• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

144hz is magical!

nkarafo

If I'm this impressed by 144hz, I can't even imagine 240hz lol
I played a few games at 240hz/fps like Monster World and Dead Space 2.

Imagine the sharpness of the image when the game is completely still, being almost the same as when you move the camera around or you scroll left-right. LCDs tend to get blurry when the picture is moving and so far, only CRTs get perfect clarity. At 240hz though, an LCD comes very close to that kind of clarity. I tested 120 and 144hz and while there is a big improvement over 60, there's still a lot of blurring left. 240hz is clear enough to read small text while it's moving around smoothly, i could only do that on my CRT monitor. I assume 360 or 480hz should be able to reach perfect CRT motion clarity.

But only if you can run something that fast. Running 60fps on a fast monitor looks just as bad as running it on a standard 60hz one.

Last edited:

Allandor

Well have a 144hz display, but because of 10 bit color only runs at 120 @1440p. But I limit games to 60 because of how load the GPU can get
But really, don't see much of a difference with 120 or 144 fps. I will stay by 60 fps until GPUs can be cooling near silent with air.

nkarafo

I also bought a 144hz laptop this month, but honestly I can't tell the difference.
To see a difference the game/content must also run at 144hz. Preferably vsynced or using g-sync/freesync. Running something at random framerates with no kind of sync will not look smooth, even if it's well above 60fps.

There is a pretty big difference between 60 and 120/144 fps. Especially on fast paced games. 240hz is where diminishing returns take place but you still getting better motion clarity.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Sure is magical. I went from 1080p 60hz to 1440p 165hz with G-sync a bunch of years ago. I couldn’t believe how good it was. Now I’m considering going back to 1080p, but with 240hz instead. Smoothness over particle effects and shadows any day. I’m addicted to the frames.

nkarafo

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
been playing it for a few months. its smooth but not a magical experience. i think 60 fps is enough.

the only time i saw any discernible difference was when i went from struggling against console players in CoD in 60 fps to keeping up with the ridiculous aim assist at 120 fps. (There is no aim assist on PC controllers) but other than that, re3, mad max, cod, and destiny didnt feel that much smoother. if i didnt have the framerate counter running i wouldnt be able to tell if it was 60 fps or 120 fps or 164 fps.

Maybe its because i play with controllers.

Edit: i remember holding off on playing cod and re3 earlier this year because i was playing FF7 on the ps4 and i didnt want to ruin my console experience by getting used to the higher fps. but eventually did go back and play through some of both campaigns and had no trouble adjusting to either ff7 or tlou2 and ghost of tsushima. again, its probably because i play with controllers. i wouldnt be surprised if the extra framerates remove the jankiness of mouse controls.

Last edited:

Sakura

I mean obviously there is a difference. But even using that test the difference between 144 and 72 isn't that significant to me, compared to 36 which just looks like a blurry mess. Maybe it depends on the games you are playing. I've been playing FFXIV recently, and dropped it down from 144 to 72 because my laptop was getting pretty hot, and honestly I couldn't really tell the difference. Playing MCC, the animation for switching weapons looked really smooth, but I couldn't really tell a whole lot outside of that.

djkimothy

Welcome to the club! It’s seriously hard to go back and forth between my PC and PS4 but both have games i want to play. At least on the PC it’s 144 Hz goodness if i can reach it.

MCplayer

I also bought a 144hz laptop this month, but honestly I can't tell the difference.
make sure the laptop is configured to 144hz in the nvidia control panel, if you gave an nvidia laptop (and if your gpu manages to hit more then at least 65FPS, I cannotice a diference even between 60 to 70 FPS

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I really didn't notice it much, I switched from a 1080p 60hz monitor to a freesync (Gsync Compatible) 1440p 144hz one a couple years ago and the biggest change for me was the resolution rather than the extra hz. And it's not like I can run every game at 120+ fps, so I keep switching between that and 60 (or even concede to deal with less than that for some games my aging cpu can't handle) and still find no issue with 60. Perhaps it's the vrr that helps? It certainly didn't make me go wow like 60fps games did in contrast to 30 (they still have a great contrast but of course 60 is expected rather than a wonder it happens and 30 is always a compromise now).

Last edited:

Loke

Bought one of these very recently, very happy with it (goes up to 160Hz though). Also first time experiencing 144hz while gaming was absolutely unreal. Well worth the money.

34gn850-b-design-medium.jpg

sendit

This is the true advantage of PC gaming. Being able to play at lower settings to achieve a higher FPS given the right GPU. 144+ FPS gives you such an advantage in competitive multiplayer.

MrMiyagi

Banned
Damn it seems my eyeballs are limited to 60hz.
I got a 165hz monitor but I've never been able to tell that big a difference between 60 and 120fps. In the end I always end up playing in 1440p and 60fps instead.

Welcome to the club brother. Some other things to keep in mind for those interested in upgrading. I made this post a while back after I had gotten my new monitor.

"So, I recently upgraded from a 3440x1440 ultrawide 60hz LG monitor to a 2560x1440 144hz Viewsonic Elite xg270QG Gsync monitor...

I have to say, hands down, the framerate diff and ESPECIALLY the Gsync has got to be the best upgrade I've ever made. It's easily made more of a noticeable difference than anything else other than going from an r9 290 to a gtx 1080. But I'd still give the monitor the edge believe it or not due to the Variable Overdrive and the Gsync range from 30 all the way up to 165hz keeping things buttery smooth and as blur, stutter and tear free as possible. It's literally better than I thought it would be.

This has greatly extended the life of my GPU as far as I'm concerned. I can now crank up the settings more in open world games like TW3 and now hove a much smoother and visually pleasing experience, literally just because of the monitor.

Also, to put it into perspective, with 144hz you have up to 2.4 times more information visually available to you on the screen every second than when at 60hz. This makes for a much smoother viewing experience and enhances the feeling of connection or responsiveness between you and the game when you are inputting commands. Everything just seems more instant.

However, not all screens are equal. Just because something has high refresh rates doesn't mean you are getting all the things you want out of a great display. If you want less blur or ghosting you are going to want a monitor or tv with low pixel response times. Good color? Panel type and color gamut range will effect this. Input lag, stuttering, tearing? Freesync or Gsync... etc. etc. "

CuNi

I went from my 144hz to a 240hz monitor.
First of, the difference is not as massive as going from 60 to 144hz obviously but it still is noticeable.
For me, the biggest gain was in getting a screen that has MBR via Backlight Strobing. That bumps the perceived sharpness up by quite a good margin and really helps in competitive games when it comes to tracking fast movements.

Soodanim

I have a 144hz as my primary display, and a 60hz next to it. Even something as simple as scrolling GAF on the 60hz feels worse, because the overall smoothness improvement of 120+ is so good. Framerates are a big part of why I went PC in the first place, and they're why I'm happy 120hz is going to be widely supported in the future. We all win. The only downside, apart from money, is that going back to console is harder when I know 30fps is forever going to be commonplace. I know anyone can adapt in time, but regularly going from PC smoothness to console low FPS is not appealing.

I've not tried 240hz, but I have used my monitor's black frame insertion mode (which makes motion clarity nearly as good as CRT) and it's amazing. If 240hz can approach that without the brightness drop, I see the appeal.

notseqi

"So, I recently upgraded from a 3440x1440 ultrawide 60hz LG monitor to a 2560x1440 144hz Viewsonic Elite xg270QG Gsync monitor...
Whats a 4K? I am not really interested in that resolution as my games tend to lean on less visual impact but gameplay. 144hz was a logical step to that, thanks Asus MG279Q.

Whats a 4K? I am not really interested in that resolution as my games tend to lean on less visual impact but gameplay. 144hz was a logical step to that, thanks Asus MG279Q.
Huh? Sorry but I'm not quite understanding your question. Both of the resolutions you quoted are 1440p. Not 4k.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Still waiting for a 21:9, 144hz+, 4K monitor that doesn’t cost an insane amount. Right now, I have a 21:9, 100hz, 1440p monitor. It works great but hey, I want to experience nirvana.

Zero chance I move away from 21:9 for PC gaming.

Last edited:

Larsowitz

Just curious, but even a 240hz monitor should have a lower motion resolution than a Pioneer Kuro (900 plus lines) or Panasonic Plasmas (1080 lines).

Wouldn’t it make more sense to game on a Plasma than?

Larsowitz

I got a 165hz monitor but I've never been able to tell that big a difference between 60 and 120fps. In the end I always end up playing in 1440p and 60fps instead.

You should see a difference once you move the camera!

bilderberg

I have 144 hz but I don't really care about high frame rates for anything but ultra competitive multiplayer games. The biggest benefit for me using a high refresh rate monitor is having so many divisible vysnc's. I'm really sensitive to frame judder and uneven frame pacing so I mostly use 1/2 or 1/3 vsync(72 or 48 fps) and it's smooth enough. Sure if i'm playing csgo i'll turn vysnc off and play easily at 300+ fps and that's cool; but for single player games like RDR2 I'd rather just turn all the graphics up and get a smooth experience at a locked 48fps rather than jumping all around from 60-144 with my fan being loud because my gpu usage is at 100% all the time.

Last edited:

I_D

Make sure you have the higher refresh rates enabled.
The difference between 60hz and 120hz should be pretty darn noticeable; even when just moving your cursor across your desktop.

lukilladog

Out of curiosity I took a picture of my 60hz crt TV running the UFO test @3840 pixels per second:

gPY0f4Y.jpg

It seems like lcd has a long way to go, this is running at the much slower speed of 960 pixels per second and @240HZ, still looks blurry :pie_thinking: :

wfubae7db1541.jpg

Top Bottom