• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Launch trailer, JP boxart, March 3, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxinas

Breath if the wild... leaking...

We really are at that stage.. someone hold me ;_;

Wonder if anyone has a review copy already, it's still about a month away, but considering its an open world game, reviewers are going to need as much time as possible.

Wonder if anyone has a review copy already, it's still about a month away, but considering its an open world game, reviewers are going to need as much time as possible.

They only need 15min/s

Anyways, Nintendos pretty good at sending review copies early right? I think they'll give them a couple weeks to play the game fully

Noitshado

You can defeat him. I recall Aonuma saying that you can beat the game in 15 minutes but I don't remember the exact video.
Maybe not "kill" him but definitely beat him enough to beat the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n7vqDy6mqE

Aonuma mentions it in this interview. He states you can get to the final boss from the get go, but you will likely die. He didn't state it was impossible though so maybe it is achievable. I highly doubt you can beat it from the get go without some play time to get a better handle of the game. Probably requires some minimum prerequisites that a nooby wouldn't know.

Congrats!
Woo!

Same here. I have the Wind Waker Nendoroid and the Link Between Worlds figma as well, so BotW Link will find himself in good company when he arrives :D
Once I have money again I'm gonna get Wind Waker Link and Zelda, plus the other one they did (Majora's Mask?). Deadpool is my first Nendo but BotW Link is gonna be my first Nintendo Nendo and I am super excited to get him and display him on his horse rearing up under my TV.

Well technically it is about $50, but that amiami discount always helps.

That's true, I didn't take into account that price was discounted. But even then, I was expecting it to be much more expensive since it seems normal Nendoroids run around $40 alone and BotW Link comes with a horse! $40 feels like a total steal for sure.

Cerium

Aonuma mentions it in this interview. He states you can get to the final boss from the get go, but you will likely die. He didn't state it was impossible though so maybe it is achievable. I highly doubt you can beat it from the get go without some play time to get a better handle of the game. Probably requires some minimum prerequisites that a nooby wouldn't know.

I mean your weapons are bound to break before you can actually do any meaningful damage.

ASIS

He never said that.
I'm 99% positive he said that! Maybe I'm dreaming or something

I'll do a video search when I'm free but I'm sure I heard him say that someplace.

Thank you, yes that was the video I was looking for.
I mean your weapons are bound to break before you can actually do any meaningful damage.
He said that the game is designed around the fact that you decide when you had enough experience/ strength to beat the game so even though it might seem impossible to beat him, you are still allowed to take the chance right from the get go. To me that is such a brilliant difficulty scale and is such a fresh take on open world design that I can't believe this is the first AAA game to do something like this. It seems like an obvious design philosophy but it is actually very creative in hindsight. Let's hope the game is designed well enough around this idea and not easily breakable. Cause things can get ugly really fast if it is not handled delicately.

Who else is going straight to the castle to attempt to face Ganon as soon as they're off the plateau?

I for one look forward to getting wrecked on the way there.

TriBlade

Woo!

Once I have money again I'm gonna get Wind Waker Link and Zelda, plus the other one they did (Majora's Mask?). Deadpool is my first Nendo but BotW Link is gonna be my first Nintendo Nendo and I am super excited to get him and display him on his horse rearing up under my TV.

That's true, I didn't take into account that price was discounted. But even then, I was expecting it to be much more expensive since it seems normal Nendoroids run around $40 alone and BotW Link comes with a horse! $40 feels like a total steal for sure.

Do you know the cost of shipping to the US? I chose EMS. This is my first time ordering from this site.

I'm 99% positive he said that! Maybe I'm dreaming or something

I'll do a video search when I'm free but I'm sure I heard him say that someplace.
There was a video saying you can beat the game in 15 minutes as part of the title but Aonuma never said that in the actual interview.

He said that the game is designed around the fact that you decide when you had enough experience/ strength to beat the game so even though it might seem impossible to beat him, you are still allowed to take the chance right from the get go. To me that is such a brilliant difficulty scale and is such a fresh take on open world design that I can't believe this is the first AAA game to do something like this. It seems like an obvious design philosophy but it is actually very creative in hindsight. Let's hope the game is designed well enough around this idea and not easily breakable. Cause things can get ugly really fast if it is not handled delicately.

It reminds me of really classic CRPGs like Fallout 1 where you could basically skip the whole game if you knew where to go.

It's also a completely genius means of justifying non linearity and can easily sell people on the idea that Ganon is this unfathomable force.

giphy.gif

That's actually something I hadn't thought of - but really proves how ineffectual fighting Ganon [possibly the first of of his many forms] will be if you rush right to him after first leaving the Great Plateau.

Without the Master Sword, not only will you not stand much of a chance, but you will not see the true battles ahead past the initial boss fight - nor the true ending.

Who else is going straight to the castle to attempt to face Ganon as soon as they're off the plateau?

I for one look forward to getting wrecked on the way there.

"Not I, said the cat".

I'm going to savor this game like a fine wine, or a steak that you took hours to marinate just so you can fully enjoy the taste of it when you consume it in full :)

Noitshado

The only way I see it being beatable early on is if it can be done in relation to physics based elements such as that gravity thing you get from the begining of the demo shrine assuming its still the same with conjunction with some hp def etc boosting cooking. Otherwise it could have alternatives such as dodging attacks while doing environmental based actions such as pulling levers to drop boulders and such then luring him into a portal of some such to trap him into the sacred realm or something to that effect. Might possibly be a gruelling long winded battle with 1hit deaths and the like or at least I hope so or it be broken. Either that or the boss has several stages and each stage requires certain items weapons to beat ensuring you have met at least those minimums by default. I recall also that there is apparently 2 endings? Possibly a more robust ending at 100% completion? So maybe incentive to do both anyway. I find that a quick end boss run is usually attempted once you beat the game anyway so the option to do so being there is fine.
I dunno if Im alone in this but I would like to see like a robust dlc later down the line filling in more of the world and stories that fills in backstory and lore of some npcs that you meet along the way. Of course by default I hope the game is deep with content as stand alone from the start.

Speaking of the OT. I'm definitely staying away from all of the major Zelda sub reddits come the middle of Feb but do you think that's something I should do with the OT here or are ya'll usually pretty good about spoilers??

LotusHD

Banned
Speaking of the OT. I'm definitely staying away from all of the major Zelda sub reddits come the middle of Feb but do you think that's something I should do with the OT here or are ya'll usually pretty good about spoilers??

From what I've seen, at times people are... lacking. Even when they do put stuff in spoilers, they frame it in a way where it's pretty obvious what they're trying to keep hidden.

If it's at all possible to actually defeat Ganon within 20 minutes of leaving the Great Plateau, it's obviously going to be his first and very weakest/early form to give you some semblance of an ending. The "alternate" ending. The "main/actual" ending will be awarded by going through the entire game and getting all of the necessary things to be strong enough to fight the other forms that come after the initial "Ganon".

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
From what I've seen, at times people are... lacking. Even when they do put stuff in spoilers, they frame it in a way where it's pretty obvious what they're trying to keep hidden.

Yes, as soon as story leaks come out, bail from forums. Also beware if you follow them, GameXplain has been known to put spoilers in thumbnails at times.

watershed

Banned
I just realized the OT for this is gonna be kind of weird with people posting every little discovery, funny stuff that happened to them while they were playing, etc.

ckaneo

There should be two threads. One marked sooilers, the other spoiler free

I just realized the OT for this is gonna be kind of weird with people posting every little discovery, funny stuff that happened to them while they were playing, etc.

I think this is fun and what this game really means to players. People are going to explore around and result in different experience depending on how we play this game.

watershed

Banned
I think this is fun and what this game really means to players. People are going to explore around and result in different experience depending on how we play this game.

Yeah I think it will be great. Everyone will have a different, fun story to tell. Its kind of even weird to think of it in that way, because this is a sandbox game, the fun comes from just doing stuff and everyone will be doing different stuff thanks to the open structure of the game. The OT is gonna be amazing.

Durock

I'm tempted to face off against him at the beginning just to serve as a motivational tool to come back and kick his ass when I'm stronger later lol Sweet, sweet revenge!

I'm tempted to face off against him at the beginning just to serve as a motivational tool to come back and kick his ass when I'm stronger later lol Sweet, sweet revenge!

The funny thing is that the Old Man basically says "Are Going to the Castle O courageous one?"

He basically gives anyone who would want to go to the castle and beat the boss a shot in the arm to try and then ropes you into a mini adventure around the great plateau because of the paraglider. The intro to the game is subtle in its storytelling but it's quite nice. The Great Plateau is a pretty fantastic opening to the game overall I'd say.

ReyVGM

The only way I see it being beatable early on is if it can be done in relation to physics based elements such as that gravity thing you get from the begining of the demo shrine assuming its still the same with conjunction with some hp def etc boosting cooking. Otherwise it could have alternatives such as dodging attacks while doing environmental based actions such as pulling levers to drop boulders and such then luring him into a portal of some such to trap him into the sacred realm or something to that effect. Might possibly be a gruelling long winded battle with 1hit deaths and the like or at least I hope so or it be broken. Either that or the boss has several stages and each stage requires certain items weapons to beat ensuring you have met at least those minimums by default. I recall also that there is apparently 2 endings? Possibly a more robust ending at 100% completion? So maybe incentive to do both anyway. I find that a quick end boss run is usually attempted once you beat the game anyway so the option to do so being there is fine.
I dunno if Im alone in this but I would like to see like a robust dlc later down the line filling in more of the world and stories that fills in backstory and lore of some npcs that you meet along the way. Of course by default I hope the game is deep with content as stand alone from the start.

Hopefully it is two distinct endings. I really hate 'good' endings that just add a few things here and there when compared to the normal ending.

RetroMG

If it's at all possible to actually defeat Ganon within 20 minutes of leaving the Great Plateau, it's obviously going to be his first and very weakest/early form to give you some semblance of an ending. The "alternate" ending. The "main/actual" ending will be awarded by going through the entire game and getting all of the necessary things to be strong enough to fight the other forms that come after the initial "Ganon".

Or it will be insanely hard and will give you a special ending or joke ending, like Chrono Trigger if you go after Lavos right at the beginning of the game.

ReyVGM

It'll likely be the latter.

I'm leaning towards no if everything turns out to be as said before. No Master Sword = bad ending. Yes Master Sword = good ending.

I don't see how can they give you a proper ending by beating ganon on the first few hours of the game. I mean, you probably haven't even met Zelda in the first few hours, so it has to be two distinct endings.

Do you know the cost of shipping to the US? I chose EMS. This is my first time ordering from this site.

I've only gotten one thing from them before but they email you a quote before they ship, and from that you can change the shipping method if it's too expensive and they'll email you a new quote.

Yeah I think it will be great. Everyone will have a different, fun story to tell. Its kind of even weird to think of it in that way, because this is a sandbox game, the fun comes from just doing stuff and everyone will be doing different stuff thanks to the open structure of the game.

Kind of like what Shigeru Miyamoto did with the original "The Legend of Zelda" in 1986.

:)

takriel

I hope they included equivalents to such elusive secrets as burning bushes in the original LoZ. I hope the world is full of little secrets like that!

jariw

Yeah I think it will be great. Everyone will have a different, fun story to tell. Its kind of even weird to think of it in that way, because this is a sandbox game, the fun comes from just doing stuff and everyone will be doing different stuff thanks to the open structure of the game. The OT is gonna be amazing.

Just all the inventions and moments that player had during the E3 demo was amazing.

Yes, totally agree with you. I have asked it before, but just thinking about which direction people will go when they can get out of the plateau makes me smile. People are going to discover different things at different places after getting out the plateau. Everyone can form their own adventures and stories in this post-apocalyptic Hyrule. I am certain that sharing my adventure with fellow ZeldaGAF will be one of the best gaming experiences in recent years.

Charamiwa

Banned
Regarding spoilers and HMK, I remember Ash from GameXplain mentioned in a discussion that he saw a save file name that was apparently a huge spoiler and was asked to not say anything. Seems like it's a thing that happened to other people too?

Pif

Banned
Wii U emulator speed runs of this game using save states and video editing are gonna be insane.

Also, I totally expect to see someone making ridiculous use of the physics engine to outmaneuver the way shit was supposed to be done and beat the game in under 10 minutes or so.

Albo

I've read stories of nintendo giving out review copies a month before release (mk8 comes to mind). I assume they'd send BOTW copies early as this is a game they'd want reviewers taking their time exploring and not rush to the credits screen thinking they're done. But would they send out switch consoles this early to many journalists? or would they just send the wii u version instead and switch copies nearer to launch?

Breath if the wild... leaking...

We really are at that stage.. someone hold me ;_;

I would guess it's gonna leak in the next 2-3 weeks. This a a very sought after game people have been really thirsty for, so someone will find a way to get it.

Durock

The funny thing is that the Old Man basically says "Are Going to the Castle O courageous one?"

He basically gives anyone who would want to go to the castle and beat the boss a shot in the arm to try and then ropes you into a mini adventure around the great plateau because of the paraglider. The intro to the game is subtle in its storytelling but it's quite nice. The Great Plateau is a pretty fantastic opening to the game overall I'd say.

Nice catch! He's actually encouraging you to go and attempt a battle with him haha

And all this leak talk... think it's time to make like Shiek and disappear from the Zelda stuff. I don't want anything spoiled, unless it's the timeline placement straight from Aunoma and/or Miyamoto's mouths. Driving me nuts not knowing!

I've read stories of nintendo giving out review copies a month before release (mk8 comes to mind). I assume they'd send BOTW copies early as this is a game they'd want reviewers taking their time exploring and not rush to the credits screen thinking they're done. But would they send out switch consoles this early to many journalists? or would they just send the wii u version instead and switch copies nearer to launch?

I would guess it's gonna leak in the next 2-3 weeks. This a a very sought after game people have been really thirsty for, so someone will find a way to get it.

I guess that big sites will have a Switch + Zelda, while smaller sites will just have the Wii U version. I bet that review copies will ship next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom