• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite Playstation console ?

What is your favorite Playstation console?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Orta

Banned
PS1 was iconic. Have such fond memories of Tomb Raider, RR Type4, Kula Word, Doom and the obvious big hitters like RE and MGS. My interest in console gaming started to wane at some point in the PS2's lifetime (in favour of the PC) which was unfortunate but stuff like Onimusha and GTA3 were all time favourites. DVD playback was great too.

The PS3 & 4 passed me by, I have both along with a pretty extensive library but have played very little of either. How about this.... I have Uncharted 4, Spiderman, God of War, The Last of Us remastered and Horizon Zero Dawn for my PS4 and have put in the grand total if zero hours on all of them! They're on the backlog though with about a hundred other games.

So, PS1, PS2 and n/a.

Last edited:
PS2 for me. I was mid teens and the games were fantastic. It took what the PS1 did and just bumped it up that bit more to the point I remember thinking "WOW" straight away and loved the releases on it

• Bully
  • Burnout
  • Timesplittters 2
  • WWE Here comes the Pain
  • Ico
  • God of War
  • MGS 3
Loved them all and it really ignited a passion for those types of games as it took the PS1 foundations on some of them and built on it.

Also, coming back to this, although PS2 was my Favourite, the games that were on PS1, although not as expansive as PS2, were phenomenal for gaming in general

• Tekken
  • Destruction Derby
  • Resident Evil
  • MGS
  • Colin McCrae Rally
  • Worms
  • Twisted Metal
  • Driver
  • Final Fantasy
  • Tomb Raider
  • Crash Bandicoot

Last edited:

Mihos

Gold Member
It's not really fair, since my PS3 is backward compatible to all of them.

My real answer is, which ever one I am playing right now.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Gold Member
I’m either having deja vu or this is the third or fourth time someone has made this exact thread in the last few years

that aside: PS2 > ps4 (though they’re very close) > PS1 >>>>> PS3

Last edited:
Why do I feel all the people voting for 4 are too young to remember the first and second consoles?
I'm pretty old for this and I voted PS4.

Loved the PSX back in the days (FF VII, Castlevania sotn, the alundra games, a couple of schumps, Musashi, probably more)... But I don't tend to go back to many of them.

Then I never god a PS2 (was more into PC/other stuff... And felt like it killed Sega so I was resentful given how I loved my Dreamcast)... I played the God of War games on the PS3.

Got a PS3 60gb late 2007 I think, mostly for the multimedia features and wipeout HD, played the God of war games on it (1, 2, 3)... Loved uncharted 2 & 3 (the games that forced me into accepting dual stick controls) TLoU... Many more, I had a great time playing that monster tower defense game in couch co-op mode with roommates and friends.

Now I got the PS4 and I think it gave me a great time from the get go, Killzone: SF kept me busy at first, a couple of favorites were remade for it and then I had a couple of indies and far cry 4 to keep me entertained until god of war, uc4 and TLoU2 hit... I had a great time this gen! Could not play as much because of the kids, but I showed my daughter the joys of couch co-op play with overcooked!

What a time to be alive!

Blue Spring

Read my tears about xbox here --->
PS2 > PS1 = PS4 > PS3
The PS1 and PS2 generation simply had an incredibly high amount of exciting new IPs that the later generations cant match because the cost of development. I have the PS4 at about the same level as the PS1 because the highest highst of PS4 games (Bloodborne, GOW) are higher than the best PS1 games.

Last edited:

Blue Spring

Read my tears about xbox here --->
PS1 by a lot, it changed everything. I like ps2 as well, but i never understood why many consider it in the goat conversation, that battle belongs to snes and ps1 alone.
The PS2 refined the 3D experience a whole lot and there are simply better games on the PS2 imo. Birth of DMC franchise, MGS3 is better than MGS1 etc.
That should not take away from the PS1 of course because its a battle for the best console itself.

I'm pretty old for this and I voted PS4.

Loved the PSX back in the days (FF VII, Castlevania sotn, the alundra games, a couple of schumps, Musashi, probably more)... But I don't tend to go back to many of them.

Then I never god a PS2 (was more into PC/other stuff... And felt like it killed Sega so I was resentful given how I loved my Dreamcast)... I played the God of War games on the PS3.

Got a PS3 60gb late 2007 I think, mostly for the multimedia features and wipeout HD, played the God of war games on it (1, 2, 3)... Loved uncharted 2 & 3 (the games that forced me into accepting dual stick controls) TLoU... Many more, I had a great time playing that monster tower defense game in couch co-op mode with roommates and friends.

Now I got the PS4 and I think it gave me a great time from the get go, Killzone: SF kept me busy at first, a couple of favorites were remade for it and then I had a couple of indies and far cry 4 to keep me entertained until god of war, uc4 and TLoU2 hit... I had a great time this gen! Could not play as much because of the kids, but I showed my daughter the joys of couch co-op play with overcooked!

What a time to be alive!

Mmmmm...God of War alone is almost good enough reason, imo. I adore that game.

Vol5

Playstation 1 for sure. It felt like magic back in the day and everywhere I looked there were new incredible games....plus that start up.

PS2, but will possibly be surpassed by PS4 (we'll see how the library rounds out).

Even though I grew up w friends who had Sony consoles, I bought my first Sony console (a PS2) around the same time as Wii/360/PS3 were out. Played through a lot of the classics before moving on to PS3. Then I revisited the PS2 again after the PS3 to enjoy a lot of the stuff I missed. Still enjoying the PS2 and still playing a decent variety of games on it.

psvr

It was an honor and pleasure to begin my PlayStation era by going 2D to 3D with Wipeout and to end it by again going 2D to 3D with Wipeout

iHaunter

Though between PS2 and PS4. Overall I would say PS4 had far more 10/10 games come out for me. Nier: Automata, GoW, Horizon, GoT, etc.

I feel like PS2 might win for nostalgia, I truly believe the PS4 was the best Playstation console in terms of quality of quantity of good games.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
All of them? But yeah the first one was the nes of polygons. Lots of creativity and pushing boundaries on that console. It will always have that compared to the others.

Last edited:
Mmmmm...God of War alone is almost good enough reason, imo. I adore that game.
And the port of God of war 3 is just perfect (wasn't far on PS3).

The PS4 is also the first console that I find satisfying since the 3d area, sure the PSX was no slouch compared to PCs from 1994... But the PS2/3 (and any consoles from their time frame) were just too weak to play PC games at playable framerate/resolution. My feeling was that the PS4 got us good levels of details, great image quality, and acceptable framerate a (the 60fps games look pretty good)... And the PS4 have me the satisfaction of playing games at native 1080p (I later got a pro).

gamer82

ps4 had so many great games ,i never owned the first two as a kid, an vaguely remember the George foreman edition :messenger_fire: it's been so long life sucked back then , still does to this day gaming its a bit of a relief so can't wait to get going with ps5.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Nostalgia says PS1 but if I'm really honest PS4 has more of my favourite games so I voted for that.

Objectively the best library is probably PS2 but I wasn't really gaming much during that period of my life so I can't really vote for it.

The original, the design of it, the games and even the boot up logo and sound. Never cared much for PS2 despite its huge success, enjoyed the OG Xbox, Cube, Dreamcast more and PS3 had only a handful of games i cared for .

PS1 and then PS4 for me

AGRacing

I do love me a phat PS3.

But I don't think anything will equal the shock of booting up Gran Turismo 3 for the first time. Goosebumps.

SEGA_2012

The PS Triple ! Forever in my heart ! Valkyria Chronicles, Yakuza 3,4,5 and Dead Souls, Binary Domain, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom, Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters 13 and many more classics !

466545-800px_chadwardenn_large.jpg

1. PS3
2. PS4
3. PS2
4. PS1

There was such wide swings in the PS3 gen from the low lows to the high highs. It was the most exciting gen to me.

PS4 was just kind of consistently good. Which should not be a negative. But in my heart, I was just more captivated by dat triple! It was an emotional rollercoaster ride with its high highs, and low lows.

Last edited:

odhiex

1. PS4 (big library of games that I love this generation. Surprisingly it surpassed my expectations)

2. PS1, mostly nostalgia as the first playstation, but it had some great and memorable games too.

3. PS3, I love this console. First console that I bought with my own money. Great franchises established.

4. PS2, it is still a great console but I don't have much attachment with its games. Probably because at the same time, I was introduced to the great era of PC gaming in early 2000s.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
PS4, I'm not a slave to nostalgia.
It's not about being a slave to nostalgia - at all. For example, my favorite genre is fighting games and I have more than 50 on PS2 alone. It was a behemoth in every aspect with availability of many genres and games. I love current content as well but many gems are only playable on Ps2. Keep in mind that many franchises people loved never released a New game since that era, such as Parappa.

Last edited:

Arkam

Tough choice to make.

PS4 - Great console at launch, great games all gen. BUT the system software updates and the "checking the hard drive" oh and lets not forget the mid gen PS4 refresh
PS3 - I didnt care for. Actually went Xbox 360 that gen as multi plats were (usually superior)
PS2 - Awesome deal at the time for a console and a DVD player. Also had so many fantastic games.... but holy shit that loading time. I used a GameCube as main console and PS2 by comparison was a snail
PS1 - It was "new" it was "different" it was awesome! Such a wide variety of very experimental games that have since defined genres. Sure loading sucked here too, but it was their first console with an optical disc so I can forgive.

So I would have to safely say the PS1 is my favorite PlayStation so far.

Perrott

PlayStation 4 🐐
  • The best output (in terms of scope and quality) from Sony's first-party studios ever
  • Some of the greatest games from previous generations (like SOTC, RE2 or FF7) got remade using the latest tech
  • Some iconic games from the PS2 and PS3 era available through PlayStation Now
  • The best out of the four DualShock controllers
  • PlayStation VR

BigLee74

PS1, no question. I loved it.

PS2, I reckon I bought 3 games for before I got into PC gaming, so it largely went untouched apart from GTA Vice City.

Switched to xbox after that, so cant comment on 3/4.

Last edited:

RCU005

Definitely PS3 for me. Then PS1 > PS4 > PSP > PSV > PS2

The reason I put PS2 at last, it's because I was a complete Nintendo fanboy then, and I didn't get to play many games on the PS2. However, I did play some truly amazing ones on it, and I recognize it was an amazing console.

For me, though, I loved PS3 the most, and I think it's because I savored the games more. I got more excited about many games and I enjoyed the entire generation.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
PS2 is untouchable, fam. But the PS3 is pretty underrated compared to PS4. Actually, once the PS5 drops, I'll drop the 4. Wouldn't have the feels as I would for the older PS systems

SuperPe

Neo Member
Easy, top dawg/alpha, the King PS2. Playstation's slogan "Live in your world; play in ours" was so damn cool. The PS2 has the greatest game console library of all time. I remember being like 8 or 9 watching my older brother play MGS2, FFX, Kingdom hearts and Silent hill 2 just getting absolutely blown away by the graphics. But yea, second place would be the PSX, that system had a juggernaut of a game library, it spawned game franchises that are still alive and thriving today. Third will be PS3, had decent library gave us Demon and Dark souls, a lot of shooters, just not enough good JRPGs. Lastly PS4, it has a decent game library but nothing really revolution/amazing that I see myself wanting to replay over and over again, the only stand out game on ps4 is bloodborne. But yup thats my ranking

Tschumi

Look for me it has to be PS3. It's got more than enough great games to satisfy me for the duration of my owning it.. it's got the advantages of HDMI and wifi over ps2 in terms of quality of life.. it's real cheap over here these days~ sure, PlayStation store doesn't sell PS3 games anymore apparently, so maybe newcomers won't feel the same about it, but for me this console was just a delightful, friendly, extremely fun offering.

Edit: what I'm not saying here is that it was the best console - PS2 for sure - just that PS3 is my favourite. It had ports of many of the best PS2 games in HD, and great new titles. From mgs4 to diablo 3 to persona 5 and beyond~

Some of its games are still seriously goodlookin', too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom