• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2009: The Year In Music (Post Your Top Picks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I didn't listen to a lot of new music this year, but I my top picks are definitely Raekwon's Only Built For Cuban Lynx II and The XX's debut. The new Ghostface was pretty good, "She's a Killah" is one of my favorite songs of the year. The new Grizzly bear, Antlers, and Flaming Lips are good too.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
DanielPlainview said:
I haven't had enough time this year to seek out new albums, but nothing this year has absolutely blown me away.
Well, these two things go hand in hand. I don't know, listen to the new pAper chAse, Obits, Sunn O))), Intelligence, and Raveonettes. That's like the best shit I heard this year.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
DanielPlainview said:
:lol bringing it WAY back, nice. I'll admit I haven't had enough time this year to seek out new albums, but nothing this year has absolutely blown me away.

Any suggestions...based on my (recent) tastes?
Wait... if your old account is JPRaup, and it's banned, then how are you here?

Alucard

Banned
I have a feeling that 2009 may have actually been quite a good year, but that I haven't listened to enough music from it. Of what I have heard, I REALLY really like the Swell Season album, and now Japandroids. The Phoenix album is also pretty cool. Then, these are all of decent quality in my mind...

Do Make Say Think
Dinosaur Jr.
Built to Spill
Camera Obscura
Jason Lytle
Matt & Kim
Mono

Hmm, I really didn't listen to much music this year at all. The National needs to come out with a new album or something. :p Also haven't heard the new Matthew Good yet...

Lambtron said:
Well, these two things go hand in hand. I don't know, listen to the new pAper chAse, Obits, Sunn O))), Intelligence, and Raveonettes. That's like the best shit I heard this year.
Nice, will check em out. I've listened to a lot of stuff this yr but nothing has been as great as 2007. So many classic albums.

I've missed a LOT of music this year. Fuck. I've just been discovering music from years past all year... hell, I think the only 2009 album I have is Lady Gaga - The Fame Monster. :lol

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I dunno about albums, but for songs I liked (most are in the deep house, tech house and nu-disco genres):

Milton Jackson - Crash (Lovebirds rmx)
Tony Lionni - Found A Place
Tony Lionni - Treat Me Right (Jimpster rmx)
Jamie Jones - Summertime
6th Borough Project - Do It To The Max
Cicada - Mr P Star
Kelley Polar - Entropy Reigns (Pearson and Usher's Closed System Dub)
Junior Boys - Hazel (Ewan Pearson House Mix)
Envotion - Streetwise
Ilija Rudman - Night People (Garage mix)
Oxia - Whole Life
Mujava - Township Funk (Crazy P mix)
Shonky - Mama Queen
Lee Foss - The Edge
Arthur Russell - Wax The Van (Yam Who rework)
D Ramirez, Mark Knight and Underworld - Downpipe
EDX - Shy Shy
Giom - I Know You Were Right (C-Soul On The House Mix)
Falko Brocksieper - Wherever You Are
Danny Howells - Psychoticbump
Dennis Ferrer - Hey Hey
Mathew Jonson - When Love Feels Like Crying
Mirko Loko - Serena

Alucard said:
I have a feeling that 2009 may have actually been quite a good year, but that I haven't listened to enough music from it. Of what I have heard, I REALLY really like the Swell Season album, and now Japandroids. The Phoenix album is also pretty cool. Then, these are all of decent quality in my mind...

Do Make Say Think
Dinosaur Jr.
Built to Spill
Camera Obscura
Jason Lytle
Matt & Kim
Mono

Hmm, I really didn't listen to much music this year at all. The National needs to come out with a new album or something. :p Also haven't heard the new Matthew Good yet...
Yeah next year is looking great. The National, Radiohead, Okkervil River, Arcade Fire, Wolf Parade, Band of Horses and probably many more I'm forgetting.

Meliorism

Lambtron said:

The Raveonettes album is the best shit you've heard? Really?

I thought In and Out of Control was mostly mediocre.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I've downloaded a bunch of albums this year (Zune Pass), not really putting much thought into whether or not they're new so I probably don't have the best sense for what the "best of" is for 2009, but I don't think i've seen this mentioned yet...

8wgrr8.jpg

rareside

Nihilism said:

Raveonettes new album is awesome, albeit their most poppy thus accessible record they've created. Couple songs on the album are mediocre, but overall I dig. I'm a huge Raveonettes fan though. Still pissed they canceled their Austin City Limits gig.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Nihilism said:

It's probably my second favorite album they've put out. They're absolutely one of my favorite bands. Chain Gang of Love is one of my 5 or 10 favorite albums this decade; this one isn't quite that good, but it's really good. I appreciate their poppy songwriting a whole hell of a lot. It'll probably be near the bottom of my top 10 this year, but it's a really good record. And I think that JPraup's more apt to like that than a lot of other stuff I could've listed. :)

swoon

Dr. Strangelove said:
Fuuuuck, swoon your list made me realize I forgot the new Califone album on my list. Definitely a favorite of 2009.

yea i stole JOMF off your list. i never remember when their albums actually come out. also big props on wind poem, it seems like everyone overlooked that album this year.

did you see tv ghost live? i mostly put that album on there this year because they are so so good live, and the album doesn't really capture his screamin' jay vocals well at all.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
swoon said:
did you see tv ghost live? i mostly put that album on there this year because they are so so good live, and the album doesn't really capture his screamin' jay vocals well at all.
I heard that album like a week after they played here. I really wish I would've seen them.

Meliorism

Lambtron said:
It's probably my second favorite album they've put out. They're absolutely one of my favorite bands. Chain Gang of Love is one of my 5 or 10 favorite albums this decade; this one isn't quite that good, but it's really good. I appreciate their poppy songwriting a whole hell of a lot. It'll probably be near the bottom of my top 10 this year, but it's a really good record. And I think that JPraup's more apt to like that than a lot of other stuff I could've listed. :)

I only really listened to it right when it first leaked or whatever and I mostly shrugged it off. I'm gonna listen to it again right now.

And I might do a top 20 thing or something in this topic later..I don't know.

Thinking a bit more I've also really enjoyed Camera Obscura, Avett Brothers, and Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

Clipse wins the prize of being the most crushing letdown in recent memory.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
DanielPlainview said:
Clipse wins the prize of being the most crushing letdown in recent memory.
I haven't even listened yet due to that horrendous cover art. What the fuck were they thinking? Well, it's more that I'd just rather listen to Gucci Mane. ZONE 6.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Nihilism said:
I only really listened to it right when it first leaked or whatever and I mostly shrugged it off. I'm gonna listen to it again right now.

Still feel like the first three tracks should've been a mini-EP release or something. I hate-hate-hated the rest of the album.

Prince said:
I'm glad someone mentioned it.

While I haven't listened to a lot of music this year (which is kinda weird, since I'm a musician and perform and write ALL the time; I'm just not into mainstream music at all and try not to steal ideas for my songs), I love this album. He's one of my favorite artists. I don't think he's ever won a Grammy, which is criminal. This should be his year. The only thing about this album that I wish were better is the amount of songs: just 9, with one being an instrumental. It makes the few songs that I tend to not listen to that often seem like it's a larger part of the album, which percentage-wise it of course true.

Can't wait for the two follow-up albums in '10 and '11.

I'll also add one of the sole other albums I bought this year: Soulive's Up Here. Again, it's a short album, just 9 songs, with three being vocal tracks. Great album to just play while driving or jamming with friends. Always gets me in the mood to dance.

Saw them with Dumpstaphunk and John Scofield this summer in Prospect park. Besides the rain and all the weed I smelled EVERYWHERE it was a spectacular night. They even had an after-party at I believe Two-Boots Brooklyn a few blocks away. And some of the musicians played even more there. It was a great night. They are also playing in Williamsburg on the 30th and 31st. I gotta get my tickets soon.

Meliorism

(no order)

JEFF the Brotherhood - Heavy Days
Spooktober - Puketober
Real Estate - s/t
Converge - Axe to Fall
The xx - xx
Lightning Bolt - Earthly Delights
Girls - Album
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx II
Why? - Eskimo Snow
Cymbals Eat Guitars - Why There Are Mountains
The Antlers - Hospice
Bibio - Ambivalence Avenue
Japandroids - Post-Nothing
Manic Street Preachers - Journal for Plague Lovers
The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - s/t
P.O.S. - Never Better
Metric - Fantasies
Music Go Music - Expressions
Clues - s/t
Baroness - Blue Record

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Just for kicks, I put together 25 tracks that I really, really liked from this year: here. It's pop and electronic-heavy, as my taste in singles tends to be, but there's some variety.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Honourable mentions:
Kent - Röd
Combichrist - Today We Are All Demons
Rammstein - Liebe Ist Für Alle Da
Psyclon Nine - We The Fallen
KMFDM - Blitz
Lady Gaga - The Fame Monster
VNV Nation - Of Faith, Power & Glory
Skold vs KMFDM - Skold vs KMFDM
W.A.S.P - Babylon
Helalyn Flowers - Stitches Of Eden
Genitorturers - Blackheart Revolution

Unhonourable mentions:
:Wumpscut: - Fuckit
Depeche Mode - Sounds of the Universe

Combichristoffersen said:
Depeche Mode - Sounds of the Universe

I enjoyed SOTU. More so than Playing The Angel, at least.

This new trend of Dave Gahan writing songs on Depeche Mode album is a big problem, though. The past two albums have suffered, specifically due to his songs. It's like an imitator trying too hard to write a Martin Gore song, it just doesn't fly most of the time.

But overall I thought the songs hit the mark more than they missed, admirable effort from Martin there. Ben Hiller's production was solid too, but I'm ready for them to work with another collaborator next time.

My Turn, I guess I'll be the lone one up here but this was my favorite album of the year, got it on release night!

Jonas Brothers - "Lines Vines and Trying Times"
Best tracks, "World War III", "Paranoid", "What Did I Do To Your Heart"
jonas_brothers_album.jpg

Favorite Singles
Kris Allen - Live Like Were Dying
kris_allen-live_like_were_dying.jpg

David Guetta featuring Kelly Rowland - "When Love Takes Over"
WhenLoveTakesOver.jpg

Queen Latifah - "Cue The Rain"

Oh and since this is a video game forum, have to give it to Uncharted 2: Among Theives Original Soundtrack for providing such a great experience in game, best iTunes purchase ever. Thanks Greg Edmondson.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Toy Soldier said:
I enjoyed SOTU. More so than Playing The Angel, at least.

This new trend of Dave Gahan writing songs on Depeche Mode album is a big problem, though. The past two albums have suffered, specifically due to his songs. It's like an imitator trying too hard to write a Martin Gore song, it just doesn't fly most of the time.

But overall I thought the songs hit the mark more than they missed, admirable effort from Martin there. Ben Hiller's production was solid too, but I'm ready for them to work with another collaborator next time.

Ugh. I loved Playing the Angel, but SotU was just flat out boring. Sure, I guess it was nice for them to be able to spend a shitload of cash buying vintage gear (I think it was Dave who mentioned this a couple of times in interviews, how Martin did nothing but burn off money at buying old synths off eBay :lol ), but to me it just sounds like they actually forgot how to write any decent material during the process of twiddling knobs, and then realized, two weeks before the album was supposed to be released, that 'shit guys, we have no new material', and then slapped together some shitty leftovers from those mediocre mid-90s albums and called it a day. Personally I think SotU is their absolute worst album to date.

I'm still bitter they never made a new Black Celebration :(

I just realized how few genre's I listened to this year...I mainly stuck to hip hop and rock...and far more albums disappointed me this year then in any other in recent memory

Hip-Hop: Best of the Year

41qB8NiaeQL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

1. P.O.S. - Never Better
Such an incredible album, with innovation, diversity and attention to detail I haven't seen in a hip hop album in a long time. Great from beginning to end, with the hidden track being possibly my favorite track of 2009

61aJENR11kL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

2. Kid Cudi - Man on the Moon
2009's 808s & Heartbreak without as much emo material, production is amazing and the concept is pulled off to near perfection.

61Z6N-C851L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

3. Tech N9ne - K.O.D.
After 3 disappointing albums Tech returns to dark, story driven music with amazing production and flow, easily his best since Everready and fits perfectly alongside Anghellic and Absolute Power.

51LeOEKxUKL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

4. Royce Da 5'9 - Street Hop
finally I can say I agree with all the hype, Royce is one of the most under rated rappers...period

51CxAePJXuL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

5. K-os - Yes
this album surprised me as I had heard K-os name before, but never managed to give him a listen..very versatile

Hip-Hop: Biggest Disappointments
51JNQEKEviL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

1. Jay-Z - The Blueprint 3
more dissapointing then Kingdom Come? not quite but the mediocre subject matter, beat selection and just general presentation of the album are a disgrace to The Blueprint name

51WdPfrG1QL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

2. Slaughterhouse - Slaughterhouse
How can you get 4 of the best underground MCs and come out with something so run of the mill? Beat selection was terrible, and on many songs it seems like they just mailed it in...great potential...but this was a huge miss

51JDB7ViOQL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

3. La Coka Nostra - A Brand You Can Trust
Ill Bill's Hour of Reprisal was one of my favorite albums of last year, and I looked forward to an ultra gritty album from his group (that includes Danny Boy and Everlast). Even now I can't place what is missing from the album but something is definitely off

61FZefZe0SL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

4. Tech N9ne - Sickology 101
While there are definitely some great tracks (Sickology 101, In The Air, Midwest Choppers 2, Red Nose) the majority of the rest of the album feels like little effort was put into it. The third straight release below Tech's typically great standards. Has he can he recover from this slump? somehow 6 months later he releases a dark and eerie masterpiece

51pYqEJ0q6L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

5. Wale - Attention Deficit
one of my most anticipated debut albums in a long time, it's like Wale took everything that made his mixtape appearences great and did the opposite...nothing on this album catches my attention...so I guess the title fits.

EverybodysNobody_XV_Front2.jpg

6. XV - Everybody's Nobody (and his career)
This mixtape is by no means bad, but is a huge letdown from the work he did in 2008 (The Square in the Circle / 40 Days and 40 Nights). There are some amazing tracks here (Mirror's Edge, Everybody's Nobody, The Rabbit Hole, Fall Out The Sky) but Vizzy's general direction has changed to a more mainstream focus, something I'm sure signing to Noizy Cricket influenced. On top of this he abandoned his album "The Kid With the Green Backpack" which was a very personal concept album that reflected who he is that featured amazing production from Seven including bringing in an orchestra string section. The album was done, but XV shelved it because his new management company said it's not what the general public wants to hear. The one rapper that seemed to be doing it his way in 2008 listened to everybody but his own conscience in 2009.

Rock: Best of the Year

61pzKBU7keL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

1. Muse - The Resistance
This album seems to have divided Muse fans, but I love it from start to finish. Not really much else to say, absolutely amazing.

51FvlQlJ8kL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

2. Kings of Leon - Only by the Night
This is the first Kings of Leon cd that I have enjoyed from start to finish. I tried to not like this at first because I thought it was overhyped.

517fG1WXh7L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

3. Them Crooked Vultures - Them Crooked Vultures
a rock "supergroup" that finally delivers on that title? Funny thing is that I probably would have missed on this if it wasn't for the praise it got here on GAF

41tBScYRphL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

4. The Antlers - Hospice
another album that GAF turn me on to, a very emotional yet balanced album. I was really not interested in this at all due to the band name...never judge a book by it's cover

51zLtCln3RL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

5. Jupiter One - Sunshower
I first heard of this group due to their work with rapper XV, eventually they started doing a lot of work with his producer Seven who contributed on this release. I can't really describe it's style as they blend a lot of genre's together...just give it a listen

Rock: Biggest Disappointments

61EAItkOLYL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

1. Green Day - 21st Century Breakdown
There have been 2 Green Day albums I have loved...Dookie and American Idiot..both have been followed by just boring and lackluster releases

61cWJUn4%2BEL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

2. Three Days Grace - Life Starts Now
I'll admit I am a big fan of One-X, the album got constant rotation in my playlist until last December. Life Starts Now is disappointing on just about every level. Vocally uninspired, boring composition. I appreciate that they wanted to move away from their emo-esque subject matter of One-X but this might not have been the best choice.

41FYb6ef2fL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

3. Street Sweeper Social Club - Street Sweeper Social Club
I want to like this album, aside from its incredibly awesome and corny cover I am a fan of Morello. This "supergroup" with Boots Riley looks great on paper, but just didn't come out that way.

51RhdP745LL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

4. Owl City - Ocean Eyes
I really want to like Owl City. I am a huge Postal Service fan, and I can accept that they will never release a 2nd album and Owl City shows signs of filling that void, but the overly generic subject matter that gets downright corny kills any chance this album had of living up to the originators. The potential is there, they (maybe he is the more appropriate subject?) have the sound down but still come off as a lackluster imitation.

5. This spot was reserved for Lil Wayne's Rebirth but I see it got "pushed back" for some reason

GodfatherX said:
51RhdP745LL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

4. Owl City - Ocean Eyes
I really want to like Owl City. I am a huge Postal Service fan, and I can accept that they will never release a 2nd album and Owl City shows signs of filling that void, but the overly generic subject matter that gets downright corny kills any chance this album had of living up to the originators. The potential is there, they (maybe he is the more appropriate subject?) have the sound down but still come off as a lackluster imitation.

I really only liked "Fireflies" from this one, which I ended up buying that single. I couldnt find enough to warrant purchasing the whole thing, lol.

Which reminds me, another single I liked from this year was
Boys Like Girls featuring Taylor Swift - "Two is Better Than One".
200px-2isbetterthanone.jpg

kaskade

The Fame Monster no doubt my top album of the year. XX was damn good also. I liked Kaleidoscope too even though most people hated it. It was different from his old stuff but I enjoyed it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Here's my top 15 in alphabetical order, though Fever Ray is definitely my favorite of the year.

2562 - Unbalance
Air - Love 2
Dextro - Winded
Fever Ray - Fever Ray
IAMX - Kingdom of Welcome Addiction
James Lavelle - GU37 Bangkok
Jon Hopkins - Insides
Massive Attack - Splitting the Atom
OceanLab - Sirens of the Sea Remixed
Philip Glass - Koyaanisqatsi (the new expanded score)
Royksopp - Junior
Shirley Walker - Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (the new expanded score)
Sunn O))) - Monoliths & Dimensions
Way Out West - We Love Machine
We Fell to Earth - We Fell to Earth

Timo

maliedoo said:
and CDs that should have never been released....

31EZC8O4BxL._SL160_SL125_.jpg

Drake - So Far Gone

WOAH WOAH WOAH

What you got against Drake?

Anyways, this year wasn't too bad, but damn, a lot of my fav's were completely missing in action (Daft Punk had one leak, sebastiAn made NOTHING, MSTRKRFT's album was pretty disappointing besides Heartbreaker, Justice made two whole remix's, etc.).

What I liked:

washed-out-life-of-leisure.jpg
royksopp-junior.jpg
wolfgang-amadeus-phoenix-album-cover-300x300.jpg

MPP.jpg
bat-for-lashes-daniel.jpg
passion-pit-manners-$7034100$300.jpg

annie_1117.jpg
20090424071430.jpg
kurt+vile+childish-prodigy.jpg

Hudson%20Mohawke%20-%20Butter.jpg
Fuck-Buttons-Tarot-Sport-300x300.jpg
01-discovery-lp.jpg

Calvin Harris's "I'm Not Alone" was only included because of the DeadMau5 remix which completly killed the original. This year was awesome for remix's as well, too many to name.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Alucard said:
So, a buddy of mine got this for me for Christmas...

japandroids.jpg

This is an absolutely phenomenal record! It's filled with youthful exuberance, energy, rage, passion, love, fear, and humanity. And it's just two guys that somehow manage to make it sound like they're a four-piece. Dang. Easily top 5 material, and I've only listened to it twice so far. I'd love to see them live!
+1

Great album, it's very hard to get tired of it.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
2le728.jpg

Kap Bambino - Blacklist
"Red Sign"

i5ne49.jpg

Desire - II
"Under Your Spell"

17s68m.jpg

La Roux - La Roux
"Colourless Colour"

xms97b.jpg

Fischerspooner - Entertainment
"Supply & Demand"

2ypnswh.jpg

immi - Alice EP
"Alice"

20a2byf.jpg

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!
"Heads Will Roll"

8vvw9h.jpg

Fuck Buttons - Tarot Sport
"The Lisbon Maru"

o76asy.jpg

DatA - Skywriter
"Rapture"

24v07di.jpg

Kitsuné Maison Compilation 8
Parallels - "Find The Fire"

20qciyv.jpg

The xx - xx
"Shelter"

10yf6n8.jpg

Raekwon - Only Built For Cuban Linx Pt. II
"House of Flying Daggers"

2cg66s.jpg

Annie - Don't Stop
"Songs Remind Me Of You"

312gscn.jpg

AMWE - I Am AMWE
"Friction Between The Lovers"

Overall I think this was a pretty solid year for music, but I was more into remixes and EPs than main albums, to be honest. '10 should be great. Should be, anyway.

oracrest

Man, feels like I listened to a lot of older music this year....

Mono
mono_hymn.jpg

Russian Circles
RussianCircles_Geneva.jpg

Caspian
Caspian_72cmyk.jpg

ISIS
isis-wavering-radiant-ipecac.jpg

Junius
junius.jpg

Animal Collective
MPP.jpg

hiryu

From left to right:

Baroness - Blue Record
The Devin Townsend Project - Addicted
Mastodon - Crack the Skye
Them Crooked Vultures - Them Crooked Vultures
Dinosaur Jr - Farm
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz![/QUOTE]

Ah crap I had no idea Blue Record came out. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom