• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

35 Years Ago: Def Leppard Release the Pivotal ‘High ‘n’ Dry’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cranster

Banned
DL_high_n_dry-500x500.png

Before Def Leppard sold 25 million copies of Hysteria, even before they sold 10 million units of Pyromania, they sold next to nothing of an album many devoted fans consider their very best: 1981’s pivotal High ‘n’ Dry. It didn’t earn platinum certification until more than a decade later, but High ‘n’ Dry is where Def Leppard came of age and established their signature sound, under the helpful tutelage of super producer Robert John “Mutt” Lange. And the rest was history. More here.

Tracklisting:

1. Let It Go
2. Another Hit And Run
3. High 'n' Dry (Saturday Night)
4. Bringin' On The Heartbreak
5. Switch 625
6. You Got Me Runnin'
7. Lady Strange
8. On Through The Night
9. Mirror Mirror (Look Into My Eyes)
10. No No No
11. Bringin' On The Hearbreak (1984 remix)
12. Me And My Wine (B-side and added on 1984 re-issue)

Out of all of Def Leppard's earlier albums High "n" Dry is the the one to go to if you are looking for straight ahead rock in the vein of AC/DC and other similar groups. Pyromania would be another obvious choice as is their debut album but where Pyromania's biggest criticism is that some feel it's overproduced their debut (On Through The Night suffers from lack of production at times. Still, it's hard to believe this album is 35 years old now. Any other fans of this album on GAF?

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
The best Def Leppard release. Wall-to-wall hardhitting great songs. Similar to AC/DC but more complex, varied (there's a ballad and non-sexual songs like Another Hit & Run) and heavier. Excellent dual-guitar attack.

Cranster

Banned
Big fan of the band. Agreed that this is a great album, but Pyro and Hyst are better, IMO.
I think it depends on how you look at. There is no doubt though that Pyromania/Hysteria are much more varied, experimental and arguably better produced and written. High "n" Dry though is still a fantastic Hard Rock/Heavy Metal album though.

The best Def Leppard release. Wall-to-wall hardhitting great songs. Similar to AC/DC but more complex, varied (there's a ballad and non-sexual songs like Another Hit & Run) and heavier. Excellent dual-guitar attack.
I wouldn't call it their best imo, but it's interesting as this album show's that even though Def Leppard were younger and less experienced than their peers they seemed to be in alot of ways better all around musicians.

Kibbles

I love the video for Me and My Wine. Wasn't that a bside for a HnD single? Edit: lttp yup.

Saw them at Summerfest they were fantastic. Not many high n dry but they have too many hits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom