• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Good Games That Flopped in Sales How do you feel about this list?

Gobjuduck

Banned
Prey filters players hard, even me. I think many go in expecting an amazing story, and you feel cheated out on that.

First time I played it, I would probably give it a 7/10. My Second playthrough a year later id give it a 9. After my third, I’d say it’s a near perfect game. I even grew to like the story, because it’s so fitting for what the game is.

LostDonkey

Prey filters players hard, even me. I think many go in expecting an amazing story, and you feel cheated out on that.

First time I played it, I would probably give it a 7/10. My Second playthrough a year later id give it a 9. After my third, I’d say it’s a near perfect game. I even grew to like the story, because it’s so fitting for what the game is.
Many go in expecting that because it's constantly rammed down our throats that the developers are some god tier can't be touched amazing game makers, with incredible story writing and mind blowing AI enemies etc when in actual fact they're very average.

oji-san

Banned
I liked 3 games from this list, Prey, Enslaved and Sunset Overdrive, would very much want another Prey or Sunset Overdrive.

I don't really care. The only one I kinda care about is Pillars of Eternity. I hope Obsidian goes back to games like Pillars/Tyranny (as in CRPGs) but I doubt Microsoft will let them. Instead they are putting out rubbish like Grounded/The Outer Worlds and Avowed interested me at first but then that recent trailer.... I know it's set in the Pillars world but :messenger_fearful:

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The evil within 2 has a legitimate plot, the mental hospital, stem, the nightmare realm etc. I’d consider THE EVIL WITHIN 3.

Shut0wen

I don't really care. The only one I kinda care about is Pillars of Eternity. I hope Obsidian goes back to games like Pillars/Tyranny (as in CRPGs) but I doubt Microsoft will let them. Instead they are putting out rubbish like Grounded/The Outer Worlds and Avowed interested me at first but then that recent trailer.... I know it's set in the Pillars world but :messenger_fearful:
MS problem is that they have to much freedom, thats why we got grounded, i cant say if its good or bad because its not my type of game but there point and click game was decent, though i hope they do go back to crpgs i highly doubt it since pillars was made on budget

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Prey was Zenimax's and Arkane's own fault, it was released literally only 2 months after Dishonored 2 was finally in a playable state after a 2nd patch on a terrible PC port, Harvey Smith had to publicly apologise for it, we know now you release a broken game, you get a bad reputation, Prey is a great game as well. but consumers were put off spending money on it, i was.

Last edited:

Fbh

10. Blur
Was pretty fun but I get why it didn't sell more. People hardly care about Kart racers if they aren't called Mario Kart, take away the wacky tracks and eye catching visuals and it gets even harder for anyone to care.
9. The Evil Within 2
Never played
8. Mario and Rabbids: Sparks of Hope
Never played, bought the first one and enjoyed it but also felt like I had my fill with it and didn't really need more
7. Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Never played
6. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
Was ok, interesting premise but neither the gameplay nor story were particularly good.
5. Gravity Rush 2
While I enjoyed it I found it a tad disappointing. It still suffers from many of the issues of the original (like bad sidequests) and all the story buildup they did in the first game basically goes ignored until the final act where it feels rushed.
4. Sunset Overdrive
It scratches a similar itch as Ratchet with the fun and wacky weapons, but it tried too hard to be funny
3. Vampire the Masquerade
Never played
2. The Wonderful 101
Best game ever
1. Prey
Great game that really deserved to sell more. Though some of the backtracking towards the end got a bit annoying.

Last edited:
7. Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

This was the Baldur's Gate 2 spiritual sequel that I always wanted.
Too bad it didn't sell. It was really old school game with modern quality of life features.

Gobjuduck

Banned
Many go in expecting that because it's constantly rammed down our throats that the developers are some god tier can't be touched amazing game makers, with incredible story writing and mind blowing AI enemies etc when in actual fact they're very average.
No one has ever praised their AI or writing, to that extent. This seems like weird bullshit you made up.

People praise their level design and environmental story telling. I think they are top class in those fields.

Prey is far above average, this feels like redfall leaked into your point.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member

Your path to appreciating this game aligns exactly with mine. It's like with Dark Souls where I had to re-learn how to play the game to meet it on its level.

How about great games that flopped and left us with a cliffhanger?

System Shock 2, Anachronox, Freespace 2

Also all of Arkane's games prior to Redfall deserve to be commercially successful, them flopping probably lead to Redfall being made.
Split/second, comes to mind!

Top Bottom