• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Narcos’ Location Scout Shot and Killed in Mexico

Dalek

‘Narcos’ Location Scout Shot and Killed in Mexico

Mexican location scout Carlos Muñoz Portal was shot to death in a violent region in central Mexico Monday while scouting for season four of Netflix’s hit show “Narcos.” The seasoned scout, who worked for Stacy Perskie’s Mexico City-based production company Redrum, has a slew of high profile credits to his name, including, “Sicario,” “Spectre,” “Fast & Furious” and “Apocalypto.”

Netflix issued the following statement: “We are aware of the passing of Carlos Muñoz Portal, a well-respected location scout, and send our condolences to his family. The facts surrounding his death are still unknown as authorities continue to investigate.

Muñoz’s bullet-riddled body and car were found in a remote area near the borders of Hidalgo state, which is said to have the highest murder rate in Mexico. In July, 182 cases of homicide were reported in the densely populated state, a ratio of 12.2 for every 100,000 inhabitants.

According to local reports, authorities have had trouble piecing together the circumstances that led to his killing, given the dearth of witnesses.

Netflix’s season 4 is said to be exploring the origins of Mexico’s infamous Juarez cartel just as season 3 focused on the rise and fall of Colombia’s Cali cartel and heralded the shift of the drug wars to Mexico.

Holy hell...

shaneo632

I always find it weird when people use the phrase "passing away" when someone dies in violent and unnatural circumstances. Just sounds so wrong.

RIP Carlos Muñoz Portal.

tbm24

I always find it weird when people use the phrase "passing away" when someone dies in violent and unnatural circumstances. Just sounds so wrong.

RIP Carlos Muñoz Portal.
I mean, out of respect for his family, it sounds alot better than saying violently murdered.

Raptor

There is people in every corner that are ignorant and so detached of the media that probably saw him taking pictures and thought he was some kind of fed or something, and killed him on the spot, such is the state of my country.

v1lla21

There is people in every corner that are ignorant and so detached of the media that probably saw him taking pictures and thought he was some kind of fed or something, and killed him on the spot, such is the state of my country.
Yeah pretty much.

RIP

This is the state of the country, and many families flee from such life in hopes of a better future in America. It is a tragic thing that this happened to someone innocent.

So they just killed the dude doing a harmeless job just for the hell of it? Jeez

It seems that no one really knows what happened yet. It's hard to imagine they blew his car and body to bits "just for the hell of it", but what that reason was seems unknown at this point. Maybe he saw something he shouldn't have, maybe it was a case of mistaken identity, maybe it was some sort of weird initiation, or perhaps he ended up involved in something dangerous.

qcf x2

That sucks... and what a shitty job. Why can't they just fake a location based on already available intel like they do with most Hollywood things?

Also, why is there even a season 4, but that's besides the point. Poor guy... no way would you get me to "scout" a place with 182 homicides and who knows how many more non-fatal shootings in a month.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Do location scouts take photos? If so that could spell disaster for certain places in Mexico.

Mexico has incredibly dangerous areas due to drug cartels. This won't change anything.

My wife's Mexican side of the family doesn't visit North Mexico anymore. Cartel will shoot people in their houses and take the deed.

Remember that stuff about Pablo Escobar? That's the reality in large parts of Mexico.

120v

Despite loving the culture, language and people, I really wish my upcoming cruise destination wasn't Mexico.

well there's mexico and there's north mexico.

can't imagine what he was doing there alone. seems he's done it plenty times before but that really is no mans land

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Despite loving the culture, language and people, I really wish my upcoming cruise destination wasn't Mexico.

So long as you are out of the drug routes it's like going to any other country in the area. Cozumel is safe, but definitely make basic security measures to mitigate theft like concealed wallets under clothing.

Think about shit like this before you buy illegal drugs from your local dealer, Americans. There's no such thing as a victimless crime when you help sustain these drug traffickers buy buying their fucking shit.

Popular tourist destinations are as safe as they can get, man. Especially cruise destinations like Cozumel. You'll be perfectly fine. Enjoy your vacation! Mexico is a beautiful place to visit.

RanciscOS

Neo Member
Think about shit like this before you buy illegal drugs from your local dealer, Americans. There's no such thing as a victimless crime when you help sustain these drug traffickers buy buying their fucking shit.

Off-topic: Your comment reminded me of a friend who won't consume any drugs for this same reason. We both are from the north of Mexico and, in our opinion, we consider irresponsible to contribute to something that is actively destroying our homes.

Back to topic, this is a really unfortunate situation and reflects the ugliest part of an otherwise amazing country.

Da-Kid

That's.. a fucked up way to go, even a fucked up way to announce season 4 was happening. I don't know if they publicly announced prior.

They need to shoot in a place that's not Mexico but can look the part. Aka, Texas and parts of California.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The facts surrounding his death are still unknown as authorities continue to investigate.

Muñoz’s bullet-riddled body and car were found in a remote area near the borders of Hidalgo state

oh yeah the facts are definitely unknown definitely no inference we can make from this turn of events

Top Bottom