• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2005-2007 average review scores by publishers

Did a search, couldn't find anything.

Next-gen looks at the average review scores from 2005 and 2007. Unlike EA's chart, these are properly scaled and includes Atlus as well. S-E is missing from the 2007 and 2005 charts and Microsoft from the 2006 chart.

by-the-numbers-005_html_m391f4a65.gif

by-the-numbers-005_html_m3160f27b.gif

by-the-numbers-005_html_m289f3695.gif

There are some other differences between my figures and those that EA showed, and I have some theories about those. Consider the case of Activision, which earned a 66 percent in the EA chart and a 62 percent in mine. First, Metacritic has some different review information from GameRankings, so it is possible that one site or the other is missing some reviews. Second, I considered games with as few as 1 review score; one could certainly take issue with that, since it will generally drag down publishers of low-visibility licensed games. Finally, it isn't clear whether EA included all of a publisher's subsidiaries, like the Activision Value division of Activision. I took the time to group these subsidiaries into the average for the larger publisher, thus Activision Value got included with Activision, Global Star Software got included with Take Two Interactive, and so on.
http://next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9393&Itemid=2

Lobster

Banned
See that Nintendo? Releasing Mario Party games do affect you in some ways.

edit: lol at SEGA's consistency.

Grayman

It would be interesting to see pubs broken down by the scores that made the average. Sega probably has a lot of 7s and 8s while ubi has 9s and 4s.

SunkisTim535 said:
Did Square Enix release any games in 2007? :\

In the US? Plenty.

Final Fantasy Tactics PSP
Front Mission 1st
Heroes of Mana
FF XII: Revenant Wings
DQ: Monster Jokers
Final Fantasy I & II PSP

Bildi

Grayman said:
It would be interesting to see pubs broken down by the scores that made the average. Sega probably has a lot of 7s and 8s while ubi has 9s and 4s.
Yeah, Ubi seem to have either very good or very crap games - I have no doubt that if Ubi backed off on the crap, they'd jump up near the top. I suspect that could be said of many publishers though.

Epiphyte

How on Earth is Lucasarts topping the charts?

Aside from Mercenaries in '05 I can't remember the last decent game they put out.

C4Lukins

Epiphyte said:
How on Earth is Lucasarts topping the charts?

Aside from Mercenaries in '05 I can't remember the last decent game they put out.

That is pretty much probably the average of the various Lego Star Wars games and I guess Battlefront for PSP.

Epiphyte

C4Lukins said:
That is pretty much probably the average of the various Lego Star Wars games and I guess Battlefront for PSP.
I can't believe I forgot those

My brain just automatically thinks Traveler's Tales

C4Lukins said:
Don't forget KOTOR II. The PC version came out 2005.

edit: not that it matters. Next-gen forgot to include them.

Iksenpets

Banned
I was going to ask what drug MS down under a 70, since I couldn't remember any really big stinkers from them. Then I googled it and realized I had forgotten all about Vampire Rain and Tenchu Z.

Tiktaalik

MisterHero said:
It's amazing with all of Nintendo's output that they are still way up there. :D

Keep it up Nintendo! :D

Yeah Nintendo's numbers are pretty impressive considering the amount of games and wide variety of games they release. Likewise with Capcom, which am fuck awesome.

Tiktaalik

grandjedi6 said:
I really hope you are Canadian

I am... Is that not a C in most countries? Hell... in the Engineering program I went to in University I think a 65 was the bottom rung of a B.

beef3483

Tiktaalik said:
I am... Is that not a C in most countries? Hell... in the Engineering program I went to in University I think a 65 was the bottom rung of a B.

And was B a passing grade? Because I want to go to that school.

I'm American and we usually do it like this:

100-90 is an A
89-80 is a B
79-70 is a C
69-60 is a D
and so on so forth.

Tristam

beef3483 said:

100-90 is an A
89-80 is a B
79-70 is a C
69-60 is a D
and so on so forth.

American universities (and especially courses in biological/physical/mathematical sciences) work about the same way as he mentioned -- the curve is so steep that even a 60% is a solid C.

Where I used to study, Sega would be getting a solid C. D is lowest passing grade above 40. Below 40 is F = fail.

As far as consistency goes, I like to think of Atlus more than Sega. Namco (ugh) is pretty consistent too, below Sega.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
To put this in English: If you're trying to compare multiple data points that are themselves averages of a widely variable number of data points, you need to use bayesian weighting to do so in a fair manner. You can't just go "HIS AVERAGE AM BIGGER THAN HERS!!!!!"

Scoring Method: ((number of games / (number of games+threshold)) x game's mean) + ((number of games / (number of games+ threshold)) x overall multi-publisher mean)

(Threshold is the minimum number of reviews it takes to be counted)

Personally I hope for a brighter future where sites on the web that want to do numerical analysis ground it in some sort of mathematical theory rather than pissing into the wind and calling it art.

Walshicus

beef3483 said:

100-90 is an A
89-80 is a B
79-70 is a C
69-60 is a D
and so on so forth.

My university was thus:
70+ = A / 1st
60+ = B / 2:1
50+ = C / 2:2
40+ = D / 3rd
<40 = Fail

Also, why is Microsoft missing from 2006?

TheExodu5

Banned
If only Lair wasn't released in 2007 :(.

Also, I think they should mention the number of games each publisher released, or maybe the number of new/old IPs in their lineup.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Thanks for the feedback guys. For all the fanboy love that can be had from the graphs of the scores, my favorite graph of the whole article was this one:
sp7sw5.jpg

That bottom group -- the ones publishing 1-5 games per year -- is fascinating. There are some really odd ways that companies seem to come to publish games. More interesting was how Nintendo and Sony have dropped their output and moved from the 31-50 games per year group down to the 16-30 group. Overall, despite the consolidation, there still seems to be plenty of room for smaller publishers in the industry -- at least that's my feeling after spending time looking at the data.

Again, thanks.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Interesting chart, although its based on flawed data. I realize they're all based on the same flawed data, but still. This is about as accurate and representative as Metacritic. A collection of opinions, really.

Good looking charts though.

C4Lukins

Kafel said:
What did Microsoft release in 2005 ?

Kameo, PDZ, PGR3 (published I believe), Age of Empires 3, Fable Lost Chapters maybe? I am sure there are other assorted PC titles and such I am forgetting.

TJ Spyke

Kafel said:
What did Microsoft release in 2005 ?

Kameo: Elements of Power (Xbox 360)
Perfect Dark Zero (Xbox 360)
Project Gotham Racing 3 (Xbox 360)
Conker: Live and Reloaded (Xbox)
Fable: The Lost Chapters (Xbox)
Forza Motorsport (Xbox)
Halo 2 Multiplayer Map Pack (Xbox)
Jade Empire (Xbox)
Kingdom Under Fire: Heroes (Xbox)