• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

20 years ago Def Leppard changed their spots with "Slang"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cranster

Banned
Def_Leppard_-_Slang.jpg

20 years ago today to be exact, time sure flies. This album shocked me in 1996 when I irst gave it a listen and for awhile I never really listened to it much, after a few years though it became one of my favourite albums though as it has aged extremily well. A bit of backstory on the album...

Between the releases of Retro Active and Slang, Def Leppard endured hardships including guitarist Phil Collen's divorce from actress Jacqueline Collen, bassist Rick Savage's battle with Bell's Palsy and the death of his father, and the arrests of both drummer Rick Allen and lead singer Joe Elliott for spousal abuse and assault, respectively. Though the band says Adrenalize was recorded during a bleaker time, the absence of Mutt Lange (for the first time on a Def Leppard record since 1981) made it possible for the band to show what they were really feeling. Says Joe Elliott, "There was a period with Mutt where if you came out with anything slightly negative, it was 'Fuck it!' and it was gone!" Continues Phil Collen, "We've all got personal things that have happened during the recording of Slang, and we've just ploughed on and some of it has come out on the record."

Doing without the services of Mutt Lange, the band changed another habit by recording together as a band, in a townhouse in Marbella, Spain. Slang would feature less production in favour of a more organic sound, catalysed by drummer Rick Allen's reversion to a semi-acoustic kit. "We'd got so sick of recording the old way. We didn't want to do it any more. We wanted the music to be more personalised and let the character of the individuals to come out," explains Rick Savage.

Tracks:
Truth?
Turn To Dust
Slang
All I Want Is Everything
Work it Out
Breath A Sigh
Deliver Me
Gift of Flesh
Blood Runs Cold
Where Does Love Go When It Dies
Pearl of Euphoria

Does anyone here remember this album? Any appreciations for Def Leppard attempting something different or criticisms for changing their sound?

Cranster

Banned
Is this like Megadeth's Risk album?
In a sense, though realisticly I'd compare it more to Nine Lives by Aerosmith as Def Leppard have had great success blending pop with hard rock since Pyromania. Slang while not as produced as previous albums is alot more experimental than Risk.

Livingskeletons

If I pulled that off, would you die?
In a sense, though realisticly I'd compare it more to Nine Lives by Aerosmith as Def Leppard have had great success blending pop with hard rock since Pyromania. Slang while not as produced as previous albums is alot more experimental than Risk.

Weird era for those older 80s bands for sure, some couldn't make that transition.

D

Deleted member 594614

Unconfirmed Member
I was obsesses with them from 80's up till Hysteria.
I missed this record completely. In 96 I was in highschool grunge was in full swing.

All I remember was Joe always looked bloated and sticky when they came back in the 90's

Lomax

I was obsesses with them from 80's up till Hysteria.
I missed this record completely. In 96 I was in highschool grunge was in full swing.

All I remember was Joe always looked bloated and sticky when they came back in the 90's

Yep, that's basically my story too. Def Leppard was my first "favorite band" starting in the Hysteria era... but then grunge hit and I sort of lost track of them, and never really paid any attention to anything after Adrenalize. Clearly I need to check some of this stuff out.

t-storm

This is surprisingly good, I'm gonna have to check this out.
I love, love, LOVE Slang. All of the tracks are solid, I love the way this album sounds. It tells a story. Gonna have to dig it out and listen to it again this weekend thanks to this thread.

Ettie

Man, I loved Nine Lives. I skipped this album completely. Last one I heard anything from was the one with Paper Sun on it in the 2000s.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I was a big fan until Slang, which just did absolutely nothing for me at the time of release. I haven't listened to it since. Maybe now is the time.

Mikef2000

I was obsessed with Def Leppard ever since I heard Photograph for the first time in 1983. Both Pyromania and Hysteria are complete masterpieces IMO. Adrenalize was awesome also. All that said, I am well aware that many die hard Lepp fans did not like Slang that much because it was such a big departure from their sound.

But not for me, I was blown away by Slang( my favorite track was Turn to Dust). I loved that they were trying out new things, and letting their music be influenced by other genres. Too bad it didn't sell that we'll and they went back to their "old sound".

After that I moved on and Pearl Jam became my favorite band of all time, mostly because PJ has been constantly evolving their sound and they are not afraid to experiment.

I am glad to see some appreciation for Slang.

Crazy. I'm a huge Def Leppard fan from the early '80s. I can describe specific moments of my life when I was listening to certain Leppard songs. But I don't think I've ever heard of this album. I thought they sold out with Hysteria.

Bitanator

Crazy. I'm a huge Def Leppard fan from the early '80s. I can describe specific moments of my life when I was listening to certain Leppard songs. But I don't think I've ever heard of this album. I thought they sold out with Hysteria.

Pyromania killed the NWOBHM era, you could say they sold out with that. Hysteria is a great piece as well I don't think they sold out with it.

Cranster

Banned
Doesn't the arrest for spousal abuse and assault bother you?
Not really, with Rick it was complicated as he was undiagnosed with PTSD at that time for a bit, he does alot of good charity work aswell. With Joe he was never charged with any crime.

Man, I loved Nine Lives. I skipped this album completely. Last one I heard anything from was the one with Paper Sun on it in the 2000s.
Yeah paper Sun was on Euphoria which was put out in 1999, it was more of a return to the classic Def Leppard sound. Outside of that they Released X in 2002, YEAH! in 2006, Songs From The Sparkle Lounge in 2008, and they released imho their best album in awhile just last year with a self titled album.

I was a big fan until Slang, which just did absolutely nothing for me at the time of release. I haven't listened to it since. Maybe now is the time.
It was the case for alot of fans, though to be honest I think there would have been a backlash no matter what they came out with at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom