• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

17 year old teen throws 9 year old off of building roof (Update: expected to live)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElRenoRaven

See, this is something I've never understood. In terms of the sentence, why should it matter if the kid survives or not? Surely, the intent is all that matters. He attempted to murder him, whether or not he succeeded shouldn't change the sentence. Someone shouldn't be given a lesser sentence if they try to murder someone but fail. The dickhead is just as much of a danger to society whether he succeeds or fails.

For me I'm an eye for an eye kind of guy. While yes he attempted to murder the kid he didn't succeed. Hence if the kid lives he gets to live however the kid is obviously going to be disabled pretty badly from it if he does live so I say keep him alive if he lives but put him to work in there. All the money he makes goes to the kid and his family.

This all goes to my larger thoughts on our prison system and how I think it's too damn easy on the prisoners. They should be put to work doing hard labor and not get any of the perks that being a law abiding citizen entails. This of course means 3 square meals and a cot. They would be paid of course but the money would go to the people they wronged or the families of those if they were someone that was crippled by them.

ZaCH3000

Jesus, the intent is horrific and malicious. Dragging a 9 year old to the roof while he is defenselessly kicking and screaming for help, pleading for his life the entire way is disgusting.

This shithead is an evil menace to society and should be charged with attempted murder in the first degree and then some for the heinous nature of the crime.

I bet his conviction is harsh, deservedly so. Good luck in prison is all I have to say. This deranged teen will quickly learn that the predator becomes prey in prison.

It’s not the first time Aska has been in trouble with the law. He has four prior arrests that include collars for robbery, assault, harassment and menacing, law enforcement sources said.

Some neighbors were shocked that Aska was cuffed for such a heinous crime. “He’s a good kid,” Simonetti said.

Good kid? Well aside from all the robbery, assault, harassment and menacing.

Mariolee

But when she peeked up the stairwell, she saw two youths wrestling. Dismissing the rowdiness as part of the usual child’s play that occurs on the roof, the neighbor went back to her apartment.

“That door (to the roof) is always open,” said Wanda Simonetti. “People have complained to the super, but nothing happens.”

The fuck?

GlassBox

Banned
The reason I'm pro-death penalty in certain cases such as this is because I cannot fathom the fact that we must spend resources, manpower and money (all things that could be spent on legitimate cases of people who could be rehabilitated) on keeping pieces of shit like this alive for the rest of their existence, when there is likely nothing to be redeemable about them.

The fact that he made a conscious decision to drag and throw a little kid off a roof shows a mind that is psychotic and will only become more and more dangerous and twisted in prison.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
For me I'm an eye for an eye kind of guy. While yes he attempted to murder the kid he didn't succeed. Hence if the kid lives he gets to live however the kid is obviously going to be disabled pretty badly from it if he does live so I say keep him alive if he lives but put him to work in there. All the money he makes goes to the kid and his family.

This all goes to my larger thoughts on our prison system and how I think it's too damn easy on the prisoners. They should be put to work doing hard labor and not get any of the perks that being a law abiding citizen entails. This of course means 3 square meals and a cot. They would be paid of course but the money would go to the people they wronged or the families of those if they were someone that was crippled by them.

An approach known for its effectiveness in stopping people from becoming repeat offenders.

It'll be even better for the people who run into this little monster after he leaves whatever American prison he gets put in to that turns him into a hardened criminal.

Kid'll probably have quite a few murders or heinous acts under his belt in 30 years.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
It'll be even better for the people who run into this little monster after he leaves whatever American prison he gets put in to that turns him into a hardened criminal.

Kid'll probably have quite a few murders or heinous acts under his belt in 30 years.

dont let him out?

dab0ne

First off... how come people can get to the roof in the first place? Shouldn't it be locked up or something?

Secondly... I want to cry.

He'll probably get his ass kicked on a daily basis when the other cons find out why he's in.

So angry right now....I can't even fucking describe it.

Torture this peace of shit for as long as humanly possible while keeping him alive, let him beg for his life, then for death, torture him more and then throw him off the building. If he lives put a bullet in his head.

Nobody who does something like this deserves to live, "good kid" ....right.

smurfx

get some go again
holy crap that kid is insane. how in the world did that 9 year old even survive that fall? i really hope he can recover and hopefully without too much permanent damage.

Arrested 4x.

"He's a good kid though."

Who are the bad kids then?
if you know them then they are obviously good.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
you think a 17 year old insane kid has money?

-life for aska

-50k from the landlord.

sounds fine to me.

tbh it doesnt really change anything though. aska could have thrown him from a balcony.
Wouldn't be much point in suing the landlord for $50k. First off, you've got issues with your legal theory. Sure, you can argue (1) that the landlord had a duty to make the building safe for the residents, (2) that locking the rooftop door was essential to making the building safe, and (3) that the landlord was negligent in that duty, but that's not going to get you over your proximate cause issues, in that the landlord's negligence was not the direct cause of the kid's injuries. The 17 year old throwing the kid off the roof--which would be an intentional tort--would serve to negate or at least severely limit the landlord's liability.

Then, for $50k, you're look at the attorney taking $15-$20k for fees, another $2-$10k in expenses (depending upon the use of experts), and then you will have to pay off any medical liens that are placed upon his claim. The kid would literally not see a single dime of the $50k, so, yeah, if the parents went out of pocket for the expenses, then it might be worth it to pay down some of their medical debt, but, otherwise their insurance company/medicaid/medicare will be the beneficiary of the action.

BobLoblaw

Banned
That piece of shit isn't long for this world. Death penalty please. With that record and now a potential murder, he's just a waste of space at this point.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
First off... how come people can get to the roof in the first place? Shouldn't it be locked up or something?

Secondly... I want to cry.

The article mentions it, the roof has been unlocked for some time. The tenants have complained about it to the super, but he hasn't done anything about it. But yes, those doors should always be locked.

He has four prior arrests that include collars for robbery, assault, harassment and menacing, law enforcement sources said.

Another recidivist piece of shit fucking the world up for everyone else. Should have been locked up after "Robbery".

Monocle

Wow, that's incredibly sick. I hope the kid pulls through.

So angry right now....I can't even fucking describe it.

Torture this peace of shit for as long as humanly possible while keeping him alive, let him beg for his life, then for death, torture him more and then throw him off the building. If he lives put a bullet in his head.

Nobody who does something like this deserves to live, "good kid" ....right.
And what moral person of sound mind would be up to the task of brutalizing and then executing a mentally ill teenager? What reasonable system of justice could justify that? Behaving like a bloodthirsty ape would make everything worse. Retributive punishment doesn't prevent future crimes and can't undo crimes already committed. Its only practical purpose is to gratify people who can't rein in their vengeful impulses to support what's right for society.

Life.In.Prison. with no parole. The capital punishment is not the answer, waste this punks life behind bars and never give him hope of escape.

Paper Fox

To be fair, it's entirely possible that the neighbour didn't know about the kids priors and just assumed he (she?) was "a good kid".
When family members use this line though, christ it gets my blood boiling. It's always "he's a good kid, he just hangs out with the wrong crowd" etc etc.

Monocle

Just execute. We got enough people in the planet. More resources for people who can use it wisely
Walk into your nearest Wal-Mart and witness where our precious resources are going. If this resource conservation argument were logically consistent, we'd focus on curbing the habits of immoderate consumers, not killing violent criminals.

This is the kind of person who WILL shoot up a school in ten years if he is allowed back out on the streets.

These are the kind of people that need to be kept the fuck away from society.

Famassu

Da fuk, I hate parents who are all "He's a good boy" with a passion, when he's been assaulting people and doing all other kinds of shit. Obviously he is NOT a good boy.

BrettHD

Banned
To be fair, it's entirely possible that the neighbour didn't know about the kids priors and just assumed he (she?) was "a good kid".
When family members use this line though, christ it gets my blood boiling. It's always "he's a good kid, he just hangs out with the wrong crowd" etc etc.

That argument goes out the window when the person is being arrested for throwing
someone off a fucking roof.
You call anyone who just did something like that a "good kid" you're a fucking idiot,
period.

Paper Fox

That argument goes out the window when the person is being arrested for throwing
someone off a fucking room.
You call anyone who just did something like that a "good kid" you're a fucking idiot,
period.

Yes I'm sure she realises that now.

Edit: The point I was trying to make was that it's reasonable for the neighbour (article quotes the woman as a neighbour, not a family member) to assume the 17 year old is a normal teen if she knew nothing of his criminal history. If you have only a passing connection with someone (like a neighbour), being shocked that they committed a heinous crime is a valid reaction.

Rajack

Why are none of us ever around to stop these horrible things from happening? It hardly seems fair for the victims to not have some one trying to save them.

Mobius 1

EgrEjKB.gif

Precisely.

“Mommy! Mommy!” Freddy Martin cried out, unable to move, as he lay on the concrete sidewalk in front of the Nelson Ave. building in Morris Heights, witnesses said.

This is one of the most heartbreaking things I have ever read on gaf.

ultim8p00

Banned
Serious question guys, is white culture like a cancer? What causes these white people to act like animals? I've never seen black people act like this. Etc etc

He is getting more dangerous as he is getting older, a menace to society for a repeat offender getting to more serious violent crimes.

send him to jail, tried as an adult

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom