• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us PC Port finally fixed? New patch fixes VRAM, RAM and CPU usage.

squarealex

Here u got it tested on few older/lowrange/midrange gpu's and here https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-1080.c2839 comparision of gtx 1080 vs those cards, as u can see gtx 1080 is 16% stronger from 3050 8gigs so that would be best comparision of how game looks/runs, but even old and weak gtx 1060 can run it okish provided u reduce settings accordingly- game doesnt look terrible on it either.

Jesus Christ, that's ugly af...

Honestly...for a first port from Naughty Dog, if they managed to fix this mess in only 2 months, kudos to them. Most Digital Foundry videos made it seem like this would be a much bigger nightmare to sort out. Many games don't even get patched up nicely (the fact i just wrote this shows how little hope i have for PC ports right now, lmao)

This is how the game should have been when launched
If a few more weeks already fixed the most glaring issues, I wonder who in his right mind does not postpone it for that time? It sold okay I guess, but launching with bad press can never be the optimum and must hurt them far longer than fixing it now salvages it.
Most games are anyway delayed, the dev money is already spent, and a few weeks of testing shouldn't cost more than the gamer outcry inflicts damage? Why force yourself into an uphill battle?

The video below shows how they have cut down the shader compilation time from 32 minutes to 23.
zl1Sr0Y.gif

StereoVsn

This is just another illustration that you should add 3-6 months at minimum to most PC games at release. Sometimes a year even. Hell, if the game isn't fixed at least it will be cheaper.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: RNG
Cool. I'll buy it on a sale way in the futurue. They may have had a chance buy from me before Tears of the Kingdom came out, but seeing as they didn't really care, I didn't either. I'll pick it up on a Halloween or Christmas Sale.

Last edited:

Denton

Always ran fine for me, but it is nice to see lower end PCs can have great time too now.

Shader compilation is still too long, eventhough 18 minutes compared to 29 is a sizeable improvement.

The Last of Us Part 1 is now better optimised for PC than it was at launch but it is still far from ideal when it requires the player to have to wait 15-20 minutes (in my case on an i5-13600KF system) for the shaders to compile after every graphics driver update or game patch. At launch, I was having to wait 30-35 minutes for this process to complete and I am not joking when I say that well over half my playtime according to Steam was waiting for the shaders to finish compiling.

That is really not acceptable for any 2023 PC release.

In comparison, Dead Island 2, launched with fewer issues and almost no stuttering, yet had a 20-30 second initial shader compilation followed by a 5-10 second check on each subsequent load. The game looks visually on a par, if not better than The Last of Us Part 1 in my opinon, except for the reflections. That game also uses Unreal Engine 4 and DX12 which is usually a recipe for disaster on PC of late. The fact is that the developers of The Last of Us Part 1 clearly did not do enough to optimise a made-for-PS5 engine for the PC and that is why the game had and still has so many issues, not to mention ridiculously high system requirements just to run with the same visual fidelity as the PS5.

Last edited:

Nfactor_AF

Neo Member
Imagine not having a RTX 4090 in 2023 to play games at their best. :messenger_beaming:
:messenger_sunglasses:

j/k I'm glad the game is getting fixed for everyone on PC, The Last of Us really is best on PC

Nfactor_AF

Neo Member
I just played with the new patch for a few hours this morning on my 4090, runs great (replaying the Pittsburgh area now) less loading stutters between cut-scenes to gameplay.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Played it on PS5 at 4K30 and it was probably my top gaming experience last year. Masterful remake. Not a single glitch or performance issue

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
If it's fixed that's good but I already have bought the game twice. I'll wait for a heavy discount before buying it.

ClosBSAS

its a very very very overrated game. honestly, finished it on patch 0 with crashes and all....dont see the big deal about it. just like most of sonys games and RDR2, overrated. 2 seems to be a much better game.

Bojji

its a very very very overrated game. honestly, finished it on patch 0 with crashes and all....dont see the big deal about it. just like most of sonys games and RDR2, overrated. 2 seems to be a much better game.

This game was mind-blowing in 2013. In 2023 bo doubt it's worse than the sequel (in gameplay mechanics at least).

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
No downgrades. They have added a couple of settings like Texture Streaming rate, visual effects and character density settings to 'downgrade' the pop-in distance, number of characters on screen and other visual effects, but I have them all set to max on my 3080 11700k system so it's only for lower end hardware.

At launch, even at High Settings I wasnt able to do much with the game, but now i can push all settings to ultra and have a smooth 4k dlss quality 60 fps experience.

Wait, you are telling me it was a bad launch and nothing to do with hardware.....the devs got this working as intended..?

M1987

Bought this today as it seems to have been fixed,but in the first 20 minutes I'm getting stuttering(mostly when I turn) and frame drops below 60fps using FSR 2

6800XT
16gb ram

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Bought this today as it seems to have been fixed,but in the first 20 minutes I'm getting stuttering(mostly when I turn) and frame drops below 60fps using FSR 2

6800XT
16gb ram
Do you have the latest AMD drivers?

the turning issue was resolved in patch 3.

I will run some tests in the first area but id ignore that run through the town tbh. The main game has no other scenarios like that and it wont hit your CPU nearly as hard. Try turning down the character ambience setting to low to see if that helps for that scene but just move on and see if the second level has the same stuttering issue when turning the camera. (skip the first Boston QZ run too. It is also really hard on the CPU since it has quite a few NPCs that you will never see in the game again.

Stooky

The Last of Us Part 1 is now better optimised for PC than it was at launch but it is still far from ideal when it requires the player to have to wait 15-20 minutes (in my case on an i5-13600KF system) for the shaders to compile after every graphics driver update or game patch. At launch, I was having to wait 30-35 minutes for this process to complete and I am not joking when I say that well over half my playtime according to Steam was waiting for the shaders to finish compiling.

That is really not acceptable for any 2023 PC release.

In comparison, Dead Island 2, launched with fewer issues and almost no stuttering, yet had a 20-30 second initial shader compilation followed by a 5-10 second check on each subsequent load. The game looks visually on a par, if not better than The Last of Us Part 1 in my opinon, except for the reflections. That game also uses Unreal Engine 4 and DX12 which is usually a recipe for disaster on PC of late. The fact is that the developers of The Last of Us Part 1 clearly did not do enough to optimise a made-for-PS5 engine for the PC and that is why the game had and still has so many issues, not to mention ridiculously high system requirements just to run with the same visual fidelity as the PS5.
This is why ppl buy consoles. Blame PC hardware manufacturers for not having a standard.

Last edited:

M1987

I will run some tests in the first area but id ignore that run through the town tbh. The main game has no other scenarios like that and it wont hit your CPU nearly as hard. Try turning down the character ambience setting to low to see if that helps for that scene but just move on and see if the second level has the same stuttering issue when turning the camera. (skip the first Boston QZ run too. It is also really hard on the CPU since it has quite a few NPCs that you will never see in the game again.
Yeah I'm on the latest drivers,and the stuttering and frame drops are happening in the first area.I'm back playing now so I'll see if it gets any better once I leave the town

M1987

Seems to be running a lot smoother since meeting Marlene

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Seems to be running a lot smoother since meeting Marlene
Weird. You are having issues i had on launch day. Everything up to marlene was a mess. I run the Boston qz test on every patch drop and it was a stutter fest until patch 4. Patch 5 is a locked 60 fps. With no 1% drops i.e stutters.

I wonder if it’s related to shader compilation. Maybe it was still compiling them?

lmimmfn

It's PC gaming, makes no sense that PC gamers would buy a game day 1 origionally available on PS3 or in the first few months of release on PC.

This will be good in 6 months and cheap.

I have this on PS3, PS4, saw the TV show, plenty of time before I'll get it for PC.

Last edited:

M1987

Weird. You are having issues i had on launch day. Everything up to marlene was a mess. I run the Boston qz test on every patch drop and it was a stutter fest until patch 4. Patch 5 is a locked 60 fps. With no 1% drops i.e stutters.

I wonder if it’s related to shader compilation. Maybe it was still compiling them?
I waited until both main story and left behind had finished before starting the game.I'm still getting frame drops, sometimes into the high 40s for some reason,but the stuttering seems to have gone

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
1.1 patch out today. From what I read, it might be the biggest performance improvement patch yet. The others mostly addressed major bug or texture problems.

A patch for The Last of Us Part I is now live. This update primarily focuses on performance improvements, Steam Deck performance, various crashes, and more.

Alongside this patch, The Last of Us Part I is now Steam Deck Verified. You will find the latest patch notes for Steam Deck below.

Downloading this patch will trigger a full shader rebuild.

• Optimizations to improve global CPU and GPU performance throughout the game
  • Overall improvements to texture and environment loading
  • Improved shader compilations times
  • Fixed a crash that could occur after changing custom controller settings
  • Fixed a crash that could occur in Photo Mode when saving images in 4K
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when playing on Ultra graphics preset with DLSS enabled
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when using a mouse with a high DPI
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when entering Options > Graphics
  • Fixed multiple crashes affecting players with Intel GPUs
  • Fixed an issue where players could lose the ability to aim or shoot immediately after exiting menus
  • Fixed an issue where the Flashlight tutorial would not leave the screen if ignored
  • Fixed an issue where exiting Photo Mode could cause the player to throw an equipped item
  • Fixed issues where players could see outside the game world in some locations
  • Addressed issues where screen tearing could still occur with V-Sync enabled
  • Fixed an audio issue that could occur when using a USB audio device alongside Spatial Audio Plug-Ins
  • Added support for players using third-party audio drivers
  • Fixed an issue where changing graphics presets (Options > Graphics > Graphics Presets) in-game would not save
  • Fixed an issue where the Speedrun timer could roll back after a crash or when quitting to desktop
  • Fixed an issue where scrollable menu descriptions could not be navigated with a mouse scroll wheel
  • Updated the QTE button UI to correctly display when using Xbox controllers
  • Corrected several in-game, menu, and text-to-speech translation errors
  • GPU Performance HUD more accurately displays usage when launched, CPU Performance HUD now more accurate
  • Corrected an issue where the Aiming Mirror settings did not affect motion sensor aiming
  • Fixed an issue where settings would not Reset to Defaults if players had any of the menu drop downs still open
  • Fixed an issue so that scrolling in Photo Mode does not affect the in-game camera
  • Fixed an issue where the game could reset a user’s Monitor setting when launching the game
  • Fixed an issue where the shader loading could be shown as complete before it actually was
  • Fixed an issue with Corsair and Logitech device LEDs turning off on start-up
  • Display settings are now saved per device and not shared through cloud saves
  • [The Suburbs] Fixed a crash that could occur in the sniper fight
  • [The Suburbs] Fixed an issue where Sam would appear wet during a cinematic in a dry area
  • Added a new Very Low graphics preset (Options > Graphics > Graphics Presets)
  • Added a new AI Quality setting in the graphics menu (Options > Graphics)
  • Added a new Dynamic Lights Quality setting in the graphics menu (Options > Graphics)
AMD

• Fixed an issue where the game could crash while shaders were building on AMD hardware
  • Fixed an issue where FPS could be impacted while enabling the GPU Usage monitor (Options > HUD > GPU Usage)
Epic Games Store

• Fixed a crash that could occur when quitting to the main menu
  • Fixed an issue where vibrations did not work for some players
Steam

• Fixed a crash affecting players missing a Steam user folder
Steam Deck

• Overall improvements to performance while playing on Steam Deck
  • Addressed a memory leak issue that could cause crashes
  • Fixed an issue where certain button prompts would be misaligned
  • Fixed an issue where changing (Options > Graphics > Graphics Preset) could trigger an intense lighting effect
  • Fixed an issue where in-game HUD did not match Steam Deck Performance Overlay FPS value
  • Fixed a crash that could occur during loading screens
  • Effects Density now defaults to Very Low instead of Low
  • [Lakeside Resort] Fixed a crash that could occur at the start of a cutscene
  • [Pittsburgh] Fixed a crash that could occur at certain checkpoints
  • [The Outskirts] Fixed an issue where locked FPS could make it difficult to move pushable objects
We at Naughty Dog and our partners at Iron Galaxy are closely watching player reports to support future improvements and patches. We are actively optimizing, working on game stability, and implementing additional fixes which will all be included in regularly released future updates.

For other issues we are currently tracking or investigating, please refer to our Known Issues. And be sure to read our The Last of Us Part I PC FAQs for some common questions and solutions. If you encounter any problems, please contact support to help us gather more data and insights.

Huge CPU improvements and seemingly GPU too.

Top Bottom