• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Like a Dragon: Yakuza’ Live Action Series Adaptation of Hit Sega Game Heading to Prime Video (EXCLUSIVE)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Streaming giant Prime Video will release “Like a Dragon,” a live-action series adaptation of the SEGA game franchise “Yakuza Like a Dragon.”

The six-part crime-suspense-action series is directed by Take Masaharu (“100 Yen Love”) and Takimoto Kengo (“Kamen Teacher”) and stars Takeuchi Ryoma (multiple “Kamen Rider” titles) as the lead character, Kiryu Kazuma.

It will upload to Prime Video in two batches of three episodes on Oct. 25 and Nov. 1, with subtitled and dubbed versions in 30 languages.

The series’ story is set in two time periods, 1995 and 2005, and follows the life, childhood friends and the repercussions of the decisions of a fearsome and peerless Yakuza warrior with a strong sense of justice, duty, and humanity. The screenplay and story are by Sean Crouch and Nakamura Yugo, with a Japanese screenplay by Yoshida Yasuhiro and Yamada Kana.

GPMrHQlXsAAqig9

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Eh, at least it’s being produced in Japan, so could be good. Could be bad of course as there were a ton of awful game adaptations.

But at least it shouldn’t be a show for “modern audiences”.

Geometric-Crusher

"Nintendo games are like indies, and worth at most $19" 🤡
Sega is expanding the brand, Like a Dragon was a niche game until yesterday, so people need to get used to Japanese faces again. This is very important for Sega.

tmlDan

LETS GOOOOO im so damn excited for this, its gonna be freaking hilarious even if its not high quality.

I loved Ryu Ga Gotoku: The Movie, as long as it makes it fun like that it'll be great

some of you need to enjoy life a bit more lol

Last edited:

Power Pro

If it pays the bills, it pays the bills... but I'm already sick of these fucking adaptations.
Totally...video games are video games for a reason imo. Even the very cinematic ones, like Like a Dragon, or Metal Gear...they work better as video games because there are still the parts that you play that are fun. There's the moments of levity that movies or shows wouldn't dare try to emulate. This is just not gonna appeal to me in slightest.

Reactions: Isa

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Totally...video games are video games for a reason imo. Even the very cinematic ones, like Like a Dragon, or Metal Gear...they work better as video games because there are still the parts that you play that are fun. There's the moments of levity that movies or shows wouldn't dare try to emulate. This is just not gonna appeal to me in slightest.

Especially in the case of Yakuza. These games were patterned after the yakuza movies of yore to try and bring that sort of thing into the world of gaming, so adapting the franchise to a movie nets you... just another yakuza movie. Is there really anything novel here?

Last edited:
Well made in Japan means we don’t have to be afraid about average looking actresses. Japan still gets it, I am reminded of that every time I turn my tv on here in Japan. Sure there are also average or ugly looking celebrities, but in usually in the most prominent roles in dramas etc they cast looks over talent.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
If it pays the bills, it pays the bills... but I'm already sick of these fucking adaptations.
Why would it bother you at all? You have no obligation to watch this or even acknowledge its existence.

This is just not gonna appeal to me in slightest.
Not everything is made for you.

Look at this piece of news about Fallout 4

This is very good. For the people who made the game, people who made the show, and people who enjoyed the show.

Last edited:

acidagfc

Recent Tokyo Vice from HBO was a very decent series that depicted a lot of yakuza themes. A lot of time it felt like a live action adaptation of Yakuza games.
The very first episode is also a real fucking CINEMA with Michael Mann being the director. It looks absolutely stunning.

If HBO managed to pull this off, then Amazon should too. Not sure if they can equally show both the serious parts of Yakuza games and the silly ones, but I'd be fine with just the serious parts.

80-90s Japan is a fascinating era, I want more movies\tv shows in this setting.

xrnzaaas

I don't have a lot of faith in this project, especially in recreating all the goofiness of the series. We'll see.

Chukhopops

So many great stories they could use, but I’m curious how they will balance the serious and not serious aspects of the Yakuza series.

It works well in a game but for a TV show they will have to pick one or the other.

We already got one, and it was okay.
M6B8Sxu.png
I love Miike but considering his movies were a big inspiration for the series this came out pretty disappointing. It's a bit like if Spielberg directed an Uncharted movie and it came out worse than Crystal Skull.

We're already off to a bad start. Nothing about this guy says hardened world weary badass Kiryu. I'm guessing they picked a teenybopper softie like him because a rising star who'll get the show attention.
There might be a Health Ledger Joker/ Pattinson Batman inside him but I'm not holding my breath. Take a look for yourself...

KrisB

Looking forward to watching it. Could be huge for the series if it gets the amount of attention that the Fallout adaption received.
More fans to enjoy this amazing series the better.

Can someone that wants this, please explain to me, what is the point of taking a game series, that:

1 - Uses Japanese movie actors and scan them for the game, in the Dragon Engine, which is as close to photo realistic as a game can get.

And 2 - Has long cutscenes paced exactly like a movie (And perfectly fuses those movie-like aspects, with fun arcadey gameplay)

And making a live-action series out of it?

This is just like the Last of Us series. There's no point in taking a game (TLOU) that is already trying too hard to be an Oscar bait movie, and making it live-action.

Say what you will about the Sonic and Mario movies, but at least they make fucking sense. Sonic and Mario games aren't in ANY way like movies. So making a movie adaptation, makes sense.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Can someone that wants this, please explain to me, what is the point of taking a game series, that:

1 - Uses Japanese movie actors and scan them for the game, in the Dragon Engine, which is as close to photo realistic as a game can get.

And 2 - Has long cutscenes paced exactly like a movie (And perfectly fuses those movie-like aspects, with fun arcadey gameplay)

This is just like the Last of Us series. There's no point in taking a game (TLOU) that is already trying too hard to be an Oscar bait movie, and making it live-action.

Say what you will about the Sonic and Mario movies, but at least they make fucking sense. Sonic and Mario games aren't in ANY way like movies. So making a movie adaptation, makes sense.

B_hYCKOUIAEBcd2.jpg

Kurotri

Out of nowhere. Pretty interested to see what they will cook up. But somehow I can't help but worry, why does it only have 6 episodes? Seems surprisingly low. I think adapting Yakuza to the big screen is definitely possible, so I'll go in with some reasonable expectations.

Maybe these just aren't for you? Fallout TV show came out and boosted game sales massively. The next game if lined up with the next season will be huge. The same thing with The Witcher series it boosted games sales. TLOU as well. This is being done to bring in more casuals to their games. It also lets these companies make more money off their IPs instead of just relying on game sales.

wvnative

Pretty sure I know the answer but just to be sure, is this just going to be performed in Japanese with sub/dub options or will the actors speak English?

Last edited:
Top Bottom