• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Planes, Trains & Automobiles’ Gets Paramount Pictures Remake With Will Smith & Kevin Hart Starring

Bullet Club

‘Planes, Trains & Automobiles’ Gets Paramount Pictures Remake With Will Smith & Kevin Hart Starring

Paramount Pictures has set a remake of the classic John Hughes 1987 road trip comedy Planes, Trains & Automobiles as a star vehicle for Will Smith and Kevin Hart. Hart’s Hartbeat Productions and Smith’s Westbrook Studios will produce. In her feature debut, Aeysha Carr will write the script. Her TV credits include Brooklyn 99 and the upcoming Hulu series Woke.

The original starred Steve Martin and John Candy as a mismatched duo forced to become bunkmates and traveling partners in a desperate attempt to get home to loved ones for Thanksgiving after their flights are canceled. A slew of holiday travel disasters follow, and they mix like water and oil. Hart and Smith produce with Westbrook Studios Co-President and Head of Motion Pictures Jon Mone and Hartbeat’s President of Film and Television Bryan Smiley.

The film seems like an ideal one for a new version from Paramount: it was very funny, but writer/director Hughes made it exceptionally touching considering the high concept road trip premise. He caught two superb physical comic actors at the peak of their powers. Here’s a refresher course if you don’t remember it:

Carr most recently executive produced the upcoming Hulu series Woke, which premieres in September starring New Girl’s Lamorne Morris and SNL‘s Sasheer Zamata. She wrote episodes and became a supervising producer on Brooklyn 99 and was a writer on Rel, The Carmichael Show, Mixology, Everybody Hates Chris, and My Wife and Kids.

Carr is repped by ICM Partners, 3 Arts Entertainment, and Goodman, Genow; Hart is repped by UTA, 3 Arts and Schreck Rose; Smith is repped by CAA

Source: Deadline

ZFi1Wpr.gif

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Heart and Smith can make a good combo but isnt it problematic that they are trying to get home for a racist holiday in thanksgiving?

I think they she rejig it and make it them trying to get home on Juneteenth or Kwanza.

Aesius

No way this works in a modern setting. Like at all. And jesus, Martin/Candy to Smith/Hart? Not even in the same league by any stretch.

Don't worry, I'm sure the writers will come up with some hilarious, evergreen jokes about Donald Trump and TikTok.

Liamario

Banned
Nobody asked for this and nobody will want it after it's released.

It's like an unwanted pregnancy and then the child is very ugly and intellectually inadequate.

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
So in the past week I've seen that Three Men and a Baby is getting a remake, Fresh Prince is getting a remake (as a drama no less), then this is getting a remake. I'm sure I've missed a few.

Why even bother getting into showbiz if all you're gonna do is make the same shit that's been done before but worse? And this will be worse. They're always worse.

How fucking boring.

What remakes are good? I am trying to think of some.

The Departed
Scarface (doubt this counts)
The Thing

I’m all out, yet they still try.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

I guess remaking films with women didn't quite work out for Hollywood so now they're moved on to black people. I can't wait til they move on to LGBT, you just know the LGBT remake of Terminator will be absolutely fabulous.

quickwhips

One of them will dress as a women. Some dick jokes. One will have an asian or white wife. A gay couple will tale them they are going the wrong way.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Coming in 2025, Legends of the Fall remake.
Starring Idris Elba, Terrence Howard and Jada Pinkett Smith Alsina.

This just seems unnecessary and stupid. I’m willing to bet Kevin Hart is a fan of Candy and Martin but this just makes no sense at all. This would be like having Seth Rogen and Jonah Hill doing a house party remake. Just dumb.

Shantae

Banned
They'll end up changing the bed cuddling scene to where they're not disgusted, but find that they have a strong attraction with each other, and the story will then shift to be about how one of them will explain to their wife they're going to bring home their new gay lover for Thanksgiving dinner.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I'd lose my shit... you don't dare fuck with perfection.

They aren't fucking with perfection, the original film still exists without edits.
Yeah, I agree this remake is pointless but it doesn't erase the original from history and I'll still check it out.

*EDIT*
I mean this for Planes, Trains and Automobiles and if they did a remake of Uncle Buck.

Last edited:

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I’m numb to this shit after finding out that the Rock is messing around with “Big Trouble in Little China”.

Top Bottom