• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 Men Use Girl as Human Shield, Father Guns Them Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure this is literally true. I'm sure when he saw a gun pointed at his daughters head by deranged maniacs he literally said:

"My time to shine!" and "This is what I've been waiting for, WooHOOO!"

Instead of, you know, being frightened at the notion that his daughter had a gun to her head and reacting in a manner that he believed had the best chance of saving her life given the severity of the situation.

Not by talking the intruders down or giving into their demands - but by giving them the old trick shot.

Wife nearly killed her by the sound of it.

crozier

Ugh. A home invasion would be the worst. Makes you wonder what their plan was. Rape the daughter, then murder the family after they're tied up? It probably wasn't simple theft carried out in that manner.

Cute?

Enjoy some cuteness then.

Boy, 3, kills baby while playing with gun
Teens charged in fatal gun accident
15-year-old dies in gun accident at the Broad River
Boy, 4, killed in Merrillville gun accident
Sheriff: Salisbury man kills cousin with shotgun in apparent accident

That's everyday reality. It is so common that it doesn't make it into anything but the local news. But let's stick to confirmation bias . . . something good happened with a gun this one time . . . so ignore all the kids that die all the time.

Real statistics? . . . Those for for nerds!

@_@

iMsrrPbs0rXuO.gif

Exactly . . . you run away from the ugly reality you don't want to hear about.

Cute?

Enjoy some cuteness then.

That's everyday reality. It is so common that it doesn't make it into anything but the local news. But let's stick to confirmation bias . . . something good happened with a gun this one time . . . so ignore all the kids that die all the time.

Real statistics? . . . Those for for nerds!

You're really cherry picking to make your point.
As sad as all of these stories were, these were irresponsible people playing with guns or leaving guns out AS IF THEY WERE TOYS.
Most, if not all responsible gun owners know a gun is not a toy.
That's what gun safes are for.

Exactly . . . you run away from the ugly reality you don't want to hear about.

You don't care about how a child got his hands on a uzi?

Amon37

Not by talking the intruders down or giving into their demands - but by giving them the old trick shot.

Wife nearly killed her by the sound of it.

Giving in to their demands?

"Yes rape my daughter, kill us and steal our stuff"

This has to be the stupidest post I've ever read.
Please tell me this was a joke post.

Giving in to their demands?

"Yes rape my daughter, kill us and steal our stuff"

This has to be the stupidest post I've ever read.
Please tell me this was a joke post.

Better your daughter get raped and your shit get stolen than her winding up dead because Mom just finished watching the end of Bad Boys 2.

How many times has a would-be hero failed in a situation like this? We can call the father a hero but he took a risk, and it would be interesting to know how often such a risk pays off.

How many times has a would-be hero failed in a situation like this? We can call the father a hero but he took a risk, and it would be interesting to know how often such a risk pays off.

How many times in your life have you heard of a hero gunslinger and how many times have you heard of a family member getting accidently shot?

So... how are your neighbors being responsible gun owners if they're escalating a hostage situation into a residential shootout and also firing stray bullets into your home? Does collateral damage just not matter? Does the safety of bystanders just not matter?

Why is this worthy of a laugh? Answer me.

So what should they have done?

ramuh

Wouldn't you say that letting your daughter get possibly raped, your crap stolen, and your entire family life possibly killed a greater risk? I'm sure the daughter probably knows about her father's gun. You think the daughter would be ok with the father just saying, I didn't want to take a risk so I laid down and let them do whatever they wanted.

He protected what was most dear in his own home.

You're really cherry picking to make your point.
As sad as all of these stories were, these were irresponsible people playing with guns or leaving guns out AS IF THEY WERE TOYS.
Most, if not all responsible gun owners know a gun is not a toy.
That's what gun safes are for.
When apparently there are a shitload of irresponsible gun owners because you can read these stories EVERY WEEK. How about we mandate gun safes then? No can't do that.

I did not cherry pick, I just type in 'gun accident' into google news and posted a few. Those are all from the last couple weeks. Do it every week and learn of the endless senseless deaths.

You don't care about how a child got his hands on a uzi?

I do care, that's why I don't run away from reality.

lednerg

I bet that the girl wouldn't have become a 'human shield' if it weren't for the presence of the parents' guns. One doesn't usually resort to making a shield out of a person unless provoked.

ramuh

I bet that the girl wouldn't have become a 'human shield' if it weren't for the presence of the parents' guns. One doesn't usually resort to making a a shield out of a person unless provoked.

Maybe the criminals thought that they should take her hostage and put her in the house so she couldn't alert the police or neighbors. They probably would have killed her to leave no witnesses. One of the guys had a charge of murder or attempted murder in 2010 that was dismissed due to no witnesses.

When apparently there are a shitload of irresponsible gun owners because you can read these stories EVERY WEEK. How about we mandate gun safes then? No can't do that.

I did not cherry pick, I just type in 'gun accident' into google news and posted a few. Those are all from the last couple weeks. Do it every week and learn of the endless senseless deaths.

I agree that gun accidents are a problem. There should be regulations making gun safety more streamlined. But that is a slippery slope to go down. You could end up banning guns altogether for the "safety" of the citizens. But then why not ban all automobiles? They kill a lot more people each year due to "accidents". Mandate every citizen has to use public transportation for their "safety". There needs to be more responsible gun owners but anything more would be a bad decision.

Yoritomo

I agree that gun accidents are a problem. There should be regulations making gun safety more streamlined. But that is a slippery slope to go down. You could end up banning guns altogether for the "safety" of the citizens. But then why not ban all automobiles? They kill a lot more people each year due to "accidents". Mandate every citizen has to use public transportation for their "safety". There needs to be more responsible gun owners but anything more would be a bad decision.

That's a bad argument and analogy.

I just.. I honestly don't think the parents were really thinking about whether or not a bullet was going to fly out into the neighborhood in the heat of the moment like that. How can we honestly sit back and blast the parents for trying to protect their child..? I don't think I could rely on the assistance of the police to eventually show up when the threat is right there, holding a gun to my family member's head..

Time cannot be wasted in a situation like that.

I bet that the girl wouldn't have become a 'human shield' if it weren't for the presence of the parents' guns. One doesn't usually resort to making a shield out of a person unless provoked.

Really? I'd assume they did that as leverage to try to get what they wanted or they'll shoot the daughter, as a means to gain power over the situation. I highly doubt it had to do with the parent's guns. The article even states that the parents grabbed their guns after seeing them grab her. Do you think they would have continued to the door and entered the home with girl in hand if they saw both parents with guns before that?

ramuh

That's a bad argument and analogy.

Hmm. I was being hypothetical and a little obtuse. The main thing that comes down with Gun Rights, Second Amendment, and Gun Control is usually safety in the interest of the public good. And obviously the Rights of Citizens to arm themselves.

What is your view?

I do care, that's why I don't run away from reality.

I can also google DWI and come up with tons of stories every week.

Or google manslaughter or assault.

There are even murders without guns on google news.

I'm failing to see your point here. You want the entire US to be a gun free zone?

I feel like there's a hint of victim blaming in there. edit: Anyway, that's stupid. One doesn't usually resort to home invasion.

lednerg

You could apply this to your previous post as well if you want to go this route.

Ooh, take me on that route you made up.

Seriously though. How does the human shield thing work without the presence of the parents' guns? What are they shielding themselves from? Harsh stares?

ramuh

I know criminals with a violent past who I'm glad are still alive.

Sure. I'm not saying previous criminals with violent pasts don't have the right and ability for rehabilitation. But they were in the act of multiple FELONIES. Kidnapping, Criminal Use of a Weapon, and probably a host of others. There is no question that they were up to no good. And they deserved to be treated as a Severe threat to life and property.. in their own damn house.

lednerg

Sure. I'm not saying previous criminals with violent pasts don't have the right and ability for rehabilitation. But they were in the act of multiple FELONIES. Kidnapping, Criminal Use of a Weapon, and probably a host of others. There is no question that they were up to no good. And they deserved to be treated as a Severe threat to life and property.. in their own damn house.

Tell me more about these "previous criminals." I want to know more about them and what makes them immune to your thirst for vengeance.
One doesn't usually take up taking a hostage unless provoked. So the parents actions were the reason the criminals took a hostage? It's their fault she was taken hostage is what you're implying, yes?

I'm really trying to connect those dots but I can't make it. I mean I like where you're going there, but it's just not what I'm talking about.

Ooh, take me on that route you made up.

Seriously though. How does the human shield thing work without the presence of the parents' guns? What are they shielding themselves from? Harsh stares?

It's used a negotiation tactic, a scare tactic. They hold the gun to the girl's head and hope to get what they want or threaten violence or death to the person they're holding. Trying to make their opposition fold to their demands. It seems like a way to gain power over a situation.

werks

Banned
Better your daughter get raped and your shit get stolen than her winding up dead because Mom just finished watching the end of Bad Boys 2.

wow...

Oh yeah? Why's that? Because you thought it?

Well you could read the article...

"In 2010, McClinton was charged with shooting another man. Charges were eventually dropped due to lack of witness participation."

Tell me more about these "previous criminals." I want to know more about them and what makes them immune to your thirst for vengeance.

Defending yourself and you family isn't vengeance, it's self defense.

ramuh

What the hell are you talking about? You brought up previous criminals not me. There is no "thirst for vengeance". Do you even know what vengeance means? Who said anything about that? It's protecting the ones you love most dear.

You keep talking about well something made them grab the hostage they already had and use as a human shield. And again I say, It doesn't matter that they used the person they already kidnapped. They got stopped. The End. The innocent were protected.

werks

Banned

Oh I get it, it was the home invaders with the guns that were provoked. I bet if the famiy didn't have guns, they wouldn't have even thought about the home invasions. Maybe the guy with the rap sheet of previous shootings just wanted to have a chat with the dad about how dangerous guns are.

I'm really trying to connect those dots but I can't make it. I mean I like where you're going there, but it's just not what I'm talking about.

You're really defending ex cons here?

You're joking, right?

I really like how that news article has a very clear unambiguous pro-gun agenda and makes it known in the very first sentence.

Go USA.
Not.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
That lead

U mad GAF?
Haha I'll admit it got me good.
Man it would have been some sweet righteous feelings for us gun control fans if the mum who is apparently a crap shot had have shot the daughter though!

Obama and his guns kill everyone let's do better angle is gonna have a rough time now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom