• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Planes, Trains & Automobiles’ Gets Paramount Pictures Remake With Will Smith & Kevin Hart Starring

Woo-Fu

Banned
What's next, Gone with the Wind starring Cuba Gooding Jr.?
Cuba's in the process of getting #metoo'd, he'll probably never act again---though arguably he didn't do much acting to begin with.

As far as this movie goes it's going to be really hard to make the "those aren't pillows" joke work without a fat guy.

KaiserBecks

For some reason I misread Kevin Hart as Kevin James and thought....well, could be alright I suppose. Nobody can replace John Candy, but Kevin James I kind of could have pictured as Del Griffith.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Wasn’t Due Date with RDJ and Galifinakis basically a Planes, Trains remake?

Seemed like it. And it was awful. Just a truly terrible film. Missed the point entirely, both characters were utterly unlikable and it just tried to damn hard.

I expect this remake to be as bad, if not worse.

There's a lot of subtly in the character development of the original that's easy to overlook and I suspect will fly over the head of most modern directors for the sake of over used cheap over-expressive outbursts and shoe-horned jarring emotional takes. John Hughes was a fantastic writer and director who was top of his game when it came to mixing comedy and emotional story and character elements. We're not going to get anyone with that writing and directing ability on this cash-in.

Also, Martin and Candy fit their roles perfectly and brought a lot of their own personality to the characters. I remember Barry Norman (big film critic in the UK in his time) saying that if you ever wanted to see the real John Candy then watch the argument in the first hotel room from this film. Sad in a way.

Interesting fact. Steve Martin agreed to do the film after reading the scene where his character cursed out the clerk at the car rental stand. Later the studio wanted to take it out in order to get a lower age rating on the film but Martin stood his ground and insisted they keep it or he was out. Thus the film got that awesome scene and an adult rating.

Last edited:

Qwell

I'm not the biggest fan of remakes to begin with, but this one especially hits close to home. Plus IF they do it they really need to pay attention to the times to correct for the fact that there are cell phones, cash apps, uber and all kinds of stuff now that make it so the direct story of this movie doesn't exactly work in present day. Or they could do a throw back movie and actually place it back in the 80s ... actually that could be kind of fun perhaps?

Salz01

I think the human race is creatively bankrupt. Redo the same shit over and over again. Why can’t this group do something new? Because it’s hard and takes effort? Is Will Smith going to put on a few pounds to look like Candy?

Ornlu

Banned
They best stay the fuck away from uncle buck!
They'll remake Curly Sue before they bother remaking a movie about a rough-cut positive male role model that mocks suburbanite culture and teen counterculture at the same time without making Candy look like an ass or a boomer.
I'd lose my shit... you don't dare fuck with perfection.

Coming to a theater near you this fall; Uncle Cuck !

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
There is absolutely no good reason to do this. It’s not like the original is in any way inaccessible to a modern audience, it still holds up. Two of the greatest comic actors (I love John Candy - the man was a fucking legend) coming together to make something wonderful. And as others have said, they better not touch Uncle Buck.

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
They best stay the fuck away from uncle buck!

WhvfVnh.jpg

Too late

Top Bottom