• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

20 forgotten videogame franchises that deserve a comeback!

RAIDEN1

The big question: by whom?

Any modern dev that picks up those franchises would manage to make something so bad that people would want those franchises dead again.
That's true....these days Konami are like Sega...ie a shadow of their former selves and likely not going back to how they were anytime soon...

RAIDEN1

Theres only like 10 game devs i even trust anymore to make above average games and they’re all busy
I think it would take the "true fans" to truly deliver a comeback...bit like how Prey did a great comeback for Predator...it took someone who really understood the franchise to bring back its mojo

I think it would take the "true fans" to truly deliver a comeback...bit like how Prey did a great comeback for Predator...it took someone who really understood the franchise to bring back its mojo

Best case scenario we see a lot new devs spring up this generation, hungry to make a name for themselves. Something like Plucky Squire

Shifty

Yeah, all franchises outsourced to western devs failed hard.

Castlevania
They were so close with LoS :messenger_frowning_ solid combat, gorgeous environments, Patrick Stewart, that massive sequel tease.

Then they pissed it off a cliff by passing up the opportunity to make 3D SotN in favour of... fucking car parks.

Angry Fuck Me GIF

Yeah, all franchises outsourced to western devs failed hard.

Castlevania, Silent Hill, Lost Planet, Dead Rising, DmC, etc

If the original devs are not going to work on it + with the required freedom needed to make those franchises successful again then there's no point.
Facts.

I'm not as big of a Japanophile (I just made that word up?) as some on this forum, but you can't deny this. Even Capcom, when they started getting in bed with Western devs in the late 00s/early 10s, put out some shit-tastic games.

Thankfully they snapped back to their senses and ditched trying to go for that Western game design.

fatmarco

Yeah if an IP is currently dead, its likely better that way.

You can't trust a new developer to resurrect an old IP, especially with how hard game development is these days, and given how they're likely the only options available its not worth it.

Sometimes dead, is better.

Last edited:
I would go for old school run'n'gun games like Ikari Warriors or Commando or drive'n'gun like Jackal. Even something like the classic Gauntlet with huge coop etc.

The Ascent recently is basically a modern day version of this genre so I'm a happy gamer and even had 2 buds to play it coop with but I'd pay for classic top down style run'n'gun games for sure.

Last edited:
Rygar? Holy hell i had completely forgotten about that game. Spent the whole summer playing it. Loved Every minute of it. An adventure game but also had some RPG elements if I remember correctly. The gameplay was fluid. It just was just fun all around.

So hell yes, they should bring it back. Never played the sequel. Wonder if it's good.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
-goldenaxe ( developed by from software with miyazaki as director)
-altered beast (developed by SSM and directed by corey barlog)
-driveclub 2( developed by the creators of the original)
-silent hill(developed by team silent)
-resistance4(developed by bungie)

get these done and this will be the GOAT generation

Dorohedoro

A third Manhunt had a snowball's chance in hell of happening even before Rockstar allegedly became more friendly and progressive, let alone now. And even if they did make it, it would've been censored up the ass like Manhunt 2 anyway. It's better off staying dead at this point.

I would'be replaced that with Syphon Filter on the list, and I'm not even asking for new entries but I'd love remakes of the first two.

ChazAshley

Gold Member
A first person or GTA style Oregon Trail would be interesting. Hunt for food whenever, "trade" with other NPCs or just kill and steal from them, crossing rivers would be a mini game. Heck just make it a MMORPG.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
tlY0Tfe.jpg

For me it's got to be this. It had a terrible reboot attempt in 2010, so it just hits that decade requirement.

But man I would love to see him return with a good entry in the vein of Sonic Mania.

Last edited:

PillsOff

Banned
Is this someone stupid enough to ask 2022 for reboots n sequels for their beloved franchises?

Is life taught you fucking nothing?

chixdiggit

"What we really need is a modern SSX game that tries to recapture the magic of SSX Tricky. We need a modern SSX game that is fast, wild, stylish, and fun. Even at the height of extreme sports gaming, there weren’t many extreme sports games that offered what the best SSX titles did. Now, those games feel downright magical."

This is the best point of the whole article.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Yassss.

I'm legit surprised Shinning Force hasn't come back. Tactical rpgs seem to be on something of a resurgence. Maybe it will?

Wasnt there a questionable mobile game announced that people shit on but later said might be good?

EDIT: Nevermind

Last edited:

Scotty W

It is interesting that when Goldeneye was in development, no one cared. It released to total silence and then grew up into a monster.

THEN everyone cared about James Bond. But rather than ensuring that the quality stayed high, the owners of the license got greedy and doomed us to 25 years of mediocre sequels.

RAIDEN1

It is interesting that when Goldeneye was in development, no one cared. It released to total silence and then grew up into a monster.

THEN everyone cared about James Bond. But rather than ensuring that the quality stayed high, the owners of the license got greedy and doomed us to 25 years of mediocre sequels.
GoldenEye is up there as one of the greatest if not THE greatest James Bond games ever released..

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
-goldenaxe ( developed by from software with miyazaki as director)
-altered beast (developed by SSM and directed by corey barlog)
-driveclub 2( developed by the creators of the original)
-silent hill(developed by team silent)
-resistance4(developed by bungie)

get these done and this will be the GOAT generation
Going to cherry pick Altered Beast and Silent Hill (developed by team silent) out of here. Just start with those two and that'll stir things up in a good way!

Lasha

I would love a modern Bushido Blade. Duels never got old because you could lose to a worse player by making a single mistake. I still try and have at least one tournament per year with my local. Games like Chivalry or For Honor don't hit the same.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Wasnt there a questionable mobile game announced that people shit on but later said might be good?

EDIT: Nevermind

I didn't know about this, but also I am happy it died, better to live on as a glorious legend than resurrected a shell.

Top Bottom