• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry — RTX 4070 Super vs PS5: How Much Faster/Better Are Today's Mid-Range GPUs?

Kenpachii

In rasterization, it's not that difficult. Then 4070 is slightly slower than a 7800XT.
The question is about RT. If the PS5 Pro uses the RT units from RDNA3, than it's going to lag behind the 4070.
But RDNA4 is supposed to use newer RT units. So it might be able to narrow the gap.
The PS5 pro is rumored to use a mix tech from RNDA3 and RDNA4.
But at this point, we are all just speculating.

Major thing with the pro is going to be if framegen will be a thing on past games, u will see a massive 2x boost even on cpu performance then. That pro will be a world different from the PS5 performance wise then.

winjer

Gold Member
Major thing with the pro is going to be if framegen will be a thing on past games, u will see a massive 2x boost even on cpu performance then. That pro will be a world different from the PS5 performance wise then.

FSR3 FG works well with RDNA2. And its open source. And has a plugin for UE4 and UE5.
So devs can implement it on the PS5 and Series consoles, if they want to.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Of course it wouldn’t hold back the 5800x like how the ps5 cpu would likely hold back its gpu that’s the point I was making with the 80% comment really should be no more than a 5600x when comparing against a ps5. And I saw the 2.15x in rasterized benchmarks online
Where? Because HU has the 4080 2.16x ahead of the 6700 XT which is faster than the 6700 by around 15%. That's just in raster and this would make the 4080...yeah, 2.48x faster than the regular 6700 and that's at 1440p. The difference in 4K is like 2.6x.

Last edited:
Where? Because HU has the 4080 2.16x ahead of the 6700 XT which is faster than the 6700 by around 15%. That's just in raster and this would make the 4080...yeah, 2.48x faster than the regular 6700 and that's at 1440p. The difference in 4K is like 2.6x.
I assume to the reason you bring up the 6700 is because of what digital foundry said?

Gaiff

I assume to the reason you bring up the 6700 is because of what digital foundry said?
Because in countless benchmarks the PS5 is on the level of a 2070S/2080/6700, give or take a few percents. That's generally where it stands and given their configurations, this isn't one bit surprising. PS5 fares better at higher resolutions due to its higher bandwidth and VRAM. 6700 fares better at lower resolution because of its higher compute and clocks. Whatever the case, the PS5 would need to be on the level of a 6750 XT for the 4080 to be only 2.15x faster and it's clearly not.

Last edited:
Because in countless benchmarks the PS5 is on the level of a 2070S/2080/6700, give or take a few percents. That's generally where it stands and given their configurations, this isn't one bit surprising. PS5 fares better at higher resolutions due to its higher bandwidth and VRAM. 6700 fares better at lower resolution because of its higher compute and clocks. Whatever the case, the PS5 would need to be on the level of a 6750 XT for the 4080 to be only 2.15x faster and it's clearly not.
so digital foundry then. Those cards only match the ps5 when using a better cpu not an equal one

Gaiff

I guess you lack self awareness as well I would have came up with a vague figure like 2x if I was pulling something out my butt
Since you saw it "in some benchmarks online," for which you haven't provided the source, we'll assume you're lying. You always try using the CPU as a cop-out and it didn't work this time. The 4080, 4090, and 6700 XT were all tested with the same 5800X.

And lol if you think the CPU is a factor at 4K. It's not.

A $599 RTX 4070 super is superior than a
2020 APU??

ItS60NI.gif

Unfortunately, the graphics card doesn't work without RAM, CPU, motherboard, power supply, etc.

Pretty pointless video. Oh yes, that's right, otherwise you wouldn't have been able to bash against the PS5. Why PS5 and no comparison to the xbox series x!?
gonna cry tobey maguire GIF

I swear you guys get way too emotional over a brand. "buT WhaT aBout Xbawks!?"

Last edited:

Freeman76

Probably won't even be on par and that CPU seems to be unchanged, according to rumors.
Its always the same on GAF though, Sony stuff is hyped beyond belief on here because in GAFs eyes Sony good everyone else bad. Those same people will be quiet as fuck when the pro is underwhelming.

so digital foundry then. Those cards only match the ps5 when using a better cpu not an equal one
I mean for Alan Wake 2 for example you can search comparisons on youtube with a 12400 or 10400 CPU which are cheap af, and the 6700 is still the same or outperforming.

phant0m

AMD really fucked this gen by FSR being so shitty compared to DLSS. Not to mention atrocious RT performance.

I really don’t have interest in a Pro, but I am very excited to see what Nintendo does with DLSS-capable hardware.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Its always the same on GAF though, Sony stuff is hyped beyond belief on here because in GAFs eyes Sony good everyone else bad. Those same people will be quiet as fuck when the pro is underwhelming.
No, they'll make themselves believe that the Pro is revolutionary. I never understood being a fan of a company that makes a computer. I just buy what is best on the market.

Kataploom

Gold Member
You just asked for any games cause you were confident there were none and I made sure to name more than 1 to verify it wasn’t an outlier but fine I’ll name one more Elden ring
Well, not whatever, I meant games that supported your argument? Nevermind...

Kataploom

Gold Member
How old is RTX4070 ? 1 and a halve years ?
And PS5 ? 3 years ?
You do the math.....you are getting 500$ console who can decently play games for next 7 to 10 years or 2k PC who can be top of the line this year & fall short next few years.
Digital Foundry making useless comparations comparing oranges to apples. Best value in gaming are consoles, PC gaming cost you a lot of money to be in top tier (top tier PC setup can cost you more then 3.5k with top tear monitor, mouse & keyboard.
LOL, wtf is that comparison? That PC would stop being top of the line in two years and still be way more powerful than PS5 50 years later lmao. Sure as hell that it will play next gen games better than PS5 as well.

M1987

As a 3080 owner i'd gladly trade it for a 4070, if rasterization mattered, people would mostly buy AMD cards on PC, but the truth is one of the reasons to go to PC is to escape from AMD's cards and technology.

A 4070 with DLSS 3 and FG destroys a 3080, and is an over 2x upgrade from a PS5 considering the 4070s from the DF's video is like 2,5x to 3x the PS5's performance.
You can get FG on a 3080

Top Bottom