• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Gran Turismo Sport’ To End of Online Services

Last month. I still play GT4 weekly.

The better question is, why are you trying to defend always online/GAAS design?

I'm not defending it at all. I don't own a single always online game or a GaaS game.

I'm just perplexed that people go into the situation with their eyes open and don't like that these games aren't supported forever.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Uummm

Ummm no, last I checked for gt7, when the servers are offline all content is locked, single player races included. The only option open to play is music rally
well yeah, that's GT7. It's worse on that front. In here it clearly states that singleplayer content will still be open

Goliath77

well yeah, that's GT7. It's worse on that front. In here it clearly states that singleplayer content will still be open
Yea just realised my argument was with gt7 not sport, at least the single player is open. I hope they bring offline mode to gt7 but fear the worst

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
There are decade old PC games with less than 100 players active with online servers. I'll never be amazed just how cheap these billion dollar corporations are to shut down servers for fairly recent, fairly popular games.
It's because decade old PC games let you make your own servers. Simple as.
It's not that the game is unplayable, or there's a DRM that prevents you from playing the game. the singleplayer events are still open. It's that the game had a heavy multiplayer skew and was all about online, competitive racing. So 80% of what made the game worth is is basically gone. It's the fate of an online game without dedicated servers that anyone can host.

Look at Quake. People still play that game because all you need for online is a computer that can create a server. There's no server in ID's offices you have to connect to, you can host one by yourself. If GT Sport let you do this,they'd never need to shut jack shit down because anyone with a PS4 can play. But because everything's on a central server, you're kinda fucked, here.

I'm pretty sure it works the same way for Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon, too. Since the game is P2P, you can still even play the old ass Wii U version online despite Nintendo basically abandoning anything that has to do with the Wii U.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
They see games now todays games make money it’s mind boggling closing a game helps the new game which is packaged with updates, new cars.

Aenima

We dont know what will happen at the end of the life of GT7, but im hopping they release a patch to let players keep playing the single player modes and save the game locally.

GT Sport also used online saves only, and they will allow you to keep playing and progressing in ur single player carreer after the servers shut down.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Sony the day after they release an online game

tenor.gif

Last edited:

The Stig

You don't own GT7? It's online only as well because the Sport portion of it is integrated into the main map. Disconnecting from online turns it into basically a demo with just 13 cars and 16 tracks and no progression.
No I own GT7. Im a lvl 50 car collector.

I played a couple of races online and it was a shit show.

99.9% of the time I played GT7 was single player

ShakenG

Last month. I still play GT4 weekly.

The better question is, why are you trying to defend always online/GAAS design?
Maybe i missed something, but doesn't it say you can still progress the single player mode? Sounds like it will get a update. So if thats true, how are we losing it other than the online component?

A.Romero

So you pay $12 a month?

Over the course of 7 years that's over $1000 my man. There is no world where that is better value than a one off game purchase (even if that purchase is done at full price). The monthly fee to play online on consoles is mentioned in my previous post.

The only comparable service to what GT Sport offered on PC is iracing and they charge you monthly with no option to purchase anything outright. Yes stuff like LFM exists for ACC and Rfactor 2 but they are not end-to-end, they are external services that you have to set up on your own outside of the game itself.

I'm just stating that I rather pay a sub and decide how to consume the content than to be shafted with a $70 cost upfront at the risk of it being discontinued in less than 10 years.

But what you are saying is fair, it's just a different business model. I expected a longer life, that's all. Specially for a game with such a big online component.

iRacing is indeed the only one using that model and charging over $10 a month (which seems steep to me) but I haven't played it nor follow it so I'm not sure if they offer good value.

Phase

Somebody with knowledge, can you help explain to me why companies always shut down servers of online games like this? It can't be that much money for these companies to keep a product around for their customer base. Are they really trying to save a miniscule amount of money and/or funneling people to a new product or is there more at play?

Last edited:
GT Sport came out 6 years ago. They don't need to offer a discount to people who haven't purchased GT7.
Why do people on this site hate gaming so badly?

I mean, they raised the cost of playing online by 30%. This is the least they could do. Hell, GT7 should be free to play at that rate.

TTOOLL

Sad, I don’t know how the community is nowadays but I played it a lot in the past.

I still haven’t bought a ps5 + gt7 because I just don’t have time to play. Is it as good as GT Sport? How’s the community?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
People hate Activision and Bobb Kotick all the time, but one thing you got to give credit is they leave their games online for ages. People are still playing World and War, MW2 and BO from 15 years ago.

And you even had to pay an online sub. Hilarious. Console online is a scam.
Paying always was. It's just a big money maker.

What ever happened to the "we need sub fees to support online service?" And this is a first party game which will close online after 6 years, not some small third party game.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

Rip gt sport, great game that changed my mind for racing games. From not that much interested to be my almost fav genre.

Kerotan

GT7 is far superior and also available on PS4 I believe. People should upgrade they won't be disappointed.

demigod

I'm just stating that I rather pay a sub and decide how to consume the content than to be shafted with a $70 cost upfront at the risk of it being discontinued in less than 10 years.

But what you are saying is fair, it's just a different business model. I expected a longer life, that's all. Specially for a game with such a big online component.

iRacing is indeed the only one using that model and charging over $10 a month (which seems steep to me) but I haven't played it nor follow it so I'm not sure if they offer good value.
At first you said you pay $10 a year and now you’re saying you pay $12 a month? Which is it!?!

demigod

It's not that the game is unplayable, or there's a DRM that prevents you from playing the game. the singleplayer events are still open. It's that the game had a heavy multiplayer skew and was all about online, competitive racing. So 80% of what made the game worth is is basically gone. It's the fate of an online game without dedicated servers that anyone can host.

Look at Quake. People still play that game because all you need for online is a computer that can create a server. There's no server in ID's offices you have to connect to, you can host one by yourself. If GT Sport let you do this,they'd never need to shut jack shit down because anyone with a PS4 can play. But because everything's on a central server, you're kinda fucked, here.

I'm pretty sure it works the same way for Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon, too. Since the game is P2P, you can still even play the old ass Wii U version online despite Nintendo basically abandoning anything that has to do with the Wii U.
This is why online gaming on PC is superior. You don’t have to worry about servers shutting down. If it does, someone will emulate it.

Ozzie666

I always laugh at these then scrratch my head at games like Everquest 1 (1999) which are still up and running and somehow paying the bills. Obviously different monetary models, but still. How much does it costs to leave a few servers in a corner.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
There goes the excuse that paid multiplayer goes to keeping the servers online. It was always a bullshit excuse.
It always was.

Funny how PC gaming has had free online (aside from GAAS like MMO) since the beginning and everything is fine.

I always laugh at these then scrratch my head at games like Everquest 1 (1999) which are still up and running and somehow paying the bills. Obviously different monetary models, but still. How much does it costs to leave a few servers in a corner.
It costs so little nobody in accounting would even notice. COD servers for ancient games from the 360 days are still online. I just played World at War MP a few weeks ago and it still works on Xbox. Game came out in 2007. I dont have the game to test it, but if you google it some gamers tested to see if COD 2 still worked and it does assuming enough gamers log on to MP. 2006 game on Xbox.

Last edited:

Dorohedoro

They're gonna remove access to the custom liveries when GT7 gets put on the chopping block too aren't they? BS. I've downloaded a lot of good ones there, they give the cars more "flavor" and it's ashame they'll eventually be gone forever and I'll be forced to stick to the base models.

th4tguy

I still don’t understand why there isn’t a single gt game on ps+
I’d love to play one but don’t want to buy it.

Aenima

They're gonna remove access to the custom liveries when GT7 gets put on the chopping block too aren't they? BS. I've downloaded a lot of good ones there, they give the cars more "flavor" and it's ashame they'll eventually be gone forever and I'll be forced to stick to the base models.
The liveries and decals ppl created in GT Sport moved to GT7 when the game came out. It was great cuz GT7 started with a huge amount of user created stuff. When GT8 comes out they might do the same . And yeah the liveries is my favorite online feature in GT7.

Dorohedoro

The liveries and decals ppl created in GT Sport moved to GT7 when the game came out. It was great cuz GT7 started with a huge amount of user created stuff. When GT8 comes out they might do the same . And yeah the liveries is my favorite online feature in GT7.
Oh, right. Just buy the next game or piss off then lol.

Taycan77

It's a driving simulator with an online racing component.

Of course people will move onto the next edition when it's released. That's the nature of these titles where there are incremental improvements to the same core game.

All of the major GTS livery creators moved to GT7 and have created tens of thousands of new liveries. Many improved thanks to additional features in the livery creator. Plus new features to promote and recognise their work within the game.

It's always so strange seeing people who don't play GT (not aimed at you), and largely don't understand what the end-of-life plan is for GTS, rushing to condemn. Meanwhile, within the GTP community, you have a handful of posts and a shrug of the shoulders.

Would it be consumer friendly to keep online Sport mode playable for the foreseeable future. Yes. Is it going to be used by anyone other than a small number of players. No. It's the single-player aspect people are concerned with when it comes to preservation. And this will continue thanks to an offline patch.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

That wasn’t passionate and enthusiastic. If you’re saying fuck in every sentence you’ve got a problem
And what exactly is the problem doctor phil? Should I say fuck less to make you feel more comfortable on a gaming forum or maybe i should be like the rest of the sheep and go with the herd accepting all bullshit that our industry overlords serve as we're being robbed our rights as customers and fans with each passing year.

I'm coming from an age where shit like online play was available for free,not having to pay a monthly subscription to just play online,when mtx didn't fill the bulk of a game's package,where games didn't come broken on launch needing years to turn them into day 1 releases or some being left as the garbage they were even years later,where costumes were unlockables not paid skins that cost 1/4th of the game and yes where servers were maintained for more than an actual development time of a game nowadays.And they weren't asking for extra 10$ and increased subscription fees or take out the manuals from game cases or release 100$ digital deluxe editions that offer little to no worthwhile shit just to "cut costs and offer a better online experience" when that clearly aint the case.So I say fuck alot when I see stuff like this cuz it pisses me off as I love this industry and medium but hate what it has become.

So it's not us you should be bleating on little sheep,its your industry overlords.So next time they try to take your rights away,rights you had but forgot or maybe you're too young to know them,maybe when they try that next time you can tell them to fuck off like the rest of us do!

Last edited:

GTS was always a strictly online experience so it being shut down finally makes sense because not only was it alive for 6 years but everything that game had, its included in GT7. There really is no point for GTS anymore as the SPORT mode just got merged in the 7.

And what exactly is the problem doctor phil? Should I say fuck less to make you feel more comfortable on a gaming forum or maybe i should be like the rest of the sheep and go with the herd accepting all bullshit that our industry overlords serve as we're being robbed our rights as customers and fans with each passing year.

I'm coming from an age where shit like online play was available for free,not having to pay a monthly subscription to just play online,when mtx didn't fill the bulk of a game's package,where games didn't come broken on launch needing years to turn them into day 1 releases or some being left as the garbage they were even years later,where costumes were unlockables not paid skins that cost 1/4th of the game and yes where servers were maintained for more than an actual development time of a game nowadays.And they weren't asking for extra 10$ and increased subscription fees or take out the manuals from game cases or release 100$ digital deluxe editions that offer little to no worthwhile shit just to "cut costs and offer a better online experience" when that clearly aint the case.So I say fuck alot when I see stuff like this cuz it pisses me off as I love this industry and medium but hate what it has become.

So it's not us you should be bleating on little sheep,its your industry overlords.So next time they try to take your rights away,rights you had but forgot or maybe you're too young to know them,maybe when they try that next time you can tell them to fuck off like the rest of us do!
Maybe spend more time reading a thesaurus instead of having a coronary about polygons

Top Bottom