• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1440p is overrated by people who can't go up to 4k

Guwop

Neo Member
Post a link and I'll tell you why I'm not considering it
I don't need to post a link. You can simply go to Amazon or Newegg choose one of the many that are available. Then you post one and tell me ( I really don't care why you wouldn't consider it ) why you wouldn't consider it?

Yo
So if you know how upscaling works, then why were you whining about 1440p picture quality when upscaled to 4K, when you should know the same picture would look totally different on 2560x1440 monitor.

I think people who bought high end GPUs are still happy with 1440p. They dont need to relay imperfect DLSS/FSR so much in RT games, and they can downsample from much higher resolutions making even TAA games look extremely sharp, and something like 144-240Hz also requires a lot of GPU power (and not to mention new games will require even more faster GPUs). Also the vast majority of content will look better on 1440p display, simply because lower resolution hide imperfections and things like lower texture quality.

If you cant see pixel structure from the place you are sitting, then you are not benefiting in any way from having higher pixel density. Look at your 4K display and see from what distance you can see the pixel structure, and you will know how far you must sit in order to see 4K. Dude, the visual acuity calculator is based on science, and I doubt you would see pixel structure on 4K TV from normal viewing distance, therefore you are not benefiting from having 4K tv.
You're going an awful long way to justify some really stupid purchasing decisions (yours or others'). How many people outside of this thread of contrarians would advise buying a 4080/4090 if all you plan to do is 1440p gaming? Like two. Whether I can see the pixel grid if I squint from my viewing distance is irrelevant if switching from 1440p to 1800p to 4k reveals an increase in visual fidelity with each step. You're doing an appeal to authority to make a BS argument that any reasonable person with two eyes can disprove in 5 seconds

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I don't need to post a link. You can simply go to Amazon or Newegg choose one of the many that are available. Then you post one and tell me ( I really don't care why you wouldn't consider it ) why you wouldn't consider it?
Most if not all 4k monitors for around 300 dollars are 60hz

ExcellentWearyCurassow-size_restricted.gif

I'd be looking for something more like this one here

Last edited:

JakeWolf

My laptop has a 1080p 165hz screen with a 3080ti w/ 32gb ram and I absolutely love it. Nothing to be ashamed of. Sometimes I use it with my curved 1440p widescreen, but im usually fine with 1080p on it.

I can't imagine what 165fps looks like but man 144fps is smooth, I'm having trouble going back to 60fps now.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Pffft I will only play PC games at panoramic 16K in VR 3.0 with full sensation body suit.

On a serious note, my 4K monitor broke and is being serviced, so I had to hook up my old 1440p 75Hz monitor in the meantime and yea, the downgrade in games is very noticeable in recent AAA releases. It's not a game breaker, I wouldn't decide not to play a game just because I could only run it at 1440p, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I'd choose 4K every single time if I had the choice.

daveonezero

Banned
Resolution is overrated when every game engine is using some form of blurry temporal upscaling which you can't even disable on consoles.
Right most of these 4K console games are only reaching that resolution from some trickery. That is why it is so expensive to run UHD on a PC.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
My games look fantastic on my 27 " 1440p monitor, sometimes better than my 55"4k TV (depending on the game tbh). Probably because of the higher PPI.

It's not always that clear cut with higher resolution screens.
Pretty much.
Everyone is ignoring the DPI.

People dont get 1440p monitors at much larger than 32".
And even then 32" is prertty much where you start thinking about 4K.

A 27" 4K panel is waste in my eyes.
Especially considering youll likely end up using Windows Scaling to get it up to the equivalent of 1440p anyway.

Yo

You're going an awful long way to justify some really stupid purchasing decisions (yours or others'). How many people outside of this thread of contrarians would advise buying a 4080/4090 if all you plan to do is 1440p gaming? Like two. Whether I can see the pixel grid if I squint from my viewing distance is irrelevant if switching from 1440p to 1800p to 4k reveals an increase in visual fidelity with each step. You're doing an appeal to authority to make a BS argument that any reasonable person with two eyes can disprove in 5 seconds
Measuring visual acuity isn't some BS argument. It's based on science. On top of that you can easily check for yourself the distance at which your eyes will no longer see the pixel structure. Of course, this argument quickly shows that the whole 4K craze is just clever marketing, so I'm not surprised that you dont like this argument :).

Going from 1440p to higher resolutions will improve the picture quality (fine details, aliasing / shimmering), so I dont disagree with you on that. I'm just saying this improvement has nothing to do with pixel density, but the poor quality of upscaling and content you are displaying. Upscaling ruins the picture quality, and TAA ruins it also. That's why 4K resolution makes a big differene even if you will still use some old 1080p display.

Linus even made a very interesting video about this whole 4K resolution discussion. People in his video had troubles to tell the difference even from up close when 1440p wasnt ruined by upscaling, and if he would run downscaled 6K on on 2560x1440 monitor I'm sure some people would even tell that this picture looks better to them than 2160p with crappy TAA on 4K monitor.

Last edited:
That's what "sweet spot" means, if 4K was free on GPU cost, all of us would go 4K "just because" even when not getting the benefits due to screen size and pixel density... It's not free though, we have to find a balance between performance and IQ, and too be fair, 30 fps look ugly as fuck to many of us so 4K at 30 fps isn't even an option.
Yea and remember 720p and 1080p used to be just like this. It wasn't till 2010 that 1080p became acceptable for lower budget gamers with the GTX 460.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Yea and remember 720p and 1080p used to be just like this. It wasn't till 2010 that 1080p became acceptable for lower budget gamers with the GTX 460.
The thing with 720p/768p and 1080p.
Is the panels were effectively the same size.
So due to DPI it was easy to see the difference between the two resolutions.

Hell i actually never used a 720p panel cuz I went straight to 1440x900 on a 19" panel, so even 1080p didnt look that great cuz I was using a 32" panel. (Actually much worse DPI)

With 1440p and 2160p.
People get 2160p panels at or above 43 inches where yes, you will notice the lower DPI of a 1440p panel that size.

But if you are using a 27" 1440p panel vs a 42" 2160p panel, the DPI is actually really close, you would be hard pressed to say which panel looks better.

Its really down to how big your panel is.
If you are using a sub 34" Panel 1440p will be well sufficient.
If you are going above 43" then straight up jump on 4K or higher.
Good luck pushing those pixels but do you.

Ziggs

Neo Member
Had a very nice 4k monitor, 165hz and went down to 1440 ultra wide. Good riddance, it's a waste of resources and there's no noticeable difference.

Boneless

1440p is overrated by people who can't go up to 4k

Going from 1080p to 1440p is a 78% increase

While going from 1080p to 4k is a whopping 400% increase

People feel compelled to defend 1440p and call it "the sweet spot", but there's nothing sweet about it, you're just getting scammed into believing you should invest in such resolution increase only to make you believe you made a wise decision in your investment

4k is the real deal, is the real upgrade, and now it's more accessible than ever with the powerful GPUs available in the markets and technologies like DLSS to not compromise 60fps

Also, you can still play games at lower res on 4k hardware if you need to.

What made you think that a 78% increase in resolution is better than a 400% increase? What made you believe that 78% is worth it but not 400%?
They're just making you believe you're the smart one buying another monitor/TV in between the real upgrades, charging you for old cheap tech while you're going "oh yeah I'm really smart in not falling for that 4k stuff that's just a waste of resources hurr durr"

#FACTS

4K is 3840*2160 = 8294400 pixels
1440p is 3440*1440 = 4953600 pixels

This means that 4K has about 67% more pixels than 1440p

On most monitor screens, 4K will probably not be worth the cost in performance, as high FPS is more important for better gameplay feel than high resolution.

Last edited:
I mean technically you are right but let me know when I can 120FPS at 4k without spending my daughter's college fund.

Last edited:
Measuring visual acuity isn't some BS argument. It's based on science. On top of that you can easily check for yourself the distance at which your eyes will no longer see the pixel structure. Of course, this argument quickly shows that the whole 4K craze is just clever marketing, so I'm not surprised that you dont like this argument :).

Going from 1440p to higher resolutions will improve the picture quality (fine details, aliasing / shimmering), so I dont disagree with you on that. I'm just saying this improvement has nothing to do with pixel density, but the poor quality of upscaling and content you are displaying. Upscaling ruins the picture quality, and TAA ruins it also. That's why 4K resolution makes a big differene even if you will still use some old 1080p display.

Linus even made a very interesting video about this whole 4K resolution discussion. People in his video had troubles to tell the difference even from up close when 1440p wasnt ruined by upscaling, and if he would run downscaled 6K on on 2560x1440 monitor I'm sure some people would even tell that this picture looks better to them than 2160p with crappy TAA on 4K monitor.

Tell me you're a casual without telling me you're a casual

ClosBSAS

Of course some games will run, but not all of them, not even close. But that's not the point, 4K is overrated and a waste or resources in many cases.
Yes..that we can agree fully. 1440p 60fps is the sweet spot for consoles. 1440p 165fps and above for PC.

I went from 24" 1920x1200 to 27" 2560x1440 and love what it did for my desktop space. I can keep my desktop at 100% scaling and I have a TON more room compared to 1080/1200 vertical lines. That said, I'd probably love a 32" 3840x2160 monitor too if it's usable at 100% display scaling. If font is just too small to read at that size, well then 1440p IS the sweet spot for desktop usage. I refuse to use any of those awful system wide scaling tools like Windows DPI awareness, it just bugs out games and makes some applications look weird. 100% or bust. I'm holding out for a 4k 144hz+ MiniLED G-Sync Ultimate display with at least 5,000 dimming zones or more (preferrable 10k as that's where bloom size starts to be a non-issue for general content.) If that day comes and I find out I can't use all that screen real estate for my desktop, I'm going to be so disappointed.

Tell me you're a casual without telling me you're a casual
I absolutely hate people like you. Facts means nothing to you, and once people destroy your arguments all you can do is behave like a kid. Keep believing 4K marketing and TV manufacturers, because they sure know what's the best for you.

The thing with 720p/768p and 1080p.
Is the panels were effectively the same size.
So due to DPI it was easy to see the difference between the two resolutions.

Hell i actually never used a 720p panel cuz I went straight to 1440x900 on a 19" panel, so even 1080p didnt look that great cuz I was using a 32" panel. (Actually much worse DPI)

With 1440p and 2160p.
People get 2160p panels at or above 43 inches where yes, you will notice the lower DPI of a 1440p panel that size.

But if you are using a 27" 1440p panel vs a 42" 2160p panel, the DPI is actually really close, you would be hard pressed to say which panel looks better.

Its really down to how big your panel is.
If you are using a sub 34" Panel 1440p will be well sufficient.
If you are going above 43" then straight up jump on 4K or higher.
Good luck pushing those pixels but do you.
It's ridiculous when you have to explain something so simple to people, because it's all common sense.

Last edited:

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
*looks at 7900xtx that barely fits my case*

Yea, I some how doubt I will struggle to run at 4k. Still going to stay with 1440p.

Last edited:
Well shit, if linus say so it must be right...
I cant twist your post and say keep believing TV manufacturers marketing, because if they say so it must be right.

Linus video video is very good, but not simply because he is a well-known figure in the PC tech world. He explained what's the limits of human vision like a real expert should, and made a blind test for people that really shows these limits very well. His video would be even better if he'd included another 1440p display to test., just with downsampled 6K instead of running just 1440p native. I'm sure people would think such 2560x1440p monitor displaying 6K has better picture than 4K monitor displaying native 4K with soft TAA.

An extremely high pixel density that exceeds the limits of human vision makes no sense, BUT running games at higher resolutions is well worth it, because even standard 1920x1080 display will show A LOT more detailed picture if run the game at 4K instead of 1080p native with blurry TAA (there will be less shimmering, edge outlines look more sharp, and fine details on the textures pop way more).

Last edited:

GymWolf

I cant twist your post and say keep believing TV manufacturers marketing, because if they say so it must be right.

Linus video video is very good, but not simply because he is a well-known figure in the PC tech world. He explained what's the limits of human vision like a real expert should, and made a blind test for people that really shows these limits very well. His video would be even better if he'd included another 1440p display to test., just with downsampled 6K instead of running just 1440p native. I'm sure people would think such monitor has better pciture than 4K monitor displaying native 4K with soft TAA.

An extremely high pixel density that exceeds the limits of human vision makes no sense, BUT running games at higher resolutions is well worth it, because even standard 1920x1080 display will show A LOT more detailed picture if run the game at 4K instead of 1080p native with blurry TAA (there will be less shimmering, edge outlines look more sharp, and fine details on the textures pop way more).
Well i know what i see with my eyes going from years of 1440p to recently 4k.

Some people can't notice the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps it's all i'm going to say, it doesn't work the same for everyone, i have eagle eyes after doing the lasik surgery many years ago, my eyesight is 14\10 (24\20 for americans i guess) so i clearly see the difference between 4k and 1440p.

Reactions: Rea
Fun Fact: Most games I play at 1440p on my 165 Hz monitor are at max settings using the native resolution. Most games I play on my PS5 and Xbox Series X on my 55" 4K TV are rendered at a much lower resolution than 4K, in some cases lower than 1440p!

I am fine with both, honestly.

I do feel though that 4K is a bit overrated for both movies and games and it is the use of HDR that impresses me most rather than the higher pixel count. On my PC, 1440p is the sweet spot between framerate and graphical settings, allowing me to play games, even with RT and DLSS maxed out at 60-120 fps. If I had a 4K monitor then I would have to compromise either the settings or the framerate in order to enjoy visuals at the same settings. Well, unless I upgrade my PC again that is. I am sat just a foot away from my 27" monitor and, honestly, the image looks far sharper and clearer than any games do on my 4K OLED TV where I am sat much further away from the screen.

So for me 4K is way overrated.

Last edited:
Well i know what i see with my eyes going from years of 1440p to recently 4k.

Some people can't notice the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps it's all i'm going to say, it doesn't work the same for everyone, i have eagle eyes after doing the lasik surgery many years ago, my eyesight is 14\10 (24\20 for americans i guess) so i clearly see the difference between 4k and 1440p.
I'm not sayin' your eyes are deceivin' you :). Your impressions are correct, because 4K and higher resolution will look better compared to something like 1440p, but not because of higer pixel density. Game running at higher resolution will always have less shimmering and a lot more fine details, and it's especially noticeable if game will use crappy TAA that blurs everything. Do yourself a favour and have a look at how far away you can see the structure of the pixels on your 4K monitor, and then compare it to the distance from which you are normaly using your 4K display. Keep in mind, if you no longer see the pixel structure, it simply means your eyes blur the details.

4K display makes sense if you are using either very big display, or sit very close to it. Something like a 4K 42'inch TV on your desk instead of a small PC monitor will show the benefits of higher pixel density.

Last edited:
Lots of nonsense math in this thread.... here's the real maths ya weridos. I made a graph:

Q68dKQh.png

There ya go, all ya gotta do is follow the line to your resolution and it'll tell ya what kinda frames you should be looking for.

The start of the line is 240p at 60fps. That's not the perfect start point but I'll call it good enough. We all know 60fps is the minimum viable standard. For the people who don't actually play video games and think 30fps is somehow okay, it doesn't change the chart that much. And the minimum viable resolution is really like 320x200 as all my DOS (and similar) bros know. But they'd also throw in some 320x240... and it was all meant for your 4:3 display, which we're ignoring here and just rolling with the hypothetical 16:9 equivalent...

You might also be thinking "it's not about the Ps bro, it's about muh pixel count". Nope, not true. If anything it's the square root of your pixel count... which is a bit different than just going linear with all the Ps. But the Ps are close enough, and it's how dumdums talk about resolution anyway. If you want the perfect math for this line, I'm going to leave it as an exercise to the reader. That's for your own good, your brain needs some exercise after looking at the drivel that is the rest of this thread.

So the high end of the chart is set to the absurd side of the spectrum. Your 480hz monitors. And your 8k displays. Notice how 480hz and 8k don't exist in the same real world consumer screen. That means they're not sensible solutions, you're selling out one to get the other. When a monitor has both of those features at the same time, that's when the monitor becomes a sensible solution assuming your hardware can drive it at those levels.

So you don't want to squint to figure out what FPS you want at your current resolution? Well I'm your huckleberry! I'm such a good guy, here's the ballpark targets per common-ish resolution:

720p - 120fps
1080p - 151fps
1440p - 190fps
2160p(4k) - 268fps

What's that you ask? What's my Venmo? Do I have a GoFundMe? Nah fam... this shit is from the kindness of my heart. Just pay it forward. And put the OP on Ignore for your sanity.

zeroluck

4K is useful for text, for games I swear 5k downsampled to 1440p on my 1440p monitor looks better than my 4k monitor. High render resolution is not overrated, high display resolution is overrated. The reason 1440p render resolution looks like shit is because games tie textures/objects LOD to resolution to minimize aliasing.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I have my PC hooked up to a 32 inch 1440p monitor and a 55 inch LG CX

4k is definitely better for graphic showcase games. If I’m playing Stardew or Civ or something Id rather use the monitor.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I'd rather have 1440p and save the extra resources for other graphic settings. 4K is nice, but not with the requirements.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I think 1440p is cute for gamers playing on a peasant size monitor. For us big boy gamers playing on 65” and up tv’s, 4k is the way to go.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I'm not sayin' your eyes are deceivin' you :). Your impressions are correct, because 4K and higher resolution will look better compared to something like 1440p, but not because of higer pixel density. Game running at higher resolution will always have less shimmering and a lot more fine details, and it's especially noticeable if game will use crappy TAA that blurs everything. Do yourself a favour and have a look at how far away you can see the structure of the pixels on your 4K monitor, and then compare it to the distance from which you are normaly using your 4K display. Keep in mind, if you no longer see the pixel structure, it simply means your eyes blur the details.

4K display makes sense if you are using either very big display, or sit very close to it. Something like a 4K 42'inch TV on your desk instead of a small PC monitor will show the benefits of higher pixel density.
I do both:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Mercador

I would love to play at 4K on my 65" but my 1070 can't do it. As far as I see, I must go at least to a 4070TI to get a 4K@60 with current titles. For me, the GPU prices are too high but I'm still hoping for 4070 (not ti). I wish they were also 16gb of VRAM.

I absolutely hate people like you. Facts means nothing to you, and once people destroy your arguments all you can do is behave like a kid. Keep believing 4K marketing and TV manufacturers, because they sure know what's the best for you.

It's ridiculous when you have to explain something so simple to people, because it's all common sense.
Bro, you're virtually blind. I can't help your reliance on bogus charts and casual 'testing'. It's not marketing to say a 42-48 inch gaming monitor NEEDS to be 4k. But continue living like a plebe

Reactions: Rea

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
People saying you won't tell the difference between 4k and 1440p LMAO. So you're telling me you cannot see a 400% increase in resolution yet you're telling me you can see a 78% increase.
You're laughable.
It's really easy to tell who actually got in front of a screen with 4k resolution and who didn't. You're just one block away from the old "the human eye cannot see above 30fps".

Also, people saying DLSS makes the games look worse? Have you at least tried this technology or just speaking out of spite?

Getting so defensive on 1440p just makes my argument on it being overrated more and more strong.
R.eb0ad310266ca42774f3f4f3e2414bd5

Top Bottom