• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

17 year old teen throws 9 year old off of building roof (Update: expected to live)

Status
Not open for further replies.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
We need to talk about Kevin.

This story has taught me to never turn a blind eye to 'horseplay'. You never know. Especially if the kid is yelling 'help' or 'mommy'.

I have a 9 year old so I couldn't imagine this happening to my son. I say to trial this 17 year old as an adult. Should know better.

Red

I have a 9 year old so I couldn't imagine this happening to my son. I say to trial this 17 year old as an adult. Should know better.
He dragged a crying nine year old to a rooftop and tossed him over the edge. Of course he knew better. He was completely aware of what he was doing, and didn't care.

Carnby

They're not robots "BEEP BOOP OUR FAMILY MEMBER SHOULD BE KILLED END TRANSMISSION"

I disagree. I see this type of stuff happen all the time. Some scum bag murders another child or is shot to death by police because he was armed, and the whole community rallies for them. At the vigil their rhetoric is "it was a misunderstanding. We demand justice!" Give me a break.

Do you have any family members with chronic problems with the law? drug addiction issues? assault? I do.

At some point you have to realize that not calling them out on their behavior is enabling it and making it worse. You can love your family member, but still realize and drill it into them that "hey, what you do and who you are is not good, and it's not healthy." people that still turn a blind eye and use the "oh, but he's a good boy" routine only make it worse. There ARE good people who do shitty things in moments of weakness. This is not one of those cases.

I'm sure many of these people have happily bailed him out or given character witness statements about what a good person he is at heart, hoping that he'll get the message THIS time and clean up his act. it rarely works this way in practice, and its sad to see it.

This man knows what he's talking about. Anything else is enabling their behavior.

Look at all those cowardly shithead family members giving the "but he's a good boy" line.
Was there any need to call them cowardly shitheads?It's hard to come to grips with the fact someone you know your whole life is capable of doing something like this.

Angry Fork

I hope everyone saying he should be tried as an adult thinks 17 should be the default adult age for everything else as well. And prison should be a combination of punishment and rehabilitation, life in prison without attempting mental help first makes no sense. Don't let emotions get in the way of what's right/wrong.

JollyWolf

I hope everyone saying he should be tried as an adult thinks 17 should be the default adult age for everything else as well. And prison should be a combination of punishment and rehabilitation, life in prison without attempting mental help first makes no sense. Don't let emotions get in the way of what's right/wrong.

If he is psychopathic, there is not much that can be done about it.

Gattsu25

Banned
Was there any need to call them cowardly shitheads?It's hard to come to grips with the fact someone you know your whole life is capable of doing something like this.
You make that realization after they get arrested for robbery among 3 other arrests.

9 year old
5 Stories

Glad the kid is alive.

17 year old so we should throw him off a 9 and a half story building?

I wonder if mirrors edge will be blamed.

I can see it now. Video games + Rooftop accident = Mirrors edge encourages people to throw each other from buildings.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Well, according to the article he was arrested four times previously, his neighbours and family members couldn't be oblivious of that, right?

My first thought.

No guns? What will GAF talk about?

How about this... Attempted murderers should have the same punishment as murders. Because your inept at doing what you set out to do why should you be punished less? Hell, I would consider punishing attempted murder suspects more harshly at least the murderer can set a goal and accomplish it.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

i hear you but at the same time i cant but feel like the mother and son deserve their chance at revenge if it makes them feel better. life in prison or not should ultimately be their choice.

the 9 year old is going to be scarred for life. if aska getting out in the next 20 years bothers him in the slightest then he should have vito power. if he choses to forgive and aska has proven hes no longer insane then fine.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Man I'm praying for this kid. As someone who fell off the fifth floor of a building myself(I was a dumb kid), I know what his family is experiencing.

drspeedy

Damn. Reminds me of the boondocks episode...

tumblr_m6x8qx1p4P1r60v6do1_500.gif

Well, according to the article he was arrested four times previously, his neighbours and family members couldn't be oblivious of that, right?
Well before this happened it's hard to see if the kid was really bad or just being a dumb teenager making dumb mistakes.

If the door to the roof was supposed to be locked, and tenants have complained about it being unlocked before, I'm almost positive that the owner of the property might be sued by the victim's family. I wouldn't be opposed to that.

This is disgusting. I hope the 9 year old kid doesn't end up with any long term damage.

Throw the 17 year old off the same building. If he survives the fall, throw him off again.
No, I'm not entirely serious, but it's clear the 17 year old is a piece of shit and needs to be dealt with properly

Deadbeat

Banned
If the door to the roof was supposed to be locked, and tenants have complained about it being unlocked before, I'm almost positive that the owner of the property might be sued by the victim's family. I wouldn't be opposed to that.
As opposed to suing the guy THAT ACTUALLY COMMITTED THE FUCKING CRIME?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

you think a 17 year old insane kid has money?

-life for aska

-50k from the landlord.

sounds fine to me.

tbh it doesnt really change anything though. aska could have thrown him from a balcony.

Easy. Calm down, will ya. You should have noted that I didn't even mention the 17 year old. I was merely bringing in a different angle. I'm a sensible human being, so it should go without saying that I hope he rots in prison.

what
the
fuck

on the semi bright side, at least this thread wont end up about guns. But that kid is sick, and hopefully wont see the light of day

If the 9-year old had a gun, none of this would've happened.

And yeah, the other kid needs to be locked away for a long time.

ElRenoRaven

It’s not the first time Aska has been in trouble with the law. He has four prior arrests that include collars for robbery, assault, harassment and menacing, law enforcement sources said.

Some neighbors were shocked that Aska was cuffed for such a heinous crime. “He’s a good kid,” Simonetti said. “I never would believe he would try to hurt his friend.”

Freddy’s grandfather, who gave his name as Juan, said the family was stunned. “I don’t know how this happened,” he said in Spanish. “He’s a good boy.”

Yea gee the little fucker was a good kid. Only had arrests for robbery, assault, harassment, and menacing. I mean don't all kids do that? Fucker deserves life in prison if the kid survives and if he don't the death penalty.

The Lamp

Some neighbors were shocked that Aska was cuffed for such a heinous crime. “He’s a good kid,” Simonetti said.

It’s not the first time Aska has been in trouble with the law. He has four prior arrests that include collars for robbery, assault, harassment and menacing, law enforcement sources said.

Dumbasses.

“That door (to the roof) is always open,” said Wanda Simonetti. “People have complained to the super, but nothing happens.”

I hope the super gets some intense legal action from this shit. This is one reason why you restrict roof access.

Dumbasses.

As for Askin, lock him away for at least a decade, but hopefully more than that.

Yea gee the little fucker was a good kid. Only had arrests for robbery, assault, harassment, and menacing. I mean don't all kids do that? Fucker deserves life in prison if the kid survives and if he don't the death penalty.

See, this is something I've never understood. In terms of the sentence, why should it matter if the kid survives or not? Surely, the intent is all that matters. He attempted to murder him, whether or not he succeeded shouldn't change the sentence. Someone shouldn't be given a lesser sentence if they try to murder someone but fail. The dickhead is just as much of a danger to society whether he succeeds or fails.

No one played Mirror's Edge.

Media don't care, they don't need facts.

It's a shame that we can't look at this and recognize that multiple things needed to be changed to prevent this tragedy.

The perpetrator's entire life and upbringing brought him to this point, his family enabled this behavior, the criminal justice system didn't take the threat seriously enough, he should have been screened for mental illness and anger management issues...

Nope, blame video games, get a talking head on there to cite stuff, make a fake statement about sympathy, cut to commercial and NOTHING EVER CHANGES!

CHusson91

Banned
9 year old
5 Stories

Glad the kid is alive.

17 year old so we should throw him off a 9 and a half story building?

I wonder if mirrors edge will be blamed.

I can see it now. Video games + Rooftop accident = Mirrors edge encourages people to throw each other from buildings.

Don't worry, your precious video games will not be blamed. Not every news story involving children points fingers at the things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom