• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 US Navy Boats/10 American Sailors Held by Iran [Upd: Released thanks to diplomacy]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iran is in red alert against Saudi Arabia, USA as Saudi Arabia's biggest ally, is going to raise suspicion on Iran's part if they have Navy Boats close to their territory. I can understand why this would happen.

dabig2

Damn, bad move by Iran. Is this "punishment" for our refusal to abandon Saudi Arabia?

No. US boat broke down and drifted into Iranian waters. Iranians picked them up. Literally within the hour after the pickup they verified the story and told the US that they would give them back in a couple hours. The end.

The only response from the US should be "thanks for picking up our guys and sorry for having them drift into your territory. Peace."

Ovid

No. US boat broke down and drifted into Iranian waters. Iranians picked them up. Literally within the hour after the pickup they verified the story and told the US that they would give them back in a couple hours. The end.

The only response from the US should be "thanks for picking up our guys and sorry for having them drift into your territory. Peace."
It's a non story.

Somewhat related:

ARABIAN GULF (Dec. 26, 2015) Forward Looking Infrared Radar (FLIR) footage taken by a U.S. Navy Sea Hawk helicopter operating from USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75) as an Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps Navy (IRGCN) fast inshore attack craft (FIAC) fires several unguided rockets in close proximity to the USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75), USS Bulkeley (DDG 84), and the French frigate FS Provence (D 652), along with other commercial traffic, as they were transiting the Strait of Hormuz into the Arabian Gulf in an internationally recognized maritime traffic lane. (U.S. Navy video/RELEASED)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKjZVX7fplU

News article: http://www.military.com/daily-news/...es-video-of-provocative-iran-rocket-fire.html

Kathian

Banned
Well its not exactly the British captured sailers is it? And even then Iran managed to look reasonable by the end. Seems a straight forward process; sailers will be sent back on their way shortly.

Joni

Iran: Hey US, we found some of your guys. Please come pick them up.
Obama: Okay, sending the plane now.
GOP: THIS IS A DECLARATION OF WAR! SEND IN THE NUKES.

Drencrom

Iran: Hey US, we found some of your guys. Please come pick them up.
Obama: Okay, sending the plane now.
GOP: THIS IS A DECLARATION OF WAR! SEND IN THE NUKES.

Yeah, what is up with all the "bad move, Iran" comments and such? I'd say this situation couldn't possibly be handled better all things considered.

Jotaka

Yeah, what is up with all the "bad move, Iran" comments and such? I'd say this situation couldn't possibly be handled better all things considered.

That show to me the years brainwashing propaganda in effect in a lot of people OR people just don't read beyond the headline lol

Kathian

Banned
Story begins and ends literally overnight.

Iran just did what any country would do if someone else's military personnel drifted into their waters.

Erdogan%2Bfacepalm.jpg

shem935

Banned
Wait they were released? Whaattttt no but Jeb told me that Obama's policies on Iran were a failure. Jeb can't be wrong can he?

Wait they were released? Whaattttt no but Jeb told me that Obama's policies on Iran were a failure. Jeb can't be wrong can he?
The new narrative is "Of course they released them, it's all part of their nefarious Iranian long game to build an nuke and destroy us all."

I hate the rhetoric some news stations are using with regards to this. Navy boats "captured" when in reality it was "detained". You might think the distinction is subtle, but it isn't and was very much intentional

I hate the rhetoric some news stations are using with regards to this. Navy boats "captured" when in reality it was "detained". You might think the distinction is subtle, but it isn't and was very much intentional
Yeah, when I read "captured" I thought it a hostile act, reading the actual events mellowed it out so much it's almost a non story other than showing Iran is willing to be much more cooperative and open with the US.

If two Iranian naval ships wandered into US waters, what do you think the US response would be?

Help them fix their motor and let them go on their merry way without any other interaction whatsoever?

Of course not. They would be boarded, detained, questioned, investigated, possibly interrogated... for starters.

The way the US media handled this is just deplorable. This situation is exactly why I've been done with US mainstream news outlets for a long time.

The coverage is just humiliating.

Most outlets are flat out lying as they're neglecting to even mention that the US vessels entered Iranian waters. They're being extremely jingoistic and beating war drums over what is really, clearly, a non-issue. They're spinning this as Iran making the US look "weak" (and Obama as well) because diplomacy actually took place here.

It's really sickening.

pgtl_10

CHEEZMO™;192028115 said:
"Because it's dark" is a pretty silly reason to not release them immediately, probably a delaying tactic to wind people up or something. If they had actually been doing something untoward then Tehran would be making a lot more noise.

Between this and the rocket thing a few days ago, probably the Pasdaran trying to make a point/send a message.

Not really. It is easier to see what's going on during the day. Probably a security protocol.

Jenov

Awesome that this was handled quickly and without any incident. +1 Obama and improved relations with Iran. Less ammo for the GOP is always good.

nib95

Banned
Glad it was dealt with quickly, and as such more of a middle finger to those Republican war and fearmongers.

dabig2

The way the US media handled this is just deplorable. This situation is exactly why I've been done with US mainstream news outlets for a long time.

Most outlets are flat out lying as they're neglecting to even mention that the US vessels entered Iranian waters. They're being extremely jingoistic and beating war drums over what is really, clearly, a non-issue. They're spinning this as Iran making the US look "weak" (and Obama as well) because diplomacy actually took place here.

It's really sickening.

This is the real story here, how the US mainstream media handled this. Like you said, it's absolutely disgraceful and pitiful.

pgtl_10

It's really sickening.

http://time.com/4180372/u-s-sailors-freed-by-iran-but-their-humiliation-persists/

It takes political skill to know how and when to react to a military provocation. The Obama Administration, intent on sealing a deal limiting Iran’s nuclear ambitions, plainly wants to do nothing to derail that achievement. The key question is why Iran didn’t feel the same way.

Seriously the media should be ashamed. OMG Iranians video taped the incident!

Can you blame Iran? The US media likes to make stuff up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom