• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

13 minutes of exclusive XsX Scorn gameplay (4K)

Mister Wolf

I like that they have gone the no UI route. Makes it more immersive. That organ thing he carries shows all of your ammo and heals. The reload station for it is pretty cool too. lots of things moving and wiggling in the environment including your weapon.

Mister Wolf

It looks good if it's really running at 4k60. Definitely impressive.

Actual fidelity wise, come on, it's not close to something like Ratchet or Demon's Souls. And nor should it, those games are 30fps and huge AAA projects.

I've seen everything you've seen. The environments in those games especially Demons Souls do not look better than this and certainly not more detailed.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

I've seen everything you've seen. The environments in those games especially Demons Souls do no look better than this and certainly not more detailed.

It does look good to be fair. I still don't think it's up there with those games (especially Ratchet, which is just ridiculous fidelity in way bigger environments than in this game) but like I said, if it's really 4k60 then it's very impressive.

oldergamer

Why Microsoft and why Xbox Series X exclusivity?

The authenticity of the game and being able to develop it as we conceptualized it is the highest priority. Before deciding to partner with Microsoft we made sure that they will not have any influence over the game's concept and development process. They were more than cooperative in that regard. The only thing they were interested in was exclusivity rights. Once all that was agreed upon it was a no brainer decision when you look at all the benefits Scorn will get from this partnership, from additional resources to much bigger exposure(marketing). It will certainly help us make Scorn a better, polished game in the end.
That link pretty much confirms what i thought. They struggled to make this game early on. Money and showing it too early was a huge issue for them. Despite that, showing it early was the only way they could get funds.

Anyway im seeing replies in this thread that contradict each other. Some people think it lost the vibe it had early on. And some think its better now then before, some people think it lacks gameplay, some people think its shit, some people are interested, some think it looks generic, some think visually its more impressive then other next gen games.

Lets be clear. This game is something that nobody really has the full picture of what its about. Does it have a story, what is the goal, what hasn't been shown? So almost everyone in this thread is jumping to conclusions

I think getting to try this out via gamepass and not having to pay full price makes this much more interesting. Keeping in mind its an indie title and not meant to compete with halo of doom or other fast paced fps games. For all we know its more of a puzzle or dungeon game then it is first person shooter.

Gravemind

Looks good. Excited to see it with some story context behind it.

Will definitely be playing this on gamepass when it comes out.

Mister Wolf

That link pretty much confirms what i thought. They struggled to make this game early on. Money and showing it too early was a huge issue for them. Despite that, showing it early was the only way they could get funds.

Anyway im seeing replies in this thread that contradict each other. Some people think it lost the vibe it had early on. And some think its better now then before, some people think it lacks gameplay, some people think its shit, some people are interested, some think it looks generic, some think visually its more impressive then other next gen games.

Lets be clear. This game is something that nobody really has the full picture of what its about. Does it have a story, what is the goal, what hasn't been shown? So almost everyone in this thread is jumping to conclusions

I think getting to try this out via gamepass and not having to pay full price makes this much more interesting. Keeping in mind its an indie title and not meant to compete with halo of doom or other fast paced fps games. For all we know its more of a puzzle or dungeon game then it is first person shooter.

I understand what it is. A methodical shooter that's also a metroidvania with backtracking. People thinking/expecting Doom ,Wolfenstein. and Halo when they should be thinking RE7 and most likely RE8 or taking it way back with System Shock. We already got Doom, I don't need this game to play like it too. They seem the care a lot about immersion. No UI and no reticle unless you have the weapon at the ready. You can check your ammo count, but you have to crack it open(like a lobster) and look for yourself. I really like the look of the "shotgun" attachment.

Last edited:
I wouldn't play this even if it was free. DO SOMETHING !!! don't just look around.
what's the point of the gun if you're not gonna use it.
next time Xbox fans say Sony makes only walking simulators I'll just say Scorn.
what a waste of good looking atmosphere

Looking forward to seeing more of this game. I'm a fan of the Giger art.

Hope the camera isn't forced to turn that slowly, even playing with a controller it would get annoying waiting to change direction like this. With a mouse and keyboard just forget it.

I think they were just trying to really show off the detail and work they've put into the art.

Neolombax

It looks disgusting....in a good way? The environment looks repetitive, even along corridors of the same level. I'm interested solely based on the art direction, not the gameplay.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I wouldn't play this even if it was free. DO SOMETHING !!! don't just look around.
what's the point of the gun if you're not gonna use it.
next time Xbox fans say Sony makes only walking simulators I'll just say Scorn.
what a waste of good looking atmosphere
This isn't a first party game lol

SoraNoKuni

Looks good art wise but repetitive, it almost feels like it's randomly generated.

It's an indie game with no production values but I hope it turns out good, a lot of times Passion and hard work can make something great.

Njocky

Banned
Very atmospheric and immersive. Like a slow paced Doom meets Alien.
a lot of frustrated trolls in the thread. It might come to all consoles so no need.

Pinktaco

Probably best not to judge a whole game on 14mins of footage, footage from the start of the game apparently.

My post was partly in regards to the long development, for an indie team.
Whether the theme holds up, for what I assume is a full game, we will have to see :)

This is a good example of a genuine benefit of Gamepass. Compare this (bare with me here) to Death Stranding. Walking simulator, check. Weird atmospheric shit going on, check. Very nice graphically, check. While the themes and art styles are obviously miles apart, they've got these things in common. But one is made by Kojimbo, the other is made by...? One is a big Playstation exclusive with fucktonnes of marketing, the other is effectively a slick indy. The point I'm trying to make is that really weird shit like this doesn't see the light of day without something like Gamepass. It removes the majority of the financial risk for the dev and it adds a bit of spice and variety for Xbox to add to their catalogue. Do I or anyone else expect this to have the same success critically or financially as Death Stranding? Of course not, but again, that's not my point nor is it for me to worry about. Let MS crunch the numbers; if I get more breadth to the variety of games I can play, and I get an opportunity to try something this strange whereas I'd otherwise be hesitant to slap down $60+ to get the chance then that's only a good thing.

Personal opinion re: the game itself, art style is cool and it drips atmosphere. Does the gameplay look a bit slow? Yeah, but then again so did Godfall and I'm giving that one the benefit of the doubt too. The grenade launcher thing looked pretty sweet and I'm interested to see what more enemy variety there is.

Bartski

Gold Member
lol @ I don't get what's it's about comments. How about that's maybe the whole point for you to discover, instead of having it all laid out for you. It's not COD. It's not Doom either and that's it's exactly why it looks different and interesting, if you're into bunny hopping and rocket jumps you can find plenty of those elsewhere.

Sw0pDiller

had the feeling the framerate could not keep up with the camera turning. And those camera movenment where very slow and dull. Better scale that shit back to 1440p and get a stable 30. nice lookting wordlt though but i reckon it will get boring real fast. gamepass for ya

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Looks dull as shit not to mention graphically average. Lighting is especially average with NPCs not casting any kind of shadows.

Alienware

Art design looks very good (as it did in the past) and also polished. Not too convinced about the gameplay loop. Guess I'll give it a go on PC when it comes out, if anything just for the atmosphere.

turtlepowa

Banned
I really want to know how man of those "looks average/like shit" guys acutally watched this on a decent 4k tv instead of some 300 bucks trash tv or 60 bucks 1080 monitor. Also this is compressed Youtube material.

Last edited:
I really want to know how man of those "looks average/like shit" guys acutally watched this on a decent 4k tv instead of some 300 bucks trash tv or 60 bucks 1080 monitor. Also this is compressed Youtube material.

I watched on a 1080p monitor, cost me over 200 (back in 2013 or maybe 2011 even?) but the art is gorgeous for it, love me some Giger stuff, I do agree with others that I hope the art features some variety, though, like how in Alien only certain segments of the Nostromo looked scary.

Top Bottom