• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Favorite Games of 2019

I want to start a series of threads for GAF's favorite games of each year starting with 2019 and going backwards, if people care to participate. I didn't start with 2020 because it's not done and if people game like I do the follow-up year is often spent playing games you missed the year before. How often is your GOTY decided before that year even ends? For me almost never, though I often have a good idea if something big enough launches.

So... here's my top games of 2019...

(These are in order)

FUfcWeF.jpg

kR9I5DL.jpg

9nLP7Q5.png

CScaJvv.jpg

4Lb1xCX.jpg

yhH7xch.jpg

JUTUral.jpg

cuvBP2R.png

WsWVs2U.png

I20KGFg.jpg

ABPPVSG.jpg

KqSGh1U.png

There are games I still haven't gotten to, some games I listed I haven't yet beaten and it's unclear how thorough my source is for everything released in 2019, so who knows if I missed something.

Sekiro is the main game that could rise when I get deeper into it. As a big fan of From's Souls games it should have instantly been my number 1 but the way they handled combat with Sekiro was and has been tough for me in a way the Souls series only ever was when I first engaged them.

Old Retro

Days Gone for me but it was not a runaway winner. It, like my other favorites, were sequals or remakes - RE2, Division 2, Bloodstained/Castlevania SOTN clone. I'll throw in COD MW, it's pretty damn fun (except for rampant multiplayer cheating) and still going strong.

Death Stranding = masterpiece
The Division 2 = the only game as a service I ever enjoyed
The Outer Worlds = mediocre to the bone, I miss Fallout 1/2
Days Gone = piece of shit

kunonabi

Haven't got around to playing much of what I bought so at the moment:

1. Shenmue III
2. Death Stranding
3. Samurai Shodown

Had the Leon portion of the RE2 remake not been such trash I might have included it.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
For me it was Sekiro, DMC V and RE2.
Didn't liked Astral Chain, and The Outer Worlds was a huge disappointment.

Edit: totally a jap year. What are western developers doing?

Last edited:
So far my favorite 2019 games are Death Stranding and Sekiro, but I still haven't played most of the other big hits from last year.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I didn’t get Blasphemous back when it came out. I just got it because of the OP. On sale over at the NA PSN store. Interesting how New Dawn made E Explosive Zombie top list. I talked to someone who said it felt like they forced finding resources and it was such a slug to get through because of that.

Bolivar687

Banned
call-of-duty-modern-warfare-hero-banner-03-ps4-us-30may19

Modern Warfare was both the return to form and evolution I had been hoping to see from the series. CoD had been stagnating with its three-lane hallways and these maps added just enough asymmetry and verticality to revive the series emphasis on situational awareness and moment to moment decision making. There were a ton of new innovations and while not all were successful, this managed to simultaneously return to its roots and herald a new era for the series.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I want to start a series of threads for GAF's favorite games of each year starting with 2019 and going backwards, if people care to participate. I didn't start with 2020 because it's not done and if people game like I do the follow-up year is often spent playing games you missed the year before. How often is your GOTY decided before that year even ends? For me almost never, though I often have a good idea if something big enough launches.

So... here's my top games of 2019...

(These are in order)

FUfcWeF.jpg

kR9I5DL.jpg

9nLP7Q5.png

CScaJvv.jpg

4Lb1xCX.jpg

yhH7xch.jpg

JUTUral.jpg

cuvBP2R.png

WsWVs2U.png

I20KGFg.jpg

ABPPVSG.jpg

KqSGh1U.png

There are games I still haven't gotten to, some games I listed I haven't yet beaten and it's unclear how thorough my source is for everything released in 2019, so who knows if I missed something.

Sekiro is the main game that could rise when I get deeper into it. As a big fan of From's Souls games it should have instantly been my number 1 but the way they handled combat with Sekiro was and has been tough for me in a way the Souls series only ever was when I first engaged them.
Easy Resident evil II Remake and Sekiro

Days Gone is one of the worst actually.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
For me.
Astral Chain
get

Sekiro
VTGPJXg.gif

Fire Emblem Three Houses
GrandioseSameButterfly-size_restricted.gif

Luigi's Mansion 3
tumblr_pszuocwFVn1xkhvtbo5_500.gifv

Link's Awakening
PhonyOddballIbisbill-size_restricted.gif

Atelier Ryza

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Kingdom Hearts 3
KINGDOM-HEARTS-%E2%85%A2_20190129125348_.gif

Bloodstained Ritual of the Night
TheOleDragonShootSamuraiGame.gif

Dragon Quest XI S
giphy.gif

Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition
EverlastingAnnualHornshark-max-1mb.gif
Amazing list!!!

SpiceRacz

Pretty lackluster year. I didn't play as many newer titles, but what I did play was mostly underwhelming. These ones stood out the most to me.

Apex Legends

Bloodstained

Slay The Spire

Blasphemous

Control

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
So initially when I made this post I’d regarded 2019 as a mediocre year but then I remembered games like

The surprisingly brilliant Luigi’s Mansion 3 — the best 3rd party Nintendo game I’ve ever played.

DMC5 — one of the best games in a genre defining series and a shockingly good return to form.

Sekiro — FromSoft are brilliant, and although this was probably my least favorite game by them, it was still good. Damn good.

Disco Elysium — where the fuck did this game come from? Did this game just revive the point-and-click detective genre with a... brilliant game?

Jedi: Fallen Order: Surprisingly competent Star Wars Uncharted-lite, with some Dark Souls mixed in. Finally a Star Wars game that wasn’t an embarrassment to the brand (it’s actually better than any of the movies of the last few years).

Pretty solid year, now that I think about it.

Last edited:
Haven't tried Sekiro yet, because I'd seen enough videos of people throwing their controllers and TVs out the window, and I love my electronics. But judging from all the comments here, I'll give it a go this holiday. I started playing Days Gone day-1, no pun intended, and it was a mess. The developers, Bend Studio, released almost daily patches the first couple of weeks, but the frame rate still would drop drastically, abysmally when I was riding around town. Got quite dizzy playing it. I did plat the game, and like what I saw, so maybe I'll give it another play through now that everything has been sorted out.

Nioh was my favorite 2019 game
Jedi: Fallen Order was my 2nd favorite

and the following in no particular order:

Horizon Zero Dawn
RE 2
Borderlands 3
Gran Turismo Sport
FFVII PS4 (haven't played the remake yet)
COD: Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered
COD: Modern Warfare (I was having a lot of fun with the multiplayer until the game grew egregiously too large, and I had to delete it)
Monster Hunter World

Animal Crossing: New Horizon
Ring Fit Adventure (playing it daily with my wife still)
Octopath Travelers
Let's Go Evee
Cat Quest
Mario Odyssey
Mario and Rabbits
Luigi Mansion 3

Last edited:
I didn’t get Blasphemous back when it came out. I just got it because of the OP. On sale over at the NA PSN store. Interesting how New Dawn made E Explosive Zombie top list. I talked to someone who said it felt like they forced finding resources and it was such a slug to get through because of that.

New Dawn isn't great but if you want to explore a similar but different environ to Far Cry 5 with added super powers it's pretty fun. My top list is pretty generous, as in there aren't many games I played that didn't make the list, but there were a few.

Metro Exodus and Control both on PC were my games of the year last year. They both are fantastic for different reason and it's hard for me to pick one over the other.

I was stunned that more people didn't give Metro Exodus the attention it deserves. It's one of the best looking games on PC and the immersion is second to none.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Metro Exodus and Control both on PC were my games of the year last year. They both are fantastic for different reason and it's hard for me to pick one over the other.

I was stunned that more people didn't give Metro Exodus the attention it deserves. It's one of the best looking games on PC and the immersion is second to none.

I thought it was trying to do more ambitious things than Last Light did. Last Light felt like it wasn’t hard to get lost in. Exodus had some areas where it was just one big open area. Last Light was an excellent title of last gen. It prolly showcased the best games could get before the next gen of games arrived.

Top Bottom