• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Narcos’ Location Scout Shot and Killed in Mexico

Despite loving the culture, language and people, I really wish my upcoming cruise destination wasn't Mexico.
Don't worry, mate. I'm Mexican and I can pretty much guarantee that if you're going on a turistic cruise, the chances of you running into trouble are almost zero (especially if you stick to your tour or whatever it is you're doing). Enjoy your trip!

There is people in every corner that are ignorant and so detached of the media that probably saw him taking pictures and thought he was some kind of fed or something, and killed him on the spot, such is the state of my country.
Pretty much. When children, we are all taught that we shouldn't do good things that might seem bad ("no hagas cosas buenas que parezcan malas"). He probably just was in the wrong place at the wrong time... may he rest in peace.

commedieu

Banned
Mexico has its bad spots. And now a seeming drug war for leadership due to the loss of El chapo. People can get riddled with bullets in the United States for being brown, or a white woman in pajamas at night. A lot of production happens in Mexico. This is bizarre that dude didn't have security in a well known bad region. It's likely something he's done a million times, or felt comfortable, maybe didn't want to bring attention to himself. Wrong place and his time was up.

Its a lovely country with tough people that have to live with cartels and poverty empowered by demand from the United states. It could be greatly reduced, but..

MaulerX

Was season four going to start focusing on Mexican drug lords? I can see some of those people not wanting that. Absolutely crazy. RIP.

Jigolo

The hell is not that bad for Mexico?
Still bad. I usually go every summer to visit and it's never been this bad before. Whatever you do don't drive to mexico from the US. Went this past year and 3 families from my small village were kidnapped when they drove in from Chicago and California within the same week. I always fly now but I used to go driving all the time and now I would never go on ground. It's become a garbage dump of drug lords that run the government

Still bad. I usually go every summer to visit and it's never been this bad before. Whatever you do don't drive to mexico from the US. Went this past year and 3 families from my small village were kidnapped when they drove in from Chicago and California within the same week. I always fly now but I used to go driving all the time and now I would never go on ground. It's become a garbage dump of drug lords that run the government

That's terrible. Poor families.

Rktk

I don't understand this post. Why?

Colombia has come a long way, if your show is set in Colombia, why not try filming there.

My comment is a bit random, it's not relevant to the poor guy who died and Colombia certainly has dangerous parts.

labx

Banned
Colombia has come a long way, if your show is set in Colombia, why not try filming there.

My comment is a bit random, it's not relevant to the poor guy who died and Colombia certainly has dangerous parts.

Yeah, it is random. I'm from Colombia, Medellín in fact. Knowing my country and Mexico, the two nations are VERY different from each other, not only in the cultural side but in their geography. Because the two countries have suffered from the war on drugs that doesn't mean that they are the same.

If you read the op, you'll see they it was going to be based in Mexico.

Rktk

Yeah, it is random. I'm from Colombia, Medellín in fact. Knowing my country and Mexico, the two nations are VERY different from each other, not only in the cultural side but in their geography. Because the two countries have suffered from the war on drugs that doesn't mean that they are the same.

I was in Medellín last week, I moved to Bogotá 5 months ago from London. I'm not saying they are the same, clearly I didn't read OP regarding where the show was supposed to be set.

If you read the op, you'll see they it was going to be based in Mexico.

Silly me.

Sir Doom

I wonder if we has taking pictures and they thought of him as a cop

EDIT: heard on BBC NEWS he was indeed taking pictures

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
There is people in every corner that are ignorant and so detached of the media that probably saw him taking pictures and thought he was some kind of fed or something, and killed him on the spot, such is the state of my country.
This is probably the most likely scenario

labx

Banned
I was in Medellín last week, I moved to Bogotá 5 months ago from London. I'm not saying they are the same, clearly I didn't read OP regarding where the show was supposed to be set

Está bien. Enjoy the capital.

You think this murder had something to do with the Carteles?

Terrible news, Edo de Mexico is the most disgusting place in Mexico and one of the most insecure, the only good place there is Valle de Bravo, i hope i never have to go there.

antonz

Not the wisest decision to wanna make a season on an active cartel that is notorious for this exact kind of thing in their actual area. Rip to the location scouter but seriously wtf was Netflix etc. thinking even considering on location.

Arizona has plenty of desert and so does California that can pass for Mexico and not guarantee people die.

Not the wisest decision to wanna make a season on an active cartel that is notorious for this exact kind of thing in their actual area. Rip to the location scouter but seriously wtf was Netflix etc. thinking even considering on location.

Arizona has plenty of desert and so does California that can pass for Mexico and not guarantee people die.
This is the most baffling thing of all. It seems ignorance has caused the life of a human being.

Maybe he was scouting and Netflix gave him free reigns to go wherever? They may not have known where he planned to go except Northern Mexico. Its really hard to say. He scouted Juarez for a previous movie so he's familiar with dangerous city areas.

Also you can't just pick Arizona or California unless your filming desert scenes. I'm sure if this was a decent size city area it's going to look vastly different than a US city.

faridmon

I don't care what anyone says: Mexico is a fucked up place. You just don't shoot an innocent worker who is harmless like that. RIP and condolences to his family.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Beyond fucking sad. RIP to the victim. I hope Neflix takes better precautions going forward.

Madness

Popular tourist destinations are as safe as they can get, man. Especially cruise destinations like Cozumel. You'll be perfectly fine. Enjoy your vacation! Mexico is a beautiful place to visit.

Increasingly they're not. You are hearing of more sexual assaults, robberies, thefts and kidnappings from popular places as well. The entire country is on the verge of becoming another narco state. Everyone from politicians, judges, cops, everything has been bought by cartels. Even some US Border Patrol. Saying they are as safe as they can get is true in that they have armed security and the Cartels and gangs avoid any foreign murky issues. Last thing they need is 10 American tourists being killed and DEA and FBI and CIA coming the country or Mexico deploying national soldiers. But very ironic that the scout for season 4, about a show that will highlight the rise of Mexico post-Colombia as a global cocaine, crystal meth and drug haven is killed because he was probably thought to be Federale or a rat or cop.

Permanently A

That's scary, damn. Why do you want to shoot on location in a fucking awful neighborhood? Just film it somewhere else and pretend its Mexico.

Top Bottom