• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

25 Years Ago: Def Leppard Beat the Grunge Clock With ‘Adrenalize’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cranster

Banned
Def_Leppard_-_Adrenalize.jpg

Def Leppard had always aimed to be a big deal. Their iconic 1987 album, Hysteria, had been a giant of an LP, breaking sales (and length) records, and propelling them to where they’d always wanted to be. Singer Joe Elliott said of their fourth record, “We set out to be the biggest band in the world. And for a short while, we were.”

The momentum built by the British band had propelled them through the end of the ‘80s and into the ‘90s – but things were different by then. Musical tastes were changing; relied-upon colleagues were looking in other directions, and guitarist Steve Clark was dead. That was the backdrop to what would become Def Leppard’s fifth album, Adrenalize, which was released on March 31, 1992.

On Jan. 8, 1991, Clark’s girlfriend found him dead on his sofa. He’d suffered compression of the brain stem the previous day, brought on by alcohol and pills. Def Leppard had faced tragedy before, most notably the 1984 car crash in which drummer Rick Allen lost his left arm. “Whenever anything negative happens to us, it always pulls us together, personally and musically,” Allen said after Clark’s death. “You batter on with the record and it takes your mind off whatever bad is happening.”

So that’s just what they did, operating as a four-piece, and leaving guitarist Phil Collen to play both his own parts and those of the much-missed Clark. The pair had influenced each other throughout the band’s career, with Collen’s Van Halen style set against Clark’s Jimmy Page influences. “It was never a competition,” Collen told SteveClarkGuitar.com. “It wasn’t like a lead player and a rhythm player – we were making an orchestrated sound.”

Collen was forced to channel his late bandmate during the sessions. He described it as “the weirdest thing ever.” “It was like talking to a ghost,” he noted. “I’d done my parts, and I’d have to learn Steve’s parts as he played them. Although he didn’t play on it, he did through me. It was schizophrenic; his personality would come through.”

The LP was dedicated to the memory of Clark and contained the track “White Lightning,” which had started off as a Clark-Collen collaboration but eventually became a song about the band’s fallen comrade. It was one of the last pieces to be completed. “Let’s Get Rocked” is said to have been written afterward as a way of lightening the mood in the studio.

Savage later confirmed it wasn’t his favorite Def Leppard album. “We ended up making a record almost by numbers,” he said. “We were in a daze. We were numb. It wasn’t coming from the same place any more, through tiredness, through the shock of losing Steve, and from confusion over what kind of album we should be making.”
They knew the world was changing. “The fans that we had on the last record may no longer be fans on the new record,” Savage said during an interview at the time. “It’s something that every band has to contend with. You never know how your new album is going to be accepted. You never know what’s around the corner – especially when you’re in Def Leppard.”

Adrenalize was the last time Lange worked with the band. And it turned out to be the last album categorized as “glam metal” to achieve chart success before the musical revolution of the early ‘90s. It topped the U.S. and U.K. charts and sold more than three million copies in the U.S. during its first two months on sale. It kept Bruce Springsteen’s Human Touch off the top spot, while the Boss’ simultaneous release Lucky Town got to third position. It was also the last Def Leppard album to achieve large-scale mainstream success.
anyway.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/def-leppard-adrenalize/

Tracks

Let's Get Rocked
Heaven Is
Make Love Like A Man
Tonight
White Lightning
Stand Up (Kick Love In To Motion)
Personal Property
Have you Ever Needed Someone So Bad
I Wanna Touch U
Tear It Down

It's hard to fathom that this album is 25 years old now. I was 4 years old 1992 and the music video for Let's Get Rocked blew my mind at that time. I was hooked and instantly became a lifelong fan of the band and their music. Let alone it was inspiring to see a band carry on after not one but two tragedies that would have broke most bands/artists of their caliber apart.

Cranster

Banned
Listened to it last year for the first time ever, and loved it. One of my all time favorites.
It's a nostalgic album for me as I was exposed to it by my parents when I was 4. I remember watching Reboot aswell and always noticing the similarities between it and the Lets Get Rocked music video visual style only to find out later the company that created Reboot did that music video.

n64coder

Listened to it last year for the first time ever, and loved it. One of my all time favorites.

They were a big part of my 80s but I don't think I know this album. I'll probably recognize some songs once I start playing it. Great band.

GhaleonEB

Watching the Let's Get Rocked video - I remember the video, with the CG kid running around. I don't remember song at all, though. I think this was from around the time I stopped watching MTV, but the video stuck with me for some reason. IIRC they said the kid was inspired by The Simpsons.

I remember being very disappointed when it it was initially released, I mean up until thne we had some damn classic albums. Just seemed unfocused.

By the way my all time favorite Album of theirs is

Def_Leppard_-_On_Through_the_Night.jpg

Watching the Let's Get Rocked video - I remember the video, with the CG kid running around. I don't remember song at all, though. I think this was from around the time I stopped watching MTV, but the video stuck with me for some reason. IIRC they said the kid was inspired by The Simpsons.

It was a bad video with really bad inspiration. I mean a rip off of Bart..........I remember kind of cringing before cringing was a thing.

Coming off of Hysteria, this release felt uninspired and by the numbers.

But man, Hysteria was unfucking believable for its time. I can still sing every single song on that album to this day.

I was huge Def Lep fan in the 80s, but yeah by the time this album came out I had moved on from Hair Metal.
Then they hired Vivian Campbell of Dio and Whitesnake. Vivian used to SHRED, but now he takes a backseat to Phil. Such a shame. I never seen a guitarist just throw away his talents like that just to get a paycheck.

Xyrmellon

It's their worst album in my opinion. Way overproduced and synthetic sounding. In alot of ways it sounds like they were trying to make "Hysteria 2", and while I don't fault them for that it just didn't work. Also, Joe Eliot has never been a lyrical master, but "Make Love Like a Man" is just ugh..

That said, they're one of my favorite bands.

Weak follow up to Hysteria and Pyromania. Although those were hard to act to follow.

It's not as bad as Slang though.

Stand Up is my fav song on it.

Cranster

Banned
I was huge Def Lep fan in the 80s, but yeah by the time this album came out I had moved on from Hair Metal.
Then they hired Vivian Campbell of Dio and Whitesnake. Vivian used to SHRED, but now he takes a backseat to Phil. Such a shame. I never seen a guitarist just throw away his talents like that just to get a paycheck.
To be honest though Def Leppard were never really hair metal. They started the blueprint with Pyromania but they were more in line with bands like Queen and Led Zeppelin. As for Vivian he wanted out of Heavy Metal after getting screwed over by Dio and Dio's wife. If anything he seems to be a perfect fit with Def Leppard as he is a decent vocalist and get;s along with the band really well.

Yeah Slang is when the Grunge Clock kicked them in the ass. They tried doing grungy, but it was just BAD.
I disagree. Slang is highly underrated. If it was another band it would have been huge. But at that time Def Leppard would have been criticized for anything they put out.

To be honest though Def Leppard were never really hair metal. They started the blueprint with Pyromania but they were more in line with bands like Queen and Led Zeppelin. As for Vivian he wanted out of Heavy Metal after getting screwed over by Dio and Dio's wife. If anything he seems to be a perfect fit with Def Leppard as he is a decent vocalist and get;s along with the band really well.

You're right they weren't fully Hair Metal. To be precise they were part of the NWOBH movement, especially with On Through the Night and High'n'Dry. But let's face it, they did veer towards Hair Metal as the 80s wore on.
Vivian was actually in Whitesnake when he left for Def Lep.

Hysteria>>>>than every other Def Leppard album. Its production and songcraft is just amazing. I still rock it every once in a while.

Herne

I can't agree with people saying this and Slang were Leppard's worst albums - that accolade definitely has to go to X. Adrenalize is a pretty good album, though a bit of a letdown after Pyromania and Hysteria, but following those albums up with anything while having lost a member of the band was always going to be a tall order. Adrenalize has some really embarrassing lyrics and song titles pointed out above, but the sound is still there and I love it. White Lightning in particular is a fantastic track.

I do agree, though, that Slang is really underrated. It's a different sound with the grunge influence crossed with a lot of Indian instruments being played, along with Rick Allen using an acoustic kit. It was too late to cash in on the grunge craze and didn't sound anything like their previous (or later) albums, so I'm not surprised it didn't do well. I still think it's a fantastic piece of work, though.

Still listening to Def Leppard to this day.

lazygecko

You're right they weren't fully Hair Metal. To be precise they were part of the NWOBH movement, especially with On Through the Night and High'n'Dry. But let's face it, they did veer towards Hair Metal as the 80s wore on.
Vivian was actually in Whitesnake when he left for Def Lep.

Their 80's albums were produced by the same guy who did Shania Twain. And honestly, when you think about it the two don't sound that different from eachother.

Their 80's albums were produced by the same guy who did Shania Twain. And honestly, when you think about it the two don't sound that different from eachother.

Robert Mutt Lange. He also did AC/DC and Foreigner. He had a specific guitar sound to all his productions. Then yeah he produced Shania (got married to her and divorced too). He's probably one of the wealthiest producers in the industry. Not sure what he's doing these days though.

DeadTrees

Robert Mutt Lange. He also did AC/DC and Foreigner. He had a specific guitar sound to all his productions. Then yeah he produced Shania (got married to her and divorced too). He's probably one of the wealthiest producers in the industry. Not sure what he's doing these days though.

Co-produced Drones, not that there was anything Mutt Lange-y about its sound.

Cranster

Banned
He also did The Cars 4th album Heartbeat City and some of it was a blueprint for Hysteria from a production standpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom