• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Red Dead Redemption 2’ screenshot wins Virtual Photographer Of The Year

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Red-dead-redemption-2-rockstar-joe-Meizies@2000x1270-1392x884.jpg

During London Games Festival, a Red Dead Redemption 2 screenshot won a competition promoting the art of virtual photography.

The winning entry was submitted by Joe Meizies and featured a silhouetted figure on horseback. All entries were displayed around Trafalgar Square as part of the London Games Festival, which ends on April 10.

The competition was supported by Nvidia Studio and The Fourth Focus, with the latter providing the judging for the content. All entries submitted to the contest have been made available in a Google Drive folder, including other shots from Red Dead Redemption 2, Horizon Forbidden West, and The Last Of Us Part 2.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I didn't even know this was a thing.

Imagine being a professional photographer risking their lives for some photographs while seeing some fat fifteen year old basement dweller getting an award for some game using a fucking screenshot button while having dorito crumbles all over his chin and bed.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

Imagine being a professional photographer risking their lives for some photographs while seeing some fat fifteen year old basement dweller getting an award for some game using a fucking screenshot button while having dorito crumbles all over his chin and bed.

Why would a professional photographer care about ANY of this?

. . .you also didn't bother reading the original post.

Hugare

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

I'm sure some National Geographic photographer wont sleep tonight because some dude won a screenshot competition

Slow down a bit, honey

Hd Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Jokes aside, that's a great shot. I've actually been replaying RDR2 all week now that I have a new gpu, and the game is simply stunning still. The issue I had with controls on the one X is entirely fixed and having access to some pretty sweet mods has made replaying really fun too.

One of the best open worlds ever made. Some of the screenshots I've seen here on GAF in the past have been incredible.

vpance

Some of them look heavily photo shopped. Guess there was no rule against that. Most are very meh though.

nemiroff

Gold Member
LOL, why the fuck did they crop the image before posting it in the article, makes no sense to me..

Here's how it actually looks (I resized it, and via imgur, so it's obviously no longer the original quality)

GvVP6xZ.jpg

The best pic won IMO, but there wasn't exactly a lot of entries it seems like..

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Hd Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Jokes aside, that's a great shot. I've actually been replaying RDR2 all week now that I have a new gpu, and the game is simply stunning still. The issue I had with controls on the one X is entirely fixed and having access to some pretty sweet mods has made replaying really fun too.

One of the best open worlds ever made. Some of the screenshots I've seen here on GAF in the past have been incredible.
I'll never be to not laugh when I see that gif. Loved night court

Weird, most of them are shit, including the winning pic.
Edit: These are better than the winning one imo:

So beautiful!

From that screenshoot in op I've got an impression that someone is trying to make RDR2 look bad. No joke.

0-RDR2-2021-09-19-23-39-37-604.png

0-RDR2-2021-09-19-23-39-37-611.png

0-RDR2-2021-09-19-23-39-37-609.png

Only have to open any of screenshot threads on this site and you'll find so many much nicer ones.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So beautiful!

From that screenshoot in op I've got an impression that someone is trying to make RDR2 look bad. No joke.

Only have to open any of screenshot threads on this site and you'll find so many much nicer ones.
These are just normal gameplay screenshots.
I think for "digital photography" stuff like this is more in line. Sadly, tlou2 are only my old ps4 slim screenshots.... I need to replay and take some new shots on ps5.
I am sparing all of you guys by not posting my gta 4 and Fuel screenshots. Most photogenic games ever :p

PeQr6LX.jpg

ZXx6FmO.jpg
97I01TR.png

pemsgEg.png

It's not about fidelity. I have over 1500 screenshots. You can take great picture in an old game like my fav Fuel!
lYJeypK.jpg

OPqbvCE.jpg

Last edited:
MightySquirrel MightySquirrel while those are good gameplay shots showing the technical marvel of the game's graphics, they aren't artistic. There is a distinct difference here, from the angle of the shots to what the subject matter of the shot is. There are better shots in that thread to use as examples.
I agree, but it's easily to find better shots from one of the GAFs screnshot threads where the iq is not so poor as in op, yet still with great composition or as you call artistic.

So beautiful!

These three screenshots lack anything of artistic value though. It's a handful of haphazardly taken screenshots with zero thought given to typical photographic compositional rules. The graphics look fine or whatever but they just look like acreenshots you'd find in a typical Xbox vs PlayStation graphics comparison thread or something.

These three screenshots lack anything of artistic value though. It's a handful of haphazardly taken screenshots with zero thought given to typical photographic compositional rules. The graphics look fine or whatever but they just look like acreenshots you'd find in a typical Xbox vs PlayStation graphics comparison thread or something.
Would this look better to you?

RDR2-2022-04-10-01-58-03-458.png

RDR2-2022-04-10-02-00-21-695.png

RDR2-2022-04-10-01-45-25-564.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom