My backlog is just a shame.

I have no place even looking for a PS5 to play BF with my fucking backlog lol

We'll wait for next year and we have some time and I finished some games. I remember last year literally buying a bunch of used games off of Ebay and Amazon for like 10 bucks each and was like "damn I can't wait in the next 18 months to play this" lol

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Same. I'm putting off buying anything new for some time. My backlog is just a shame.

I have no place even looking for a PS5 to play BF with my fucking backlog lol

We'll wait for next year and we have some time and I finished some games. I remember last year literally buying a bunch of used games off of Ebay and Amazon for like 10 bucks each and was like "damn I can't wait in the next 18 months to play this" lol

Hahaha.. i bought KH3 because it was 4 euro’s
I have no intention to ever play that sheit.

Vagswarm

Play other shit because my backlog is insane..
Then try out the new game for 40 min and think..

Yeah i will play that someday
I'm with you there, except for the trying it out part. It goes into the backlog until it's fully ready, lol. Typically the games I buy are on sale and not new.

Unless it's a highly anticipated title... Diablo 2: Ressurected got played right away, which hasn't happened in a while.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I'm with you there, except for the trying it out part. It goes into the backlog until it's fully ready, lol. Typically the games I buy are on sale and not new.

Unless it's a highly anticipated title... Diablo 2: Ressurected got played right away, which hasn't happened in a while.
lol i did the same for D2. I double dipped and basically play nothing besides that. (well and i binged on dread)

Miles708

I'll play right away BUT FIRST i must check all the available options in great detail.
No game will played if i didn't check all the options first.

EDIT: also i'll do a "test run" with a secondary account before diving in with my primary one. That's the tradition, and that's how we will continue doing it.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
For large games like open world, I usually browse some tips for beginners or 10 things you wish you knew before staring AAA game.

Paasei

I tend to avoid Multiplayer games for a reason that you can vote for here: That everything is already figured out from start to finish before the is even launched. Boring shit.

Aion002

Dive in.

Part of the fun for me is discovering stuff.

Playing Demon's Souls on the ps3 at the asian lauch with zero knowledge is probably the most memorable gaming memory that I have.

Obviously this also means that sometimes I end up owning crap like Neverdead and Lords of The Fallen... Still...

200.gif

Only might research MMO's so im not fucked end game but even then theres really no point since everything lets you respec these days.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Let it sit on the shelf for 1 month as there will be inevitably other things to do first.

Rinse repeat. Story of my adult gaming life.

SJRB

Gold Member
Who the fuck reads up on walkthroughs, maps, glitches and whatnot before playing a new game?

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I just dive in and play, discovering things along the way. I'm not looking up anything online until I cleared at least NG+

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Just dive in like a chad.

Wished I did some research before playing Diablo II, my current build kinda sucks.

TidusYuna

For long RPGs, I check and make sure there are no missables while avoiding spoilers. Also check if there are true endings and what they require while avoiding spoilers. Most everything else i just jump in.

Dr. Suchong

A friend of a friend of mine bought Prince of Persia on the Master system which was a pretty big deal back then, it was a good port iirc
Anyway, we were eager to hear his thoughts on it because we couldn't afford a copy ourselves.
He replied that he hadn't played it yet because he was reading the manual.
This went on for several days.
It blew my mind how anyone could pore over a manual so fastidiously without caving in to just slamming the cart in the machine and jumping straight in through sheer excitement.

Dive in, play it for a bit then read on GAF how it's unplayable shit because the PS5 version is one frame per second higher.

Shubh_C63

Researching a bit is a force of habit by now. Play for 30 mins, and then probably browse a lot about it during sleep time.

StormCell

I usually dive right in, but I'll admit that for D2: Resurrected I did a little research into some beginner builds in order to changes things up from how I usually play. I have actually found that this has helped my enjoyment a lot.

Top Bottom