• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2005's Game Critics Awards Winners

Ark-AMN

Banned
For those of us who were fortunate not to watch Spike TV: (they weren't listed in the other thread either) http://gc.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=5183

Best of Show
Spore
(Maxis/Electronic Arts for PC)

Best Original Game
Spore

Best Hardware/Peripheral
PlayStation 3
(Sony Computer Entertainment / Nvidia / IBM / Toshiba)

Best Console Game
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
(Nintendo for GameCube)

Best Handheld Game
Nintendogs
(Nintendo for Nintendo DS)

Best Action Game
F.E.A.R.
(Monolith/Vivendi-Universal Games for PC)

Best Action/Adventure Game
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
(Nintendo for GameCube)

Best Fighting Game
Soul Calibur III
(Namco for PlayStation 2)

Best Role Playing Game
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
(Bethesda Software for PC / Xbox 360)

Best Racing Game
Burnout Revenge
(Criterion Games/Electronic Arts for PlayStation 2, Xbox)

Best Simulation Game
Spore

Best Sports Game
Madden NFL 06
(EA Tiburon/EA Sports for All Platforms)

Best Strategy Game
Company of Heroes
(Relic/THQ for PC)

Best Puzzle/Trivia/Parlor Game
We Love Katamari

(Namco for PlayStation 2)

Best Online Multiplayer
Battlefield 2
(Digital Illusions/Electronic Arts for PC)

Special Commendation for Graphics
NON-PLAYABLE GAMES ELIGIBLE IN THIS CATEGORY
Killzone
(Guerilla Games/Sony Computer Entertainment Europe for PS3)

I'm suprised because I agree with almost all the choices. Especially happy that F.E.A.R. and Oblivion both got their deserved respect, on top of of course Zelda and Spore.

DMczaf

Best Sports Game
Madden NFL 06
(EA Tiburon/EA Sports for All Platforms)

madden_zoom.jpg

"Suck it, 2K Sports!"

M3wThr33

Banned
Wait, something on SpikeTV acknowledged Nintendo? Extraordinary!

I remember at the last VGAs, the racing category was short (4 nominees, not 5) and didn't include F-Zero GX or Mario Kart: Double Dash.

Actually these are the official E3 awards, but SpikeTV somehow got the scoop on the top 5 award winners, announcing them tonight.

Doube D

Killzone

BWHAHAHAH, suck it up xbots... :D

Oh and HELL YEA on spore winning overall over zelda. DAMN, people actually DO have taste!

Speevy

Banned
Doube D said:
BWHAHAHAH, suck it up xbots... :D

Oh and HELL YEA on spore winning overall over zelda. DAMN, people actually DO have taste!

So which is your favorite console manufacturer? I'm on pins and needles...

Porridge

For sheezy, Speevy

Spore's undeniably an amazing concept, but still, it's just flat out wrong to vote a video clip over any playable videogame

Speevy

Banned
I'll bet a version of Spore gets "Sporeted" to next generation consoles, like the Sims games or something.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Best Hardware/Peripheral
PlayStation 3
(Sony Computer Entertainment / Nvidia / IBM / Toshiba)

Best Handheld Game
Nintendogs
(Nintendo for Nintendo DS)

Killzone

I pretty much agree with everything said, even the choices that I quoted...but this easily has the makings of a long long thread. The only thing missing are some Perfect Dark Zero screens. :D

Wait a minute...I don't give a shit about Nintendogs, maybe I don't agree with everything they said.

thorns

Banned
2004 best hardware: psp
2003 best hardware: eyetoy
2002 best hardware: eyetoy
2001 best hardware: gamecube (also best of show)
2000 best hardware: xbox
1999 best hardware: dreamcast

anyone see a pattern here? :p

Andy787

Banned
I agree with every choice, as far as I can remember. I just wish there were more catagories, to give more games some spotlight.

geoffmk

Geoff Keighley
Spore was definitely playable for the judges -- some judges spent a full half-hour playing through all parts of the game.

Borys

Banned
Great awards all around. I could argue with PS3 winning over 360 (it wasn't playable after all) but FEAR, Zelda and Spore getting the praise they deserve is righteous.

Gears look good but it's a 2006 title, CoD 2 looks atrocious (what did they do to CoD?!?!?) while FEAR will kick some ass in a few months!

Spore, F.E.A.R., Battlefield 2, Oblivion

Go PC gaming!

AniHawk

thorns said:

Yes, the years increase as you move up!

Amir0x

Banned
Marconelly said:
Neither was Xbox 360, really. They pretty much used Macs and PCs to demonstrate games.

This is a very weak defense. Xbox 360 games were playable, PS3 games weren't. No need to qualify it, you can still think PS3 had the best show even without playable games. It just depends on what aspects you hold up.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
It's not too late to get on the Spore bandwagon friends, because when that game rolls into town during 2006 you're going to wish you were an early supporter!

MbGCaM

Killzone

WTF?!

thorns said:

When people see new hardware they get excited?

I mean what else would people have voted on those years? It's not like there are a ton of cantidates for new hardware every year.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
geoffmk said:
Spore was definitely playable for the judges -- some judges spent a full half-hour playing through all parts of the game.

Oh, one of the judge's graces us with his presence! (I'm assuming you're Geoff Keighley, correct me if I'm wrong. But if you are him, good work with the show last night. I thought you did a job, except for that awful Ghost Recon 3 part... I still have nightmares. :/)

I'll tell you now, Spore is going to be another colossal disappointment. It's joining the ranks of Homeworld, Project Ego, Sims Online, and Black and White as an ambitious PC game which has a "Great" E3, win a ton of awards there, and deliver on only a fraction of the promises in the sinal product. Honestly, why can't they just go with the sure thing for once? They've snubbed Zelda multiple times, including rather hilariously in the first GCA where Ocarina of Time won nothing at all.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
typhonsentra said:
I'll tell you now, Spore is going to be another colossal disappointment. It's joining the ranks of Homeworld, Project Ego, Sims Online, and Black and White as an ambitious PC game which has a "Great" E3, win a ton of awards there, and deliver on only a fraction of the promises in the sinal product. Honestly, why can't they just go with the sure thing for once? They've snubbed Zelda multiple times, including rather hilariously in the first GCA where Ocarina of Time won nothing at all.

Because our eyes are bigger than our stomachs! ;)

Seriously, though, I'm extremely confidant in Spore. Zelda was fun, but so expected. It was one of the best console games of the show along with Okami, but Spore is just an impressive concept, and what has was executed BCD for members of the press was great. It is one of the only times in recent memory a game has floored me.

acidviper

Banned
Wario64 said:
wait, nothing for x360? NOTHING??

No exclusive x360 shit though. Even Dreamcast won some shit. Hell they owned E3 awards in 2001. So we'll have to see if tech demos and 10 minute segments of games will hold up.

acidviper said:
No exclusive x360 shit though. Even Dreamcast won some shit. Hell they owned E3 awards in 2001. So we'll have to see if tech demos and 10 minute segments of games will hold up.

You would have to think that right behind Killzone was Gears of War.

Then you go to playable games and having games running at 20-30% makes it tough for them to impress. And this is different from games that are only 20-30% complete as is normal at E3. At least those are running on actual hardware so that you can tell something about the experience. The 360 playable demos would have had to overcomplete imcompleteness of both hardware and software.

But again, this is just about show awards and the key point being that it's a dog and pony show, where the developers have to decide if they want to "show" or to have a game ready for release.

Top Bottom