• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite Johnny Depp flicks.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Tomorrow Netflix releases that documentary on that awful public spat.
Instead my brain just started remembering all the great performances Depp has given us.

From the top of my head:

-Edward Scissorhands
-Public Enemies
-Donnie Brasco
-Fear and loathing in Las Vegas
-Sleepy Hollow

And while "Black Mass" isn't a home run I always get a kick watching that scene. David Harbour holding his own makes it all worthwhile.

What are your favorites?

INC

Blow is underrated tbh

Fear and loathing is sick tho

He has one of the most memorable deaths in nightmare on elm Street too

johnny depp horror GIF

kunonabi

Sleepy hollow
Blow
Rango
Charlie and the chocolate factory
Ed wood
Edward scissorhands
Cry baby
First pirates

Haven't seen black mass yet.

Esca

He will always be captain Jack Sparrow to me even though I watched and liked plenty of his stuff before

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Black Mass is the only one I own with him in it and that I actually put on repeat so probably that one lol he was a beast in it super creepy and intimidating I wouldn't fukk with this johnny depp didn't know he could play a dark as$ character that well

Even Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street?

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. This, arguably, is his best role.
I do not understand the love for Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. So much mumbling, incoherent narration, odd behavior, and no real plot to speak of.

That song sounds like a half-baked Earth Angel by The Penguins.

For me Blow and Donnie Brasco take the cake. Love his Jack Sparrow character in Pirates of the Caribbean series, but do not much enjoy the squidface duology.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Looking at everyone's recommendations, I'm not sure I like much of his work.

I remember thinking that Donnie Brasco was good though. 26 year old movie. Wow.

Last edited:

Trunx81

I remember seeing Sleepy Hollow in cinemas, not expecting anything and in the end laughing so hard. Great performance, comparable with Pirates, where he carried the whole franchise.
Blow is also one of his greatest, his "Wolf of Wall Street", so to speak.

But the best Depp-role was on Life´s too short.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Prolly my favourite actor.

Best movie from him is and will always be The Ninth Gate. Not because he‘s so good in it but because the movie is pure crack and I love it.

OmegaSupreme OmegaSupreme Ah, a man of culture.

Last edited:

Rival

Gold Member
Fear & Loathing is my favorite. Blow and pirates are awesome. I also love Gilbert Grape and Public Enemies. He’s got tons of great flicks.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Sleepy Hollow, Fear and Loathing.
Pirates is overrated. The first one put me to sleep. Depp alone can’t really carry it, despite being arguably his best performance.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Ed Wood
The Ninth Gate
Dead Man
Edward Scissorhands
Cry Baby
Pirates of The Caribbean: Curse of The Black Pearl

Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy
Edward Scissorhands
Sleepy Hollow
Black Mass
Finding Neverland
The Ninth Gate

Good on you for mentioning the Ninth gate. Thats an underrated gem that most people missed. Frank Langella is great in it too.

Prolly my favourite actor.

Best movie from him is and will always be The Ninth Gate. Not because he‘s so good in it but because the movie is pure crack and I love it.

OmegaSupreme OmegaSupreme Ah, a man of culture.

The Ninth Gate
Pirates.

Amazing to see so much love for this movie that a lot of people have never seen. This movie is incredible. Johnny Depp is great as well, he plays a subdued role but the way he plays off the crazies is just amazing.

Top Bottom