• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube is unwatchable (if you're not on PC)

Senua

Historically I've watched youtube on my PC with adblocker and was happy as Larry. But I've found in my older, more rotund age I like to relax in the hay and watch stuff now before bed on my console box.. but OH MY FUCK the adverts are ridiculous. Constant and unskippable 20 second adverts, usually 2 in a row even in videos only a couple of minutes long. So many videos I start and barely a minute in I'm treated with another 1-2 punch of 20 second adverts of some black chick dancing around with a can of pepsi or some other retarded chode my brain rejects.

Now I'm new to the youtube app life but I can only assume this gonad kicking experience is to force you into buying premium to get a decent viewing experience. If it was a couple of squid I could probably see the appeal and even Baa along like the rest of the turds....

But £13? a fucking month?

That's Sony tier level of taking the piss.

So my question is, when did youtube get this unwatchable?

Sybrix

I know what you mean, i watch YouTube 99% of the time on my PC with adblocker.

On the rare occasion i watch on my phone or on my TV, i'm always shocked by how many ad's are all over these videos.

How the ad's are run is very American.

In the UK we have ad's before a show, 15 mins into a show and at the end of the show, thats it.

You watch American TV and they have Ad's at so many random points within a show it's horrible to watch.

Last edited:

Ironbunny

The premium lite is 6.99 $. Its not advertised anywhere. You just need to go to the right web site to activate it. Well it is atleast in some Europe countries. Dunno if it is in USA.

sono

Gold Member
You are correct, it is a mess.

I watch it on PC and PS4

(PS4 I am ready with the controller cross buton for the skip option to press in 1nanoSec of the skip option appearing)

Senua

You're SOL on console though. :(
Sad Dexters Laboratory GIF

Senua

I have premium and I consider it my most valuable subscription, based on how much time I put into it, worth it for listening in screen off mode alone.
I find basic functions a piss take. Adverts I completely understand and many years ago when they first started popping up I really didn't mind them, but they are obscene now, with most of them not even being skippable. They are truly taking the piss. Like dominos pizza (UK) levels of taking the piss

Bartski

Gold Member
I find basic functions a piss take. Adverts I completely understand and many years ago when they first started popping up I really didn't mind them, but they are obscene now, with most of them not even being skippable. They are truly taking the piss. Like dominos pizza (UK) levels of taking the piss
I agree. I use another non-premium account at work and its absurd

Susurrus

I got the annual premium plan. It saves a bit of money. I'm pretty sure I got it for $120 and figured $10/month was fine especially since it includes Youtube Music, but now it's showing $140, did the price of premium go up maybe?

nkarafo

Don't use your console or smart TV for Youtube. Don't use any official method or app.

If you want to relax on your bed and watch Youtube on the TV, the best way is PC + Kodi + Youtube addon. You get the same couch/bed experience without the ads. Sometimes it stops working because of the odd Youtube change but the devs are quick to fix it. I have been using it for 4-5 years at least.

Last edited:

Senua

Don't use your console or smart TV for Youtube. Don't use any official method or app.

If you want to relax on your bed and watch Youtube on the TV, the best way is PC + Kodi + Youtube addon. You get the same couch/bed experience without the ads. Sometimes it stops working because of the odd Youtube change but the devs are quick to fix it. I have been using it for 4-5 years at least.
Thanks!

I just pay for Premium. I relax and use youtube app on my tv lol no pc or adblock needed.
No thanks. The price is fucking extortionate

Last edited:

Sushi_Combo

I have premium and I consider it my most valuable subscription, based on how much time I put into it, worth it for listening in screen off mode alone.
Same, as a service that I use every day the premium sub is worth it. In addition to including YT music which has gotten much better over the years.

SLoco

Neo Member
I had same problem ,chasing turkish netflix codes,polish amazon ,cheap gamepass cause its not avaliable in my country, and ofc youtube "WE GOT MORE ADS THEN TV NOW"codes.
I legit cut youtube by 95 percent watch time and legit went cycling,doing sport ,reading book or whatever i did before technology consumed me.

Last edited:

mopspear

I just pay the ransom money... It's not so much that I hate commercials, but pretty much any modern commercial offends my sensibilities in some way and then during political season you start getting ads for politicians. I don't have cable and I don't pay for other services and I watch a ton of YouTube so its fine with me. Man I hate Google though and giving them money.

YCoCg

Revanced for Android phones/tablets, SmartTube for Smart TV devices/Fire Sticks.

How do I use this? Just download and it runs automatically?
Download the APKs and run them (you'll have to allow unsigned apps in your phones settings but this one is pretty much trusted all out), after installing that's it, you'll get another YouTube icon and that's what you'll use.

Tams

I use Vivaldi which has an adblocker on all platforms that it's on. I haven't seen a YouTube and in years.

mcjmetroid

Brave on PC
Revanced on Phone.

Fuck every other method. One of the many reasons I never got into Streaming boxes or any of that shite. You just can't beat a PC hooked to your TV, everytime.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Brave is good on iOS for stopping the annoying stuff, but it's started doing this thing where the first skip you do will start the video again. I wonder if that was an annoyance added on purpose. But Brave allows screen off listening, so it will remain my go to. Haven't used the iOS app in a long time.

Do PiHoles work well for youtube ads?

LordCBH

I like to use the Picture in Picture thing on iOS and then swipe the video to minimize it. I was listening to a video at work the other day, and then YouTube tried to play a 40 minute scam ad for “MAKE LOADS OF MONEY WORKING AT HOME!”

I’m REALLY sick of YouTube allowing multi-minute ads in the service. Its fucking stupid.

LostDonkey

Couldn't agree more. I report every ad as inappropriate when I'm watching on my TV because it is inappropriate that they're interrupting my watching of a video with bullshit I'm not interested in.

The ads are so far alien of what my actual interest are it's comical.

Apparently there is a way of blocking certain ports on certain devices like TVs and such that will block the app from playing ads but I've not really looked into it further.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Shit on tik tok all you want. But it’s a much better experience for pretty much anything nowadays. I get all my sports highlights from there instead of watching 5 min of adds.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Lol. Ditch netflix and go premium. Cut cable 10+ years ago. Only watch YT.
More then worth's it's money PS5 app.

BlackTron

I have PC connected to my TV for such kind of reasons (and gaming), but in real life application, I ended up just never using Youtube on TV unless it's to show a friend one specific video and I'll just deal with the ads because it's more convenient than switching. It's just too easy to use the Switch or Xbox that's already there without changing both the TV, AV receiver, grab the keyboard, grab the mouse....fuck it. Less hassle to deal with the ads.

But consequently I just don't bother with Youtube alone on my TV. And the way I use it on PC is at my desk for "research" like hands on hardware reviews and such, not entertainment. With all the ads they kinda played themselves and influenced how I use the service.

HoodWinked

the way you have to install revanced really gatekeeps alot of people from using it which in turn keeps the usage low thus becomes less likely to be patched.

Last edited:
Top Bottom