• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your preferred controller layout?

Preferred layout of your gaming controller ?

• Asymmetric (Xbox style)

Votes: 91 43.1%
  • Symmetric Top Analog (Wii U style)

Votes: 11 5.2%
  • Symmetric Bottom Analog (PlayStation style)

Votes: 79 37.4%
  • Standard D-pad and face buttons (NES style)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Standard D-pad, face buttons, and shoulder buttons (SNES style)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Joystick with a couple of buttons (Atari style)

• Arcade Stick (Arcade stick style)

• French fries topped with grilled onions, melted cheese, and Thousand Island dressing (Animal style)

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • No preference at all / Highly adaptable (Non-binary style)

Votes: 15 7.1%
  • Keyboard and Mouse (Master race style)

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • Other (please specify style)

Votes: 3 1.4%

• Total voters

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
As for newer controllers, the new Xbox pad comes pretty close to perfect for me. I've always preferred the symmetrical layout to the PlayStation one, and the Dualshock 4 just isn't that comfortable (and I say this having played on one for hundreds of hours over the past seven years).

ac47b587-f68f-4286-9c16-fc460ede1044.jpg

The 8bitdo SN30 Pro+ is my current controller of choice for emulators. Works wirelessly on Raspberry Pi, comfortable and has a great D-pad.

img-0138.original.jpg

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Face layout doesn't matter very much, it's easy to switch around, though I do have a preference for more face buttons. But I absolutely hate hinged shoulder buttons. GameCube and PS2 got it right, going back to Dreamcast style is the worst convention in controller design.

fart town usa

Gold Member
In all seriousness. Sony could have stuck with the PS2 dual shock all these years and I'd be 100% fine with it.

For old school gaming I like the Saturn/SNES the best but dual shock is my favorite for modern games. Just super comfy.

I also adore the Wii U gamepad. I think it's one of the most underappreciated controllers in the history of gaming.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Symmetrical sticks, but I could do fine with asymmetrical.

Dualsense is by far my favorite controller ever. Just wish it had back buttons (even as an attachment).

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
That's quite a gif lol

Ps4, Switch Pro and Xbox are all fine. Prefer ps4 atm

If you like DualShock 4 then it'll be an instant adaptation to DualSense. It just feels like a natural upgrade over DS4. Didn't touch a newer xbox controller since 2007 but the 360 controller was workable but hard to master games with as you keep changing grip stances just to reach certain buttons.

Didn't own a Nintendo since probably 1991-1992.

Last edited:

lachesis

I get used to it pretty quickly, so no issues.

The bigger issue is X and O changes on selecting for me... I get used to it pretty quickly on either way, but sometimes I go into this existential crisis of "was it O or X to cancel out before making a big purchase within a game and look for the in-game confirmation.

GametimeUK

Ideally just a modern controller with all required buttons to play modern games like Switch Pro Controller, Xbox or Playstation controller. Don't really care too much, I can use them all. Gun to my head I choose Xbox Elite 2.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I'm able to play with all of them but i'd prefer a symmetrical layout for the analog sticks.

There have been times where i was better with the D-Pad but not anymore.

TLZ

Banned
No preference really. I switch between them no issues.

I would definitely prefer the controllers came off like the joycons though. They'd be much more comfortable than always having to keep my hands in the centre.

MiguelItUp

It really depends on the game for me. I think the Xbox layout is excellent for FPS titles. But for anything TPS I find myself like the PS4/5 layout. I think I find myself using the Xbox controller most. Though I really do like the Switch Pro controller.

KillaJamm

Personally the newest Xbox controller is pretty much perfect. You can really feel they have fine tuned it over the years from the 360 controller to get to where they are with it now, it just feels so good to hold and I find it has a perfect balance for all types of games. The Dualsense is a close second only for the haptics tbh, if Microsoft ever implemented something similar in the future that would be perfection imo.

Topher

Gold Member
Depends on the game.

Keyboard and mouse for first person, point and click, strategy, etc. Elite Series II or DualSense for third person and racing games.

If I could only have one then I'd have keyboard and mouse.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
If you like DualShock 4 then it'll be an instant adaptation to DualSense. It's just feels like a natural upgrade over DS4. Didn't touch a newer xbox controller since 2007 but the 360 controller was workable but hard to master games with as you keep changing grip stances just to reach certain buttons.

Didn't own a Nintendo since probably 1991-1992.

Yeah I think so too. DS4 is the first PS controller I really like. FPS games feel better with the Asymmetrical setup imo.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Asymmetric king. Feels I can run more straight with my thumg.
That said, ds4 and dualsense are amazing and I got really used to ps style too

Pull n Pray

Banned
With the asymmetric style, you have more flexibility with how you place your thumbs on the sticks. On the PlayStation controller, I have to remember to only place the tip of my thumbs on the sticks or risk my thumbs colliding.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Asymmetric or symmetric makes no difference, what matters is how many of the default/most used inputs - the analogue sticks - are in the default thumb resting position.

Xbox - 1
Playstation - 0

Xbox wins there, but they should move the right analogue up to switch places with the face buttons.

The Wii U pro controller was the best controller layout ever released in terms of face buttons. If only it had actual analogue input triggers.

Last edited:
I don't really have a preference, a few moments with the controller in hand is all it takes to get a feel for it. Never understood all the fighting over stick placement myself

For games with a lot of camera movement I actually liked the Wii U controller the most. The symmetrical sticks at the top just feel so natural for exploration.

The only problem is with button heavy games like bayonetta, then you kinda want the xbox style.

I'm used to the Xbox but I actually prefer the WiiU layout and size. The WiiU controller with analog triggers, back buttons/paddles and the rubber coating/textures grips of the Xbox Elite would be my ideal controller.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Asymmetric style is preferred but I can play with almost any controller. The only controllers I ever had an issue with was Gamecube and Wii.

I don't have a preference between xbox and ps controller. I can easily switch between them. If I had to choose Though, I would go with the ps layout as I really like the dualsense.

Last edited:

Artistic

I'm only comparing Xbox vs Playstation, but definitely Xbox. My thumbs tend to hit each other when playing on Dualshocks.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter as I don't think you have an alternative to use preferred layout on other systems. Definitely not worth the hassle as well.

Banned
THIS LAYOUT WAS GENIUS
R.f2e8926523643687a841d0a0f5b6317d

but people really don't like change and so this extremely ergonomic design was cast away by Nintendo to please the casual fucks that hate innovation and that call themselves gamers! PFFFT!
YOU HAVE FORSAKEN THE BEST CONTROLLER LAYOUT EVER! MAY THE GLORIOUS WII U PRO CONTROLLER HAVE MERCY ON YOUR SOULS!

but for real, the right stick on top felt absolutely amazing in Call of Duty. that stick position was perfect for dual stick FPS controls

Top Bottom