• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 New FFXI Screens (X360)

IJoel

Haven't seen these posted:

gc-2005-final-fantasy-xi-screens-20050817034735163.jpg

gc-2005-final-fantasy-xi-screens-20050817034736553.jpg

Looks nice. I might get back to it if I decide to get the Xbox 360.

Shouta

Looks about the same as on my PC on max settings heh. I do find it funny they switched to the AF2 for on those models.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
you cant walk arround in that area in 2nd picture. Thats a cliff on the far end of one of the zones it's just an overlook. The game (like most mmorpgs seem to have) has several real nice overlook areas that are just fun to sit at.

Would like to see them post a picture of the last Boss arena from Chains of Promathia.

Mupepe

Banned
screw you guys, back to ff xi!! is that really how good it looks with max settings? i last played it on my ps2 and before that, a pos pc. god, if it looks that good i'm going to stop playing it on my ps2

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Mupepe said:
screw you guys, back to ff xi!! is that really how good it looks with max settings? i last played it on my ps2 and before that, a pos pc. god, if it looks that good i'm going to stop playing it on my ps2

yeah, that's what you can get at full speed on a PC.

Zaptruder

Banned
This game still holds up quite well... much more in part due to the art design then its technical merits though.

But FFXII took the wrong cues from FFXI... subligar for the main character?

Jonnyram

DrForester said:
you cant walk arround in that area in 2nd picture. Thats a cliff on the far end of one of the zones it's just an overlook. The game (like most mmorpgs seem to have) has several real nice overlook areas that are just fun to sit at.
Yeah, but if you've been playing the game since day one, that view means so much. Seeing the intro for the game three years ago and then actually reaching that area... happiness.

Shouta

Jonnyram said:
Yeah, but if you've been playing the game since day one, that view means so much. Seeing the intro for the game three years ago and then actually reaching that area... happiness.

Now I wish they'd do an expansion that you do to revive the city as a part of the story and have missions that are similar to Dynamis (but more chaotic) and some strategy elements! Can you imagine being able to setup catapults and shit for an assault like in the intro of the game?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Shouta said:
Now I wish they'd do an expansion that you do to revive the city as a part of the story and have missions that are similar to Dynamis (but more chaotic) and some strategy elements! Can you imagine being able to setup catapults and shit for an assault like in the intro of the game?

They actually kind of did that in Chains of Promathia. While you can't visit the city, you can go to the underground safehold of the city where the people hid out durring the attack. As you progress in the story the city becomes more alive by restoring ties with the outside world. You'll get access to more quests, and eventually even get access to the auction house in Jeuno from this safehold.

Shouta

DrForester said:
They actually kind of did that in Chains of Promathia. While you can't visit the city, you can go to the underground safehold of the city where the people hid out durring the attack. As you progress in the story the city becomes more alive by restoring ties with the outside world. You'll get access to more quests, and eventually even get access to the auction house in Jeuno from this safehold.

Did you forget who you were talking to? =P

Jonnyram said:
New pics just in...

startingbattle.jpg

runaway.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

All it needs is "OMFG N00B TANK" and "HEEEL ME" to a dead WM.

DrForester said:

Even if you "mountain goat" to it ala WoW? That sucks.

+Aliken+

One quick, big question.

FFXI on the Ps2 only worked if you had a hard disk (hope I'm correct). Will this mean that you Must have the Hard disk to play it on Xbox360. If yes how many titles will be "Works only if Hard Disk is used".

If this is the case they should eliminate the cheep bundle.

Deku

Banned
The same thought occured to me. Square Enix must be secretly disappointed with MS to have screwed over their first effort on the 360 before the console even shipped.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Borys said:
Umm... didn't you play the old PC version? Looks identical.
Come on. Final Fantasy is finally cool, now that it is on X360. You did not expect him to play the uncool PC and PS2 versions?

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
+Aliken+ said:
One quick, big question.

FFXI on the Ps2 only worked if you had a hard disk (hope I'm correct). Will this mean that you Must have the Hard disk to play it on Xbox360. If yes how many titles will be "Works only if Hard Disk is used".

If this is the case they should eliminate the cheep bundle.

Well, the honest truth is that you CAN do a console MMORPG (even FFXI) without using a HDD. SOE did it with EQOA (which actually has a seamless "no loading" world without zones) without a HDD by having a 4MB file on the memory card for patches.

It is possible the X360 version of FFXI has been modified to work off the disc and use a file on the memory card to store patches.

Deku

Banned
ManaByte said:
Well, the honest truth is that you CAN do a console MMORPG (even FFXI) without using a HDD. SOE did it with EQOA (which actually has a seamless "no loading" world without zones) without a HDD by having a 4MB file on the memory card for patches.

It is possible the X360 version of FFXI has been modified to work off the disc and use a file on the memory card to store patches.

Sure its possible but I wouldn't think its practical or recommended. Most patches are quite large.

PC Gaijin

ManaByte said:

Unlikely. I reinstalled this spring and had to download over 400 megabytes of patches. Granted those patches went all the way back to the NA PC release, but as time goes on the patch list for the 360 version will also probably overwhelm a 64MB memory card.

It's still a very pretty game, although that's due to the art more than anything. One of my friends used to run the PC version at 1280x768 on his Samsung DLP and it was stunning. That's what I expect the 360 version to look like (the screens above were pretty much what he was getting on his TV). However, I am still amazed that anyone can play the game on PS2. I have that version (snagged the hard drive on sale) and good lord is it butt ugly.

And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy." And the Lord did grin. And the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths, and carp and anchovies, and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit-bats and large chu.......

And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.

Jonnyram

ManaByte said:
SOE did it with EQOA (which actually has a seamless "no loading" world without zones) without a HDD by having a 4MB file on the memory card for patches.
FFXI
Jon020828023728a.jpg

EQOA
eqoa_8AnyC03994.jpg

Your point being?

Zaptruder

Banned
TheGamingGuru said:
More like ps3 and revolution as well

Like every other optical disc based game that hasn't been released for a Xbox or PC or is FFXI? :p

Seriously though, apart from the excessive expansions, there's no real reasons why they can't stream the stuff off the disc. Dual layer is more than enough to handle all the data upto date. But the patches over time can be a few hundred megs. That's the real problem.

teiresias

madara said:
Nice but waste of scenery when dont have z-axis.

Ummm, isn't there a z-axis in FFXI? I mean, sure you can't jump, but there are hills you can run up and down and elevators and the like.

Prine

Banned
Borys said:
Umm... didn't you play the old PC version? Looks identical.

nope, never played or have been interested in FF11 (i still have no interest in the game). Im probably going to buy WoW though! (PC)

Top Bottom