• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube is slowing down your PC if you have AdBlock installed by making your CPU sweat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
In the latest wave of anti-ad blocker measures implemented by YouTube, AdBlock users have been reporting widespread performance issues with the extension enabled.

In a thread posted to the YouTube subreddit over the weekend (thanks, 9to5Google) users noted that having AdBlock enabled caused slow load times and increased CPU usage, as one user writes: "This messes up the resources on the computer as a whole. It just kills chrome it seems."

I decided to test this myself, and I noticed that having YouTube open with AdBlock increased my rig's CPU usage by around 17%. While using AdBlock or similar programs is against the website's terms of service, AdBlock is also a massively popular extension. On the Chrome web store it boasts 60 million users.

While you do agree to YouTube's terms of service upon using the site, there's a massive difference between simply blocking AdBlock users and causing increased CPU usage. From what I could see the increase was pretty consistent—so not a dangerous spike—but lower-end laptops mainly used for browsing could start having heat problems. At best it's inconvenient and annoying. It should be noted that this CPU-spiking (if deliberate) isn't something YouTube informs AdBlock users of either.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Yeah youtube was slow as hell for me the last couple of days so I checked online and changed my adblockers and now it works like a charm.
But man that was shitty as fuck, I was wondering if there was a problem with my computer.

tenor.gif

“Youtuuuuuuube!!!!”

Mipcgamer

Yeah youtube was slow as hell for me the last couple of days so I checked online and changed my adblockers and now it works like a charm.
But man that was shitty as fuck, I was wondering if there was a problem with my computer.
What adblockers are you using now that solved the problem?

Anime-Vix

So that's why. It has been terrible for me the past couple of days. It is unusable for me. What a crappy thing to do but im not surprised Google would go so low.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Do some research before posting

Last edited:

fersnake

i had to disable adblock for YT, cuz whenever i switched to fullscreen i got stuck like 2 secs before entering fullscreen or loading the thumbnail when seeking through the video.

i have adblock in general not for yt cuz i have premium so gladly i figured out fast hehe.

Calverz

I use edge and ad blocker. I noticed it the other night. I was so confused to what was going on. I read online you can get rid of adblocker and get a different one. When I went to uninstall ad blocker, it gave me a message begging to not uninstall and if its an issue with youtube, they are working to resolve it. At that point I remembered I had youtube premium. So I reinstalled ad blocker anyway and stopped it working on youtube.

I despise Google. Not just because of the hassle I had with them after my account was hacked and used to purchase a Google Ad campaign, which took six months to completely resolve, but because they are just seem to be so damn greedy with their pricing. They only offer one Premium subscription model of £13.99 per month which they keep pushing on my devices as a way of avoiding ads.

Now, I understand the need for advertising but most YouTube videos that I watch already contain embedded ads so having to sit through constant ads for a few seconds every 5-10 minutes in an annoyance. Naturally, I switched to using ad blockers as a way of getting around this but only for my PC. I was fine with watching a few ads on my Switch OLED, phone or iPad. And while I would be happy to pay 99p or £1.99 per month for an ad-free experience, I personally do not feel that Google's current £13.99 a month service is worth it as it has nothing else of interest to me other than having no ads.

What astounds me is how dumb Google must be to not realise that having different tiers of services, including a basic low-cost one that offers no ads, would surely generate more subscribers than just offering an expensive higher priced one. Until they offer more compelling subscription packages then I will continue to use ad blockers as a way of reducing the number of ads on my PC.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I despise Google. Not just because of the hassle I had with them after my account was hacked and used to purchase a Google Ad campaign, which took six months to completely resolve, but because they are just seem to be so damn greedy with their pricing. They only offer one Premium subscription model of £13.99 per month which they keep pushing on my devices as a way of avoiding ads.

Now, I understand the need for advertising but most YouTube videos that I watch already contain embedded ads so having to sit through constant ads for a few seconds every 5-10 minutes in an annoyance. Naturally, I switched to using ad blockers as a way of getting around this but only for my PC. I was fine with watching a few ads on my Switch OLED, phone or iPad. And while I would be happy to pay 99p or £1.99 per month for an ad-free experience, I personally do not feel that Google's current £13.99 a month service is worth it as it has nothing else of interest to me other than having no ads.

What astounds me is how dumb Google must be to not realise that having different tiers of services, including a basic low-cost one that offers no ads, would surely generate more subscribers than just offering an expensive higher priced one. Until they offer more compelling subscription packages then I will continue to use ad blockers as a way of reducing the number of ads on my PC.
I think you can with a vpn set to a country like turkey for around a $/month

twilo99

I use edge and ad blocker. I noticed it the other night. I was so confused to what was going on. I read online you can get rid of adblocker and get a different one. When I went to uninstall ad blocker, it gave me a message begging to not uninstall and if its an issue with youtube, they are working to resolve it. At that point I remembered I had youtube premium. So I reinstalled ad blocker anyway and stopped it working on youtube.

I use edge and ublock, seems to work alright.. might have to purge the cache every now and then

DaGwaphics

Seems like a ridiculous thing for them to do. Why not just put up a message that says the site can't be viewed with ad block extensions enabled (like many other sites do)?

ReBurn

Gold Member
Seems like a ridiculous thing for them to do. Why not just put up a message that says the site can't be viewed with ad block extensions enabled (like many other sites do)?
That was the first thing they tried and it was pretty much instantly bypassed.

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

Soi just checked youtube loaded in 2 seconds then clicking video was pretty much done matter of milisrconds cpu usage 1.2%
.oh yeah I have i9 12900k

Last edited:

manzo

Brave and Ublock Origin. Work PC running with an i7-12800H with 32 gigs of RAM. CPU usage hovers between 0,7%-1,5% for Youtube. No problems here.

ADS are out of control on the interwebs. Youtube has even more ADS from the channel people themselves. I've yet to see a youtube ad interup a channel ad though. So they must know when they do them.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Still massive slowdowns for me with that config. Videos will stop buffering etc.
If you haven't, close and reopen your browser, mine was still slow when there was just ublock, I closed it and reopenned it and miracle everything was just as before.

Last edited:

Calverz

I use edge and ublock, seems to work alright.. might have to purge the cache every now and then
Ublock. That’s the one I read was quite good. Il keep Adblock for now as has been good historically and don’t need it for YouTube.

IAmRei

Few days ago, i got slowed and i thought it was my photoshop (which is very bad in cache) to blame. And then i read some forum, that yt slowing down in purpose. But at that time it is not slowing again.

I think cleaning windows %temp% cache and playing youtube again after restart browser that who do the work.

anyway, I'm using edge and adblock.
i havent try it on brave browser btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom