• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zenless Zone Zero launches July 4 on PC, iOS, Android, and PS5

Pejo

Animation is great, but it's been censored 3 or 4 times now, and they dug their heels in with that "tv" gameplay, so this is a pass for me. Seems to be popular with the furry fanbase for obvious reasons.

FYI for PS5 folks - you don't need to pre-order this $10 pack in order to play it. The game will be available to claim/download for free once it releases on July 4th so just add it to your wishlist for now.

GOpRVIDaQAELCyE

The in-game character models look like they could be from xenoblade 2.

I'm interested. Free to play after all.

If it's not for me, no monetary loss.
I've posted in another thread, but it has some of the best animations I've seen in a game to date. So you should give it a try just for that. :p

This is a short clip I extracted from this cutscene.

Last edited:

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
I've heard that the PC version has performance issues, so I'm okay with them releasing the PS5 version several months after the PC and mobile, as long as it means they're putting in the effort to properly optimize it for console.

It looks like it's been a failed launch so they'd better take their time to fix things up for PS5 release.

I'm looking forward to Arknights Endfield but that one is likely a 2025 release.

Larxia

I'm confused about this game, because it's a gacha game right? And because of that, I was sure it would have multiplayer, but apparently no.
So what's the point in playing this and having to go through all the gacha shit mechanics, instead of playing a regular single player game? :pie_thinking:

I played Genshin for a while and I gave up because of the horrible mechanics tied to the mobile aspect of it. The gacha pull wasn't even the worst, but the resin system, and being forced to play like 20 minutes every day instead of just how much you want, when you want, is a horrible system, I didn't like this.
The artifact system was also unbearable, at some point I didn't even want to pull for new characters because I knew it would mean weeks / months of grind to get the right artifacts.

The progression in these type of games is just really not natural at all.

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
I'm confused about this game, because it's a gacha game right? And because of that, I was sure it would have multiplayer, but apparently no.
So what's the point in playing this and having to go through all the gacha shit mechanics, instead of playing a regular single player game? :pie_thinking:

????

ALL the gachas are single player. They are "regular" single-player games with character/weapon banners you get by pulling.

Honkai Star Rail is much more user-friendly, reducing dailies to a minimum and autoplay settings.

Larxia

????

ALL the gachas are single player. They are "regular" single-player games with character/weapon banners you get by pulling.

Honkai Star Rail is much more user-friendly, reducing dailies to a minimum and autoplay settings.
In Genshin there is multiplayer, but even there I found it way too limited, it wasn't present enough to justify all the micro transaction stuff, and if it's purely single player, I understand it even less, so that's why I'm thinking it's better to just play a standard single player rpg or something where you won't have to deal with the gacha issues, if there is nothing to gain here.

Last edited:

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
In Genshin there is multiplayer, but even there I found it way too limited, it wasn't present enough to justify all the micro transaction stuff, even if it's purely single player, I understand it even less, so that's why I'm thinking it's better to just play a standard single player rpg or something where you won't have to deal with the gacha issues, if there is nothing to gain here.

The MP elements in gachas are there to save you some grinding time or assist with boss fights, but they don't accompany you in the main story quests, those are pure single player as any other regular SP game.

The currency you pay is for obtaining new characters/weapons that you will use to have more variety in the single player quests or for better PVP if some of those are meta-characters, but that mostly applies to whales, not casual or F2P players.

If you don't care for any of that stuff, you can progress naturally as in any other game.

I played Genshin for a while and I gave up because of the horrible mechanics tied to the mobile aspect of it. The gacha pull wasn't even the worst, but the resin system, and being forced to play like 20 minutes every day instead of just how much you want, when you want, is a horrible system, I didn't like this.
The artifact system was also unbearable, at some point I didn't even want to pull for new characters because I knew it would mean weeks / months of grind to get the right artifacts.
I play Genshin on the side still and I completely feel this way.

I really, really love the style of the game, how it feels to play, and how I can jump between PC and Mobile. I would have an absolute blast going hard on the grind and raising all my characters as I do with any RNG loot game. However being limited to about 10 minutes of Resin a day just drags things out to such painful levels that I simply lose interest. Consequently Genshin, and any other game that uses mobile-style stamina, will never be anything more than a side-game to me. I'll never spend a dime on a side game like that.

Like you mentioned, I would actually be more apt to pull more characters but I hold back for the same reason as you. When I see a showcase for a new character it builds hype, then reality sets in that it may be months of daily grinding before that character is amazing.

I play Genshin on the side still and I completely feel this way.

I really, really love the style of the game, how it feels to play, and how I can jump between PC and Mobile. I would have an absolute blast going hard on the grind and raising all my characters as I do with any RNG loot game. However being limited to about 10 minutes of Resin a day just drags things out to such painful levels that I simply lose interest. Consequently Genshin, and any other game that uses mobile-style stamina, will never be anything more than a side-game to me. I'll never spend a dime on a side game like that.

Like you mentioned, I would actually be more apt to pull more characters but I hold back for the same reason as you. When I see a showcase for a new character it builds hype, then reality sets in that it may be months of daily grinding before that character is amazing.

What I like about HSR is that the resin actually builds up a lot more now. You get like 2000+ from not playing. Then by the time you come back you can earn resin refills as rewards plus use your 2000+ and get some decent time with building up characters. Not sure if Genshin has this now or not.

Last edited:
What I like about HSR is that the resin actually builds up a lot more now. You get like 2000+ from not playing. Then by the time you come back you can earn resin refills as rewards plus use your 2000+ and get some decent time with building up characters. Not sure if Genshin has this now or not.
That's better quality of life, but the core issue of wanting to play more is not solved with a system based around not playing lol.

They know what they are doing as I'm sure they make a fortune on resin refills.

That's better quality of life, but the core issue of wanting to play more is not solved with a system based around not playing lol.

They know what they are doing as I'm sure they make a fortune on resin refills.

Well you get to play more but yes the core issue of getting to play as long as you want isn't solved. Which to me is fine and something I prefer honestly. It doesn't force me to just continually play the game and nothing else.

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
In Genshin stamina is not a problem, you can roam free around the map and do whatever you like, except for boss fights or dungeons. In HSR it's the content limitation what keeps you from playing more. I think that game has a better quality of life. In any case, what I miss in both is a synch system like in other gachas. They could easily implement it as a favor of gods or a tech device. Shame.

I came back to Genshin after a long absence and found a bunch of characters I didn't even know but couldn't use due to no level.

llLeonhart

I've heard that the PC version has performance issues, so I'm okay with them releasing the PS5 version several months after the PC and mobile, as long as it means they're putting in the effort to properly optimize it for console.
I have a very modest ryzen 7 with a 3050. Had no major perfomance issues. Plus, we've got not only the pre register rewards, but also a lot "sorry" rewards. If they at least give those + a few extra fpr the wait that'd be cool

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
This game has HUGE animations, despite some downgrade here and there.

I like that the MCs SPEAK, thank goodness. Mute dual MCs is by far the worst thing in gacha games, a stupid trend that needs to die. I'd rather have an only character with a well-written story, like Kiana from Honkai Impact.

Last edited:
Top Bottom