• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Origin (PC/Steam) |OT|

really kinda wish yunica didn't play just like Adol. Give her a slower axe or something.

Considering Oath and Origin weren't exactly released back to back (even here, there was a month or two gap) I'm sure you would think differently if you weren't playing the two so soon after the other.

Considering Oath and Origin weren't exactly released back to back (even here, there was a month or two gap) I'm sure you would think differently if you weren't playing the two so soon after the other.

yeah maybe, playing a bit more and got whirlwind so she is a bit different. I just love her oven mitts though <3

Mistake

Hey guys, I started playing this recently so I'm not too far yet with Hugo. But one problem I'm having is performing actions while going SE or SW on the keyboard. While moving SW I can only shoot, and SE doesn't let me do anything, so I had to use the mouse controls a couple times to get past a few rooms. Will this get in the way of future boss fights? So far I think the game is alright, but judging by the reactions here I'll like the next playthrough better.

Hey guys, I started playing this recently so I'm not too far yet with Hugo. But one problem I'm having is performing actions while going SE or SW on the keyboard. While moving SW I can only shoot, and SE doesn't let me do anything, so I had to use the mouse controls a couple times to get past a few rooms. Will this get in the way of future boss fights? So far I think the game is alright, but judging by the reactions here I'll like the next playthrough better.

If controller isn't an option, try moving your controls a bit further apart so they're not in the same key zone.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

What StarCreator said might help, it sounds like your keyboard may be interfering with your gaming.

Mistake

If controller isn't an option, try moving your controls a bit further apart so they're not in the same key zone.
I found a usb keyboard laying around the house which solved the problem. Thanks for the advice though. I just thought it was strange because I could do everything fine when going NE and NW. Anyway, I'll write something up whenever I finish this game.

Edit: Or....maybe not. I really need a better computer. I have so much lag at the first major boss fight that it's unbearable. Ah well

I'm playing through this as my first Ys game and it's pretty sweet. I'm up to Jenocres as Yunica (on hard) right now.

The bosses are definitely awesome and the highlight of the game. But I don't think I like fighting regular enemies very much. They feel like damage sponges until you get the strength upgrade for that area, and even then I usually just run past them. On a related note I don't really like the way levels work out in this game; I think it's annoying to have to think about whether you're under- or over-leveled and I don't like how "go get more levels to beat this boss" seems to be such a viable strategy sometimes.

But even if that sounded negative, I do think this is a pretty sweet game so far. I love it when you have multiple playable characters with their own differences, so I'm excited to try out Hugo after I beat the game with Yunica.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hugo definitely plays completely differently.

I'd have probably enjoyed using him a lot more if aiming and movement were controlled separately though. But clearly the game wasn't designed around that, so that would just make it really easy (because using him at all already makes it easier).

Third character is the best though, but you might find him a bit similar to Yunica, if only because he's a close range fighter, to an even greater extent than she is.

And I still don't understand why Falcom requested his unlock requirement be changed to beating the game once, because the character doesn't even appear in Yunica's story IIRC.

Levyne

Banned
I played Hugo first and it bored me so much I didn't play Yunica and third until many months later. Still a little too much xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx but better.

Go_Ly_Dow

Completed it with Yunica. Loved it.

started it with Hugo, but don't think I can be bothered to go through the same stuff again. Is it really that different playing through a different perspective?

Any key plot points?

Also how about the 3rd character?

Thanks.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hugo's plot is pretty different from Yunica's (and better, IMO), and of course the gameplay is very different, as are some of the bosses. The locations are the same, but since they have different abilities some of the puzzles will need to be solved differently.

Hugo's plot also ties in a lot with the third character as you would expect, whereas Yunica's didn't feature him at all.

And the third character's story is the "real" canon one. If there's one you should experience, it's that one. He's also the most fun to play as, again IMO.

Deques

Started playing Ys Origin for the first time ever.
Did I do it right? I chose Nightmare mode...

The boss fights are hellish difficult. I managed to defeat Velagunder after many tries and also probably overleveled myself.

Now everything after this boss fight is difficult >.< Am I supposed to grind a few levels before I continue to the next floor?

And what does Increase stationary heal rate really do? It seems it doesn't do anything to me

The upgrade you bought makes you heal faster if you stand still on one of the exterior walkways (although you don't have to have that upgrade to heal on those).

I don't know about Nightmare mode, but you almost never need to grind in Hard mode, at least. If you kill every enemy in your way on your first trip through every room, you should be at a good level for each boss unless Nightmare mode is different.

Arthea

you chose Nightmare playing for the first time?
Colour me impressed.
I'm not sure it's a good idea though, hope it works for you.
Even on normal it is not a walk in a park.
Increase stationary heal rate should heal more from a save point?

Deques

you chose Nightmare playing for the first time?
Colour me impressed.
I'm not sure it's a good idea though, hope it works for you.
Even on normal it is not a walk in a park.
Increase stationary heal rate should heal more from a save point?

I like challenges, that's why I chose Nightmare mode
Each time I go to a save point I get full health. So whats the point with the increased stationary heal? I thought if I stand still I would get healed over time, but nothing happens

I'm on my first playthrough as Yunica (Normal mode), I thought the game was pretty easy compared to Oath so far. The caterpillar boss is the first death (and second) so far, I can't handle all the bomb spam without my HP dropping fast.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm on my first playthrough as Yunica (Normal mode), I thought the game was pretty easy compared to Oath so far. The caterpillar boss is the first death (and second) so far, I can't handle all the bomb spam without my HP dropping fast.

Are you hitting the bombs and knocking them off the edge?

I like challenges, that's why I chose Nightmare mode
Each time I go to a save point I get full health. So whats the point with the increased stationary heal? I thought if I stand still I would get healed over time, but nothing happens

A month late, but in case anyone else is confused about this you do heal while stationary if you have a certain item or are on the outside of the tower.

Are you hitting the bombs and knocking them off the edge?

A month late, but in case anyone else is confused about this you do heal while stationary if you have a certain item or are on the outside of the tower.

I use the whirlwind skill to knock how many I can.

How is the DEF lowering move done exactly? The game says "when you complete stop" attack to do the move. I've done it a few times out weird luck.

If you're walking in a direction, to do the move, you have to completely let go of the directional keys, wait a moment (a little less than a second), then press the attack button. If you're standing still, you can tap a direction, let go, wait, then attack. It's an annoying move to pull off, but it's really useful, so it's worth your while to figure out how to use it.

Eh, I wonder why is is so hard to pull it out with a controller. With mouse is super easy, just double click left mouse button and press attack while running.

I've had this in my Steam Library ever since it went for 75% off months ago, but I refused to touch it until I got around to getting a controller for the PC. I finally got my hands on one, and I've spent the past two nights playing this. Bosses are so fun to fight! I've been enjoying dodging the danmaku-ish attacks they're using. Last one I fought was the one in the sandy area. Your special attacks having a wide variety of properties helps, too.

Dunkelgrau

Played the demo of Ys Origin on Steam today. I am a bit disappointed.

- It is very annoying that the enemies are always respawning.
- From what I saw this game plays like a Shoot 'Em Up - but with some terrible platforming: From this kind of isometric perspective it is not easy to jump. And I had some issues to hit enemies, too.
- Don’t know if there a proper RPG-Elements in this game later.

I think this game has potential, but for now I am out.

Had this game for what feels like forever, and only just got around to playing it (thanks Steam Backlog Blitz & Steam Roulette)!

Played about an hour or so, and wasn't sure what to expect as I went in with zero hype or interest. I was one of those grab games because they're cheap during Steam Sales people. However, I've enjoyed the hour I've played so far. The combat style has grabbed my interested, as have the little timed power ups and abilities.

It's a quirky game, but I'm enjoying it.

I think I'm about halfway through Yunica's story now, and I've enjoyed every moment of it. Even the part where I was dying for 1 hour and 34 minutes to the Shittypede Boss was worth it, if only for the joy when I defeated him!

There's just so many little bits to this game I'm finding refreshing, and all of them are what I'd personally consider 'classic/old school' mechanics - the boss fights are all unique and different, even though they all follow the old school way of having patterns and phases of attacks.
It allows you time to study and get to understand the enemy. None of this tank and spank business, which seems to have been the growing trend over the current/last generation.

The soundtrack is killer too. I don't really feel like I need to expand on that, other than it's just a great straight up gothic rock OST that flirts with themes from Final Fantasy.

I guess overall I'm just happy there's a game that keeps things fun and allows the overall design to be fairly simplistic. It allows the game to be challenging in that while it should be simple, it's frantic and has some really tough boss fights.

Durante

Awww:

Code:
SECTION HEADER #3
   .data name
     10C virtual size
    3000 virtual address (00403000 to 0040310B)
     200 size of raw data
     800 file pointer to raw data (00000800 to 000009FF)
       0 file pointer to relocation table
       0 file pointer to line numbers
       0 number of relocations
       0 number of line numbers
C0000040 flags
         Initialized Data
         Read Write

RAW DATA #3
  00403000: 59 73 20 4F 72 69 67 69 6E 20 43 6F 6E 66 69 67  [B]Ys Origin Config[/B]
  00403010: 20 2D 20 53 74 65 61 6D 20 2D 20 43 6F 6D 70 69  [B] - Steam - Compi[/B]
  00403020: 6C 65 64 20 6F 6E 20 4A 75 6C 20 32 34 20 32 30 [B] led on Jul 24 20[/B]
  00403030: 31 33 20 61 74 20 32 30 3A 35 38 3A 34 34 20 62  [B]13 at 20:58:44 b[/B]
  00403040: 79 20 53 61 72 61 20 4C 65 65 6E 00 00 00 00 00  [B]y Sara Leen[/B].....
  00403050: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ................
  00403060: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ................
  00403070: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ................
  00403080: 49 20 6C 6F 76 65 20 74 68 65 73 65 20 67 61 6D  [B]I love these gam[/B]
  00403090: 65 73 2E 20 59 6F 75 20 73 68 6F 75 6C 64 20 74 [B] es. You should t[/B]
  004030A0: 6F 6F 2E 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  [B]oo[/B]..............
  004030B0: 30 20 40 00 24 20 40 00 44 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  0 @.$ @.D.......
  004030C0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ................
  004030D0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ................
  004030E0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ................
  004030F0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ................
  00403100: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00              ............

Durante

What were you looking around for that you found that?
I was trying to figure out how the config program queries the available resolutions. I still don't know, but at least now I have a warm fuzzy feeling.

(I would have expected it to import Direct3DCreate9 from d3d9.dll like the config.exe for Oath does for Direct3DCreate8 in d3d8.dll)

I was trying to figure out how the config program queries the available resolutions. I still don't know, but at least now I have a warm fuzzy feeling.

(I would have expected it to import Direct3DCreate9 from d3d9.dll like the config.exe for Oath does for Direct3DCreate8 in d3d8.dll)

Is there an issue with it?

This is something you could probably PM Sara about.

cj_iwakura

Game is wonderful so far. Also, I love the MC.

huJdjBL.jpg

Damn.

kiriin

^ Origins does a good job with the multiple leads, Yunica has always been my favorite mc in the entire series though.

Oh, the game currently 50% off on Steam.

cj_iwakura

Could use a nudge on 12F...

I think the harmonica problem has to do with the icons on 11F, but heck if I know how to use them... Not supposed to run through that tunnel unaided, am I?

cj_iwakura

2SVsSku.jpg

Girl is a beast. Killed the fire boss with 2 HP, just decimating fools.

I picture those other slackers catching up and she's roasting marshmallows on top of its corpse like 'Hi!".

cj_iwakura

That final boss... yeeeeeeesh.

Still, I love how the game actually acknowledges how everyone who underestimates Yunica winds up dead.

Top Bottom