• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“We Just Feel Like We Don’t Belong Here Anymore” - Mother Jones

The-bingo-scene-from-Get-Out-77-740x325.jpg

Not enough surprised as a black person who grew up in the south.

Edit: thinking about it more, should say America period.
Yeah, I even just said "south" myself but Trump didn't win the Midwest out of any sort of fluke. Rural voters in every northern state might as well have redneck exchange programs with the Bible Belt.

Protein

Banned
Are these the people we're supposed to have a conversation with?

Fuck that. I'd rather they get punched in the head tbh.

You'd punch an old lady in the head?

Oh she'd be seeing stars and bars floating around her head for the next few hours if she said that to my mom.

Crocodile

We need more stories like these and less "Trump may have pooped his pants but his voters are still with him" stories. Fuck Trump voters. They may be people with real issues but they made a stupid, fucked up choice last year. Fuck them and fuck their racist/dumb asses!

Yeah, go ahead and keep thinking that Confederate is a wonderful idea for a new show, HBO...

I was going to say the same thing. You KNOW there's people out there just salivating, ready to jack off at that show.

I can't even begin to fathom how scared some of those people mentioned in the article are. I just wish I can give then a hug and offer some kind of comfort.

I'm so confused? An article about rural working class people of color? And they're saying that rural working class white people are racist as hell? That flies in the face of so much I've been hearing over the past year!

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I feel it. Spent the last 5 years in charleston sc. The last 2 were rough. Blatant racism every week.

HylianTom

Banned
It's rich.

Republicans mock liberal voters for living in bubbles.. while creating an environment where those bubbles are the only places that may feel somewhat safe to live in.

Shitheels.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
One of the reasons I hate reading stories like these is they just reinforce my already limited and jaded view of huge rural chunks of the united states. I always used to joke and make fun of country bumpkin racists rednecks and how they are all backwards ass loony tune mother fuckers and then laugh and roll it back with "nah no no no i know all kinds of people are everywhere it just sucks those states are so deeply red" or some such shit...

and now? after this last year? ... no man. People are racist shitbird fucks worth nothing.

How can an American person - adult or kid or fucking anyone - make a fucking joke to their friend about MAKING THEM A SLAVE

Fuck these people. Fuck their well being and their families and their farms and their homes. I honestly hope their situation falls and fails and they lose their shitty history and fucked culture and then die and fade away into our most shamed corners of history where they fucking belong.

Sickening.

TLDR: I'm a white dude and feel like I don't really belong here anymore, I can't imagine how actually oppressed people feel.

Long version:I grew up pretty sheltered from seeing racism - my parents always considered themselves to have conservative values, but race didn't directly factor into my family's judgement about people, ever.

When I got to college, I became more conservative than ever because none of my friends or family were racist but I was repeatedly told that white people were racist and I felt attacked and wanted to push back.

It really wasn't until I started teaching in a blue-collar school district that I started to see minority kids and families continuously getting fucked over that I started to swing left with my values. These were kids and families that were working hard, but it just didn't matter, they were always getting screwed. It really opened my eyes about how race affected people's actions, and how hard work really wasn't rewarded in a lot of cases.

At that point I still considered myself kinda moderate, but since politics in general have swung right I was considered left leaning by my family.

Since Trump, holy hell, its been a shock seeing how messed up people are when they are emboldened about race. I honestly had no idea that things were so bad, and what shitbags so many people were. While, thankfully, its not people I interact with on a regular basis, its made me feel much more like a stranger in my own communities. I just can't relate to a significant portion of my country's own citizens, its so weird.

Luckily for me, I just feel alone but don't have to deal with the consequences like these people do. Its truly bizarre.

Sidenote: I'm pretty proud that my parents in their mid 70's have changed from a conservative view to a slightly left leaning one. All it took was a blatantly racist, incompetent asshole to do it, haha.

KingK

I'm from Indiana. It's always been really fucking bad here, but every single one of my non-white friends has remarked to me how much worse it's gotten since Trump.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I admit I'm amused at the comments by people shocked that people nonchalantly make slavery jokes to black people.

I mean, hell, one of my white friends used to call me her "little negro," among other things, and I lived in a big city. This type of "soft racism" or "casual racism" is a regular thing for minorities. It's not quite as innocuous as "can I touch your hair?" but it's still none-the-less upsetting. Most of us have grown accustomed to laughing it off (Protip: We are NOT amused, but shrugging it off is often easier than, say, making a complaint to HR and getting laid off because of it. Source: me making a complaint to HR then "mysteriously" getting laid off a few days later).

Some of the nicest, most "colorblind (eyeroll)" people in the country will let that mask slip real quick when a figure of authority, like, say, the President of the United States, makes it easier for them to justify letting an "off color" comment fly.

Being a light skinned blacked guy, who is often mistaken for not black (I usually get a lot of people thinking I'm Mexican or Puerto Rican), it's been enlightening to learn what white people I thought was cool really thought about black people. Yeah, real enlightening. Yet, not surprising.

It's sad, because there are genuine allies in the fight against those who want to harm and oppress marginalized groups (blacks, LGBTQ community, Jewish people, Mexicans, etc, etc), but the water gets muddied, and it's impossible to not feel lost and alone when people who you thought were your friends/allies, slip up. Depressing as fuck, really.

Hazzuh

Turner’s mom, who cleans houses in town for a living, went to work a couple of days after that, and her employer, an older white woman, brought up the results of the recent election. The two had talked politics before—Turner’s mom is a Democrat, and her employer is a Republican. “Well, you might as well come and live with me now,” the employer said. “You gonna be mine eventually.”
Another friend assured her that it would be okay if Trump won the election because she would convince her parents to purchase Turner’s family as their new slaves. In a place where a few large plantation-style houses remain scattered through the county, the “joke” feels a lot like a threat.

ECU5TMn.gif

Rayis

But guys, we need to listen to them! Don't you know they're not racist, they're economically anxious! Get it right.

I feel like vomitting, this country is regressing.

Top Bottom