• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 US Navy Boats/10 American Sailors Held by Iran [Upd: Released thanks to diplomacy]

Status
Not open for further replies.

commedieu

Banned
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/pentagon-2-u-s-navy-boats-held-iran-military-n49503

Iranian military forces seized two U.S. Navy boats Tuesday and are detaining them on Iran's Farsi Island in the Persian Gulf, senior U.S. officials told NBC News.

The 10 American sailors aboard the small riverine vessels were on a training mission around noon ET when one of the boats may have experienced mechanical failure and drifted into Iranian-claimed waters, officials said. Iran's coast guard took them into custody.

The officials said it's unclear whether the sailors — nine men and one woman — had strayed into Iranian territorial waters before they were captured

160112-riverine-patrol-boat-arabian-gulf-yh-5p_34fc9d277d58c0dc942de49441e55e31.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.jpg

Riverine Command Boat (RCB) 802, assigned to Combined Task Group (CTG) 56.7, conducts patrol operations in the Arabian Gulf in Oct. 2015. Two small riverine vessels of this type were detained on Iran's Farsi Island.

If our sailors aren’t coming home yet, they need to be now. No more bargaining. Obama’s humiliatingly weak Iran policy is exposed again.
_Jeb bush.

https://twitter.com/JebBush?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

GOP rival Marco Rubio, during an interview on Fox News, called for Iran to release the sailors "immediately," saying the nation is "testing the boundaries of our resolve."

But Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., said on MSNBC that the pending release of the sailors shows how diplomacy between U.S. and Iranian officials "is working."

whoo boy.

If our sailors aren’t coming home yet, they need to be now. No more bargaining. Obama’s humiliatingly weak Iran policy is exposed again. - Jeb
GOP rival Marco Rubio, during an interview on Fox News, called for Iran to release the sailors "immediately," saying the nation is "testing the boundaries of our resolve."
Never miss an opportunity to pound your chest in an election year.

i don't understand

didn't john lerry or somebody else assure US that they will come back and they're not in captivity? I just saw that...Why making a new or an alert?
I mean...i'm just sick of those "world war 3" fans on internet so...nobody said that here but...

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Would be great if Iran let's them go without any fuss, after all the chest thumping by Republicans.

I suspect that will be exactly what happens, before the weekend.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
One senior official told NBC News the Iranians understand it was a mistake and have agreed to let the Americans go in international waters.

that is promising. it would also be a good demonstration of goodwill to those on the fence about our relationship with Iran.

RompinRaider

Neo Member
I was just thinking of the last conflict with Iran...didn't go well for Carter. Hopefully this will be over quickly but now Iran has bargaining chips. Ugh....

Loxley

If our sailors aren’t coming home yet, they need to be now. No more bargaining. Obama’s humiliatingly weak Iran policy is exposed again.

Jeb's attempts to get anybody back on his side are becoming more and more hilarious.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
"Because it's dark" is a pretty silly reason to not release them immediately, probably a delaying tactic to wind people up or something. If they had actually been doing something untoward then Tehran would be making a lot more noise.

Between this and the rocket thing a few days ago, probably the Pasdaran trying to make a point/send a message.

commedieu

Banned
CHEEZMO™;192028115 said:
"Because it's dark" is a pretty silly reason to not release them immediately, probably a delaying tactic to wind people up or something. If they had actually been doing something untoward then Tehran would be making a lot more noise.

Between this and the rocket thing a few days ago, probably the Pasdaran trying to make a point/send a message.

What message would that be? Ignorance excused please.

Remember when they arrested all those British sailors and the worse thing they did was bully one of the seamen by calling him Mr Bean because he looked like him?

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
What message would that be? Ignorance excused please.

"Don't think we've gone soft" would be my guess. Counterbalance the warming of relations and nuclear deal. See also: continued strategic missile develoment and testing.

Just to let everyone (US, the global community, the region, and their own people) know that they shouldn't get the wrong idea - Iran hasn't been mollified or pacified and is not friendly with the US.

This will almost certainly blow over in the next few days with the sailors released and such and will largely be forgotten about after a couple of weeks.

Jag

That's not a big space to operate in. The red dot is Farsi Island. Iran is to the right.

farsi-island-Artboard_2.png

Man, Iran really wants to be seen even more as a negative then it already is seen by a lot of people.

I worry that the deal with Iran is going to be seen as a negative in Obama's legacy.

commedieu

Banned
I worry that the deal with Iran is going to be seen as a negative in Obama's legacy.

Maybe, but EU supported Iran as well on this.
Also, everything Obama has done is a negative, according to some.

CHEEZMO™;192029222 said:
"Don't think we've gone soft" would be my guess. Counterbalance the warming of relations and nuclear deal. See also: continued strategic missile develoment and testing.

Just to let everyone (US, the global community, the region, and their own people) know that they shouldn't get the wrong idea - Iran hasn't been mollified or pacified and is not friendly with the US.

This will almost certainly blow over in the next few days with the sailors released and such and will largely be forgotten about after a couple of weeks.

Ahh ok.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Oh man, Americans being held hostage in Iran being used to coerce the population to vote Republicans into the White House?

I've never heard of such a thing!

So....it sounds like the boat broke down and drifted into Iran waters. Iran picked them up, and contact was made one way or the other once they figured out who they were and they're going to deliver the craft and crew back.

Why is this getting attention?

DrSlek

So....it sounds like the boat broke down and drifted into Iran waters. Iran picked them up, and contact was made one way or the other once they figured out who they were and they're going to deliver the craft and crew back.

It's an election year and the US military is sacrosanct.

Xe4

Banned

Any dumb news story like this gets attention in the off chance that shit blows the fuck up and the company gets props for being on it first. Also clicks.

LQX

Really? No big deal another country has 10 military men?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom