• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Time Dilemma (Zero Escape 3) review thread

Strimei

Hm. I'm going to be sans my PC for at least half a week (it needs repairing), and with this arriving next week...maybe I'll be able to fit in 999 and VLR as a warmup.

I can't wait to have my brain absolutely twisted and warped by ZTD!

UberTag

It makes totes sense. Lol.

So far, it is my favorite of the three stories but I am not a big fan of the disjointedness of the segments. I mean, I get why it is the way it is but....eh...

At least it makes sense as opposed to Beyond. Although I might be talking out my ass on that because it was a while since I played it.
Can you answer the following question without spoiling anything in detail?

Once you've completed the game and experienced all of the disjointed segments (effectively filled out the flow chart in its entirety), can you go back and experience them from beginning to end in semi-chronological order?

DNAbro

So far, it is my favorite of the three stories but I am not a big fan of the disjointedness of the segments. I mean, I get why it is the way it is but....eh...

At least it makes sense as opposed to Beyond. Although I might be talking out my ass on that because it was a while since I played it.

fuck why isn't it next Tuesday.

This propaganda is working properly

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

So far, it is my favorite of the three stories --

Oh god I'm going to be up all night every night playing this aren't I? Why isn't it next week yet?

coffee-sylvester-cat.gif

Can you answer the following question without spoiling anything in detail?

Once you've completed the game and experienced all of the disjointed segments (effectively filled out the flow chart in its entirety), can you go back and experience them from beginning to end in semi-chronological order?
Not there yet. Still have a few hours left.

Edit:

It totally didnt click until I read this but,
(dont know if this is really spoilers but w/e) I totally forgot about the VLR-esque flow chart. But you dont really need to have to use it.

fuck why isn't it next Tuesday.

This propaganda is working properly

Oh god I'm going to be up all night every night playing this aren't I? Why isn't it next week yet?

coffee-sylvester-cat.gif

I wouldnt read too much into that. I think partially it is because of the Saw-esque nature of the story and I enjoyed them.

Also, I like things that the majority tend to not, like BvS and Speed Racer the movie.

But I am liking how it connects to both games.

So, are the watch orders from amazon the only ones delayed or are all orders delayed? I'm wondering if I'll have to venture out to find the game because I'd like to play it day one rather than two or three :(

So, are the watch orders from amazon the only ones delayed or are all orders delayed? I'm wondering if I'll have to venture out to find the game because I'd like to play it day one rather than two or three :(
All of them, from what I've heard.
And they're not delayed. Just no estimate yet because they haven't received the shipment.

Gvitor

It totally didnt click until I read this but,
(dont know if this is really spoilers but w/e) I totally forgot about the VLR-esque flow chart. But you dont really need to have to use it.

No need to spoiler that, pre-release screenshots showed it. You don't really have to use it, but if you wish to play it in chronological order after you finished the game, you can.
As chronological as it gets, that is.

Jintor

Lmao i just realised i took vacation 29-1st to study for my Japanese test on Sunday but

...BUT

...BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT

oh god i'm going to fail my exam aren't i

Shirke

Oh boy, I'm gonna go on no-spoiler mode for ZTD and Ace Attorney 6 until I can finish 999 again and VLR. Some of VLR's biggest twists were revealed to me, so I'm trying to stay clean from that. But to anyone who has the game, are there any big shocking twists or moments that can one-up VLR?

Korigama

Still wondering which this will appeal to more, people who liked 999 better, or people who liked VLR better. Also curious as to whether they overdid it in turning the horror and violence back up.

Dominator

All of them, from what I've heard.
And they're not delayed. Just no estimate yet because they haven't received the shipment.
Yeah there are 2 copies reserved at the GameStop I work at and neither of them have even shipped to the store yet, so I'm hoping they arrive by next Tuesday. Usually new releases have at least been sent out by the warehouse by now for the following week.

Sandfox

I have eshop credit so as long as the 3DS version doesn't have lag I'll be getting that one. Hopefully we get some impressions on it prior to launch.

I have eshop credit so as long as the 3DS version doesn't have lag I'll be getting that one. Hopefully we get some impressions on it prior to launch.
No hoping needed! A few impressions have already been posted in this thread, including in the very first post, and the review embargo ends Thursday! :)

The 3DS version looks awful.

It's fine
No lag, just clunky animation.

Also, for anyone planning on going to anime expo in l.a.:

Real Escape Game by SCRAP x Zero Time Dilemma
LA City Puzzle Adventure vol.1:
ZERO ESCAPE PUZZLE HUNT
We are happy to announce our first City Puzzle Adventure in LA “ZERO ESCAPE PUZZLE HUNT,” a collaboration with “Zero Time Dilemma.” You walk around in Anime Expo 2016 and Little Tokyo neighborhood to solve puzzles. The game is available only during AX weekend, so don't miss it!
There is no 60-minutes limit, and you can start, stop, and resume the game anytime between 12pm and 8pm of AX weekend.

DATES: July 1st to 4th, 2016
VENUE: AX2016 and Little Tokyo
TICKETS: FREE !!

Draw the prizes after completing the game in front Japanese American National Museum!
Raffle Prizes are Zero Time Dilemma goods, Real Escape Games tickets, and more!

Get a game kit at:

SCRAP Booth (AX Entertainment Hall)

Aksys Games Booth #2805 (AX Exhibit Hall)

Anime Jungle Booth #2614 (AX Exhibit Hall)

Real Escape Game LA in Little Tokyo (123 Astronaut E S Onizuka St. #200, Los
Angeles, CA 90012)

Anime Jungle in Little Tokyo (319 E 2nd St. #103, Los Angeles CA 90012)

Little Tokyo Koban and Visitor’s Center (307 E 1st St., Los Angeles CA 90189)

*You may still play the game without the entry to Anime Expo 2016, if you receive a game kit at Little Tokyo.

They don't have any game breaking bugs in the 3DS version this time right?

From what I've seen, it seems to pitch a fit if you use sleep mode during a cutscene segment, but going in and out of the home menu is the worst I've had to do to fix it. It will otherwise eventually self correct.

Dinjoralo

Well, this'll be a safe buy from the looks of things. I'm honestly happy with the new approach for the presentation, since it might mean this game might not have a few of the pacing problems from 999 or VLR.

Still wondering which this will appeal to more, people who liked 999 better, or people who liked VLR better. Also curious as to whether they overdid it in turning the horror and violence back up.

Appeal:
As someone who enjoyed both for their own reasons, I feel like the game isn't going to let either group down tbh. They might lean toward Team C or Team D depending on preference, but neither will be disappointed.

Horror:
To say the least, no they aren't remotely shy about the death and gore. But it's kind of a key part of the plot, at least from what I've so far gathered.

I'd be interested to hear how original this game is, but I doubt we'll get a reviewer familiar with Uchikoshi's works. I just hope that we don't get another VLR full of recycled material.

Korigama

Appeal:
As someone who enjoyed both for their own reasons, I feel like the game isn't going to let either group down tbh. They might lean toward Team C or Team D depending on preference, but neither will be disappointed.

Horror:
To say the least, no they aren't remotely shy about the death and gore. But it's kind of a key part of the plot, at least from what I've so far gathered.
Ah, that's good to hear. Also,
the level of violence serving a purpose, rather than simply being for the sake of making up for the second game being more tame
sounds reassuring.

Dr. Buni

Reviews are usually not relevant to me, but for this game in particular they are even less relevant. 999 and VLR were great, so even if the reviews gave the game 5/10 I'd still buy it to experience the closure of the series.

Z3M0G

Absolutely not. Playing this without playing at least VLR is pointless.

They say you can play any of them and still get a decent story, but even more so than 999 I really think you should play virtues last reward first if you haven't.

I'm no reviewer and haven't played zero time dilemma yet, but to put it as spoiler light as possible, it seems to me like uchikoshi always planned viertues last reward to have a direct sequel, whereas 999 is almost standalone and had a sequel decided on later.

Absolutely not! It is vital to play all titles in this series, as a good percentage of the experience of each one is playing off of your expectations from the previous title. A lot would be lost if you skipped either 999 or VLR. They're also both incredibly good and worth checking out. ZTD will still be there when you finish.

Not to beat a dead horse, but you should absolutley beat 999 first. At the very least, get your hands on VLR as Zero Time Dilemma is more of a direct sequel to VLR than 999, even though the game does not begin with that notion. Regardless, I'd imagine that in order to get the most out of ZTD, it is imperative to finish the previous two Zero Escape games.

Ooops, I don't know why I worded my question the way I did... I never intended to jump directly to this game... I just meant skipping the remainder of 999 and starting Zero Escape from the first game, which I own thanks to PS+.

Volcynika

Ooops, I don't know why I worded my question the way I did... I never intended to jump directly to this game... I just meant skipping the remainder of 999 and starting Zero Escape from the first game, which I own thanks to PS+.

999 is the first Zero Escape game tho! :p

999 is the first Zero Escape game, but the Zero Escape title was added later in the series with the introduction of Virtue's Last Reward. A bit confusing, but the 999 title doesn't really work in VLR's story (and I'm assuming it wouldn't have worked with ZTD as well), so I'm assuming they added the Zero Escape title just to make sure that from then on it was understood to be a series. If I remember correctly, the repressings of 999 have the Zero Escape logo on them.

Way too much spoiler text here and I have a feeling one of GAFers are going to let something slip that I don't want to know. I'm out.

See you all in 6-7 days.

Top Bottom