• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Top 5 Western Cartoons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belfast

We talk plenty about anime around here, and while I admit I have a general distaste for a lot of American cartoons (usually the Nickelodeon-esque stuff), there's still a few shining examples of what they can be. I'm personally electing not to count stuff like South Park/Simpsons/Family Guy/Futurama, because while I like them a lot, they don't fit into the demographic I'm gunning for in this thread (but feel free to include them if you want to).

In no particular order:

1. Kim Possible: Usually pretty clever/funny, it has some decent continuity to it and a sly self-conciousness. Its one of a few progressive western cartoons that, while maintaining the classic ideas of adventure/comedy, allows its writers a bit more freedom to create dialogue and situations outside the box. In other words, it doesn't cater directly to the braindead. Plus, spy stuff is always neat.

2. MegasXLR: I don't see too many people watching this one on these boards, but its one of the new efforts from Cartoon Network airing on Toonami Saturdays. Taking a hint from the 80s/Japan, its primary centerpiece is a gigantic robot. However, it all but completely eschews any kind of philosophical meanderings and the like in favor of ~22 minutes of giant robots/monsters beating the crap out of eachother. Its pretty high on action and it has a little humor in there, too. If it was anime, I'd probably put it in the same MANIME category as stuff like Scryed which just has a lot of cool fighting in it.

3. Justice League: I don't follow it that closely, but it seems to inherit the old Batman: TAS vibe. In my opinion, its hard to portray superheroes in the right way. You either have good writing/atmosphere or you don't. When you don't you have, well, Superfriends, but when you do, you have Justice League. Like I said, not a HUGE comic fan, but the characters are familiar enough and the plots consistently engaging.

4. Teen Titans: Some people may not agree with me on this, but for all the series seems to have going against it (blatant anime influences and the such), I think it actually has some interesting plots and decent writing and the characters are surprisingly strong for such an inherently goofy series. Its not perfect in every respect, but its definitely watchable.

5. Invader Zim: A couple years old and dead-in-the-water, it no doubt remains one of the best western cartoons in the past few years. It goes above and beyond most other toons and has an extremely sly sense of dark humor about it. Anyone who's seen it should know what I'm talking about.

Some of the guys who worked on Clerks: The Animated Series (none of them from View Askew mind you) do work on Kim Possible. It's quite apperant in the character design and animation style.

Also I saw one episode of Magus XLR and thought it was pretty funny. It's just one huge parody of 80's giant robot anime.

1) Clerks: The Animated Series
2) Aqua Teen Hunger Force
3) Family Guy
4) Futurama
5) Mission Hill

Yes I think Mission Hill is fucking brilliant.

arter_2

in no order

1. family guy
2. invader zim
3. any thing directed or made by chuck jones [thats warner bros. baby]
4. simpsons
5. old ninja turtles
6. futurama [cant believe i forgot u]
7. rockos modern life [best friggan nick toon ever]

I really like that new show on nickleodean donny phanton or what ever i think it pretty good its done by the guy who did Fairly odd parents.

Yossarian

In no particular order:

Batman : the Animated Series
Invader Zim
Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law
Aqua Teen Hunger Force
Animaniacs

Also, Futurama, Simpsons and Family Guy.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Lab, Spongebob Squarepants, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Justice League

Obviously, Ren and Stimpy, Batman: TAS, Clerks, and Animaniacs make the list if we're talking about stuff that isn't necessarily active anymore.

Draff

I'm actually enjoying X-men evolution and Justice League quite a bit... I'm limited to YTV unfortunately.

Triumph

Banned
1. Family Guy
2. SeaLab 2021
3. Ren & Stimpy
4. The Goddamned George Liquor Show(Kricfalusi net-toon)
5. Looney Toons, beotch!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Yossarian said:
Also, Futurama, Simpsons and Family Guy.
I kind of made the assumption that those weren't eligible since they're sort of a weird holy trinity of comedic animation.

Yossarian

MetatronM said:
I kind of made the assumption that those weren't eligible since they're sort of a weird holy trinity of comedic animation.
me too, but then I saw people including them in their lists, and I didn't want to be left out. I gotta be in the "in crowd" on this GAF, you know? I've hung with the losers too long :(

Belfast

I'd say more story and content, as there's not *that much* to elevate cartoons on television above one another in terms of animation, unless you're talking the difference between the recent trend in using Flash versus a more traditional approach.

And yeah, like I said, I personally left out Futurama/Family Guy/Etc. because they're generally for an older demographic (as are most of the Adult Swim offerings, too), and I'm trying to mete out what's best for the more teen-focused demographic.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
1. South Park
2. Ren & Stimpy (prior to the exile of John K.)
3. Powerpuff Girls
4. Clerks: The Animated Series
5. The Critic

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Fairly OddParents: This show is great at taking all those funny little things people do but nobody talks about and then blatantly exaggerating them to very comical levels. I love it.

Other than that, not much. The superhero things are way too much of a departure from their original forms for me to really enjoy, and aside from that I don't really like them anyway (last one I did was Batman Beyond, and I think most of that team was japanese). Older cartoons like Dexters Lab and Powerpuff girls are old and dry now, and newer ones aren't really holding my interest.

-edit-
Meh, since other people are including such shows, I must say Futurama and Sealab 2021 are two of the most hilarious shows I have ever seen, I love them very much. The Brak Show was also good, and it's coming back. I say boo to Family Guy though, the type of humor in it (not the subject matter) is too similar to my own family (meaning sarcastic/critical with a superiority complex) for me to enjoy, plus I hate the art style.

Yossarian

Lensar Aldaine said:
Fairly OddParents: This show is great at taking all those funny little things people do but nobody talks about and then blatantly exaggerating them to very comical levels. I love it.
Thats a good call- I completely forgot about that show. One of my favorite things about the show is the little running gags they have; one example of this is that whenever Timmy gets his wish fulfilled and his parents ask about some aspect of it, he just says something like "Oh, its an internet thing" and they just go "Oooh, the internet..."

Makes me laugh every time.

btrboyev

is there a timeline?

Because it would be

old WB stuff, tom and jerry..etc stuff like that

but in my day

GI-Joe
Transformers Generation 1
Ducktales
Simpsons
Dexter Lab

fbcamp

Banned
Lets see:

The Simpsons
Animaniacs
Pinky and the brain
90's batman cartoon
Duck tales

I can't remember my real favs right now since I just worked out. :p

I remember arguing a long time ago that American animation was better than Japanese animation (though I long since changed my stance).

Belfast

Not really a timeline, but once again, I'm more focused on modern (as in really recent or still-running), teen-demographic stuff - the bread and butter of the western cartoon industry.

Recent stuff...

1) Family Guy
2) Aqua Teen Hunger Force
3) Invader Zim
4) Futurama
5)Sealab 2021

Honorable mention: Spongebob Squarepants

older stuff...

The Simpsons
Beavis & Butt-Head
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Duck Tales
The Critic

explodet

The DC Universe (Batman/Superman/Batman Beyond/Justice League)
The Batman animated series set the standard very high, and its successors kept aiming for that same standard, to the benefit of the quality of each show. I'm not including Teen Titans here simply because I haven't seen the show to judge it.

The Prime Time Sitcoms (Simpsons/King of the Hill/Family Guy/Futurama)
There were a whole rash of animated sitcoms in the 90s - remember "Stressed Eric"? "God, the Devil and Bob"? "The PJs"? Neither do I. While they're long gone, the above four will be remembered, all for different reasons that I won't go into here.

Invader Zim
This was a series made in the wrong place, but at the right time. I heard this show was cancelled because the demographics were too OLD for the Nickelodeon advertisers. Besides, giving Jhonen Vasquez his own kids show? The Nick executives must have been smoking some strong granola that day.

The 80's Revival
He-Man, Transformers, Strawberry Shortcake - I'm surprised they haven't started another G.I. Joe and Thundercats show.

Samurai Jack
The money they save on studio time for the actors goes straight to the storyboard artists!

Odoul

Batman:TAS - The coolest of the modern superhero shows.

Gargoyles - The darkest and coolest thing to ever come out of Disney(next to Roger Rabbit) and I'm surprised noone's mentioned it.

Invader Zim - Demented and funny as fuck. So of course Nick cancels it for more boring cheap crap that hurts to look at.

Animaniacs/Tiny Toons/Pinky and the Brain - Funny, well drawn and animated, and lots of innuendo.

Pirates Of Dark Water - A continuous story in a real adventure series. Reminds me of the new Prince of Persia.

Some honorable mentions:

Mighty Max - Norman was the man.

Eek the Cat! - This was so violent, mean spirited and hilarious.

Courage the Cowardly Dog - FUNNY AS HELL

Johnny Bravo - Only the first and most recent seasons though. Johnny's cold as ice.

They don't make em like they used to.

hobbitx

Mummies Alive - I really love this cartoon, I used to watch this in the morning when I was getting ready for school. Recently it aired for a while on UPN in the morning and now that I was alot older I appreciated this shows goofy action and really interesting storylines. For a kids show, it had alot of depth, this show was one of the only kids shows I've seen where many of the episodes were connected and you could see how certain characters affected the mummies, like Pep and Nefertina's relationship, and Jakal and his brother and nephew. I really hope this show makes it on dvd soon.

Arthur - This is also one of my all time favs, the stories are absolutely hilarious and the moral lessons really blend in with the story and feel so true to life. With other cartoons they just sound like kiddy preaching, this is a great cartoon that has stories that come straight from the heart and stay totally true to the books.(At least the ones that were based on books anyways>) The newer episodes are kinda dull, they changed some of the voices but the show has been getting back to it's old classic roots. I absolutely love the goofy parodies Arthur does.

Garfield and Friends - For a kids show, this cartoon was hilariously witty and about 70% of the jokes were obviously aimed at adults. Despite this, I loved this show as a kid and enjoyed it even more now as an adult, I try to watch this whenever I can, but I miss it alot.

Proud Family - I hear alot of other black people on the net complaining about this show saying it's stereotypical and racist, but I don't see anything like that in this show, all I see is a funny, eccentric, and down to earth black family, alot of the characters kinda remind of some of my own family. I love black cartoons and out of all the ones I've seen, this and C-bear and Jamal (remember that?) are the most hilarious and in touch with black culture I've ever seen.(PJ's didn't do much for me) I especially love this show because alot of the humor is based alot around black culture in LA kinda like C-bear and Jamal was, the stories always crack me up. Watching each characters hilarious behavior is like watching 20 shows in one, except for a few duds like that boring surfer guy, the cast never ceases to have me laughing my head off. Oscar with his whining, cheapness, and paranoia, not to mention all his hilarious super natural encounters like the talking baby. The Gross sisters are hilarious too and one of the main reasons I watch, they pay excellent homage to the old Bebe's kid crew, I'm still waiting for a cameo from those kids. TRUDAAAAY!!!!!

Rocko's Modern Life: This show was the coolest nicktoon I've ever seen except for Sponge Bob, this show had hilarious random comedy and it had the weirdest little background details that were just too damn funny. One of my favs was the ep where I think they went to a beach or something, and there was this guy just standing while crying over a spilled ice cream cone, I love stupid humor. Even though the random goofy stuff rocked, the actual stories were hilarious to watch too, I loved how creepy and weird Heffer's family was, those insane stories the grandpa used to tell were hilarious.

Man I can't wait to watch these cartoons with my kids one day.

Odoul

The Proud Family is cool. I see where it could be called offensive but I'll be damned if I don't laugh my ass off. Best part is the characters, stories and situations are all funny and ORIGINAL.

Warrior

Banned
[1]Transformers (Original)
[2]X-Men
[3]Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Original)
[4]Ren & Stimpy
[5]Duck Tales

Odoul

The way some of the characters talk, the slang, the portrayal of the dad as a moron. I don't personally find it offensive even though there is some entertainment that pisses me off. (I refuse to put money into the pockets of the people responsible for Soul Plane). But I see how some people might not like it. It walks the line of being stereotpical and having a unique style. I like it though.

No particular order:

Eek the Cat: rocks. I can't believe it lasted so many seasons, thanks Sera and Shin for informing me one fateful night in #ga. I also liked the Caveman cartoon that was a part of Eek the Cat, which I cannot recall. When will the hurting stop?

Batman TAS: Wasted so many hours of homework, underage drinking, and phone calls from ex's while watching this series. Nothing could tear me away from it

Powerpuff Girls: Best episode ever was the morning cereal spoof

Beavis & Butthead: sometimes the best parts was the videos, but my god, I bought those 6 DVDs and it's a great cure for what ails you

South Park: self-explanatory

hobbitx

Odoul said:
The way some of the characters talk, the slang, the portrayal of the dad as a moron. I don't personally find it offensive even though there is some entertainment that pisses me off. (I refuse to put money into the pockets of the people responsible for Soul Plane). But I see how some people might not like it. It walks the line of being stereotpical and having a unique style. I like it though.

Cool, I see where you are coming from. I guess when it comes to ethnic shows there's always going to be complaints.

Damn! I totally forgot Mighty Max and Eek the Cat.

Mom starts kissing and hugging Max,

Max: "Mooooom not in front of the undead zombies!" I used to love that cartoon, I was late to school because of it quite often, I remember the Highlander cartoon used to air right after it at the cursed "You'll only see this if you don't have to go to school or are in kindergarten" 8 am time slot. When I finally did get to watch this I found it to be one of the best cartoons I've seen, pretty dark for a kids cartoon. Anybody remember the Highlander cartoon?

SA-X

1) Family Guy
2) South Park
3) The Simpsons (Greatest supporting cast but the main characters in South Park/Family Guy are better)
4) Futurama
5) Ren and Stimpy

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Doug (Nickelodoen one): How can anyone not like this cartoon? It rocked! Disney one blows though

luxsol

As some have already mentioned...

1. Gargoyles: It followed in BatmanTAS's footsteps in doing a dark drama filled cartoon series. The writers really worked to interweave the storyline from the beginning to the very end (never seen the second series Goliath Chronicles, though). Even the most minor characters were fully developed. Nothing is out of place in the series, every character and scene plays a role throughout the entire series. No cartoon has ever come close to being as complex (and non-confusing) as this, not even Japanese cartoons.

2. Exo-Squad: It's the U.S. version of Macross, but without bringing your entire family along to fight a war nor stupid fighting enemies with music. Ugh. It's a war-time cartoon that deals with racism and genocide. Humans create genetically engineered slaves, they revolt and get taken down. Time passes, they revolt again and take over the Earth along with most of the solar system. A lone human fleet is spared and works its way from the outer edge to retake the solar system. They eventually make it to Earth and take it back from a suicidal ruler (who was dying from a degenerative cloning defect). Unlike most Western cartoons main characters from this show can die and stay dead.

3. Superman TAS: I think this show is far superior to the Batman TAS, mainly because it's not a lot of one shot stories. There is a lot of continuity and well developed characters for this show. My favorite episode was when Bruce Wayne went missing and Superman had to take up the Batman persona. Nothing better than watching Bane take on a kryptonian Batman.

4. The immortal Tom and Jerry cartoons (pre-70s).

5. Animaniacs: It's like the early Looney Toon cartoons but with modern references. They spoofed nearly everything and remained funny to the end (in fact, the last season was the funniest). Also spawned the best damn cartoon characters ever: Pinky and the Brain.

Honorable mentions: all the X-Men cartoons (yes, even Evolution), Batman: TAS (the one series that allowed for more serious cartoons to be made), Justice League (great, but still not enough episodes to match the other cartoons I mentioned), and the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (serious action going on in the mini-series that comes close to anime fights).

FoneBone

Pinky and the Brain was great. Animaniacs was good, too, but far more uneven (most of the segments that didn't feature Yakko, Wakko, and Dot or Pinky and the Brain pretty much sucked).

Recent cartoons, or from any time? If any time, I'm going with:

1) Golden-Age (1940's, early 50's) WB (Loony Tunes)
2) Max Fleicher's Superman
3) Golden-Age MGM (Tex Avery and Tom & Jerry)
4) Golden-Age Disney (films and shorts)
3) Felix the Cat (Otto Messmer)

The recent ones that I enjoy are:

1) Ren and Stimpy
2) Mighty Mouse
3) The Oblongs
4) Clone High
5) Invader Zim

Lots of others I love but didn't mention, like Samurai Jack, Batman: TAS, The Brak Show, The Maxx, Sealab 2020, Powerpuff Girls...

I would like to thank this thread for reminding me of Rocko's modern life. Such a brilliant cartoon.

Tbh todays cartoons have gone soft, I think anyones scared of doing anything out there anymore. I dont think we'll ever see something in the vain of Ren and Stimpy or Rocko's Modern Life ever again. Which really does suck

Shinobi

Batman TAS - Simply the best TV show I've ever seen. Have all but two episodes on VHS, and will buy all the boxed DVD sets that are released.

The Flintstones - Timeless comedy. It was a laugh riot to me as an 11 year old when I didn't even get half the jokes, and it's a laugh riot to me now even though I've watched every episode about fifty times. It jumped the shark once the kids came in (Bam Bam in particular), but up until then it's an ingenious show without peer.

TMNT (original, episodes #1-5) - It jumped the shark after the intial run, but watching these episodes on DVD again simply reaffirmed how ahead of it's time and simply bad ass those five episodes were. Just a shame they couldn't have made even 20 or 30 more episodes in that sort of style.

MGM shorts (Droopy/Tom & Jerry/etc) - Arguably the funniest stuff I've ever seen in my life. Just a shame it's barely on up here.

Looney Tunes - Same sort of stuff, though not quite as funny as the MGM stuff.

Honourable mentions

Batman Beyond - I had no expectation that I'd care for this show, since I've never been into alternate future storyline stuff. I ended up liking it a lot. The movie probably makes up a good deal of why I like the show though...it took the entire universe to a completely new level.

Top Cat - I only have two episodes and barely remember the others, but the two that I have leave me in stiches everytime I watch. Never gets old.

Pink Panther/Anteater - A show I haven't watched since I moved from England...sigh. Anteater made this show...those episodes were ridiculously funny.

Peanuts - I love Charlie Brown and the gang, what can I say?

Spider-Man (Fox, Current) - I like both shows a lot...the former had all the villian encounters, and did a pretty good job touching on the major highlight points of his comic life. Hated the way it ended though...waited how long to see the real Mary Jane, then he starts on that journey and we never even seen it's conclusion?!? Fucking Fox.

As for the current show, I'm really impressed with it...the 3D animation style provides the ability to show Spidey's impressive moves and speed in 3D space, really giving depth to his encounters.

Tiny Toons/Animaniacs/Pinky & the Brain - Hilarious stuff...did a great job reinventing the classic characters in Tiny Toons.

Tintin - Absolutely loved this show, which was obviously based on the original comics. Might be the one DVD product that I import in the near future.

andthebeatgoeson

Shinobi said:
Batman TAS - Simply the best TV show I've ever seen. Have all but two episodes on VHS, and will buy all the boxed DVD sets that are released.
That's coming out soon. I think early July. Can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom