• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 US Tornado Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching the Weather Channel's live coverage. They basically carry one of the local stations plus their own guys.

They were just talking to a storm chaser. They were in two vehicles described as "big Toyota SUVs" and took a direct hit. Said they "went for a ride" with both vehicles being flung off the road 200 yds into a field. All airbags deployed and thankfully noone killed. One vehicle disabled completely, the other they were able to get going again, though they now have no windshield wipers (blown off) and they are now in escape mode.

Harrowing stuff.

Edit: Dude interviewed was Mike Bettis, who's a well-known guy. He's reported that he's managed to limp his vehicle to a safe spot.

I wonder why CNN is choosing to use the term "tornado emergency". I guess the national audience wouldn't be familiar with the watch/warning system, but just call it a tornado warning. That's what it is, and that will actually mean something to any local people who see it.

I wonder why CNN is choosing to use the term "tornado emergency". I guess the national audience wouldn't be familiar with the watch/warning system, but just call it a tornado warning. That's what it is, and that will actually mean something to any local people who see it.

The National Weather Service calls it a Tornado Emergency.

Cars are very dangerous to be in during a tornados, so the traffic jams are a nightmare. I hope people heed advice to abandon their cars, but my guess is by instinct most people won't.

Seanspeed

Banned

Tornado emergency is a powerful tornado in a heavily populated/metropolitan area.

TeegsD

At what point do people have to get out of their cars and start running on the highway. Its at a standstill...

Weather Channel crew were thrown from their car when an earlier tornado rapidly changed direction and took chasers off guard, thankfully they survived.

BLok1GACQAE-KaE.jpg

Close? It looks so damn close already....

If they wait too long they probably have a better chance in their vehicles...

Not if you can't drive though. If you're stuck in traffic, you're better off trying to wedge yourself under an overpass, into a culvert, or a ditch of a tornado is coming right at you. You certainly don't want to be standing out in the middle of a road getting pelted with debris.

Mr Swine

Banned
Man this is awful. The highway patrol lady pleading for the people to get off I-35, but how do you do that?

Are people afraid that others will steal their car while they go out and look for cover? I mean if there is a tornado that is supposed to come in your way I would leave asap

legacyzero

Banned
I've only seen a sky go green one time in my life. I thought that shit wasn't real.

I damn near pissed myself. It's when you know shit's about to go down.

Not if you can't drive though. If you're stuck in traffic, you're better off trying to wedge yourself under an overpass, into a culvert, or a ditch of a tornado is coming right at you. You certainly don't want to be standing out in the middle of a road getting pelted with debris.

Don't do that bolded one. Overpasses actually don't offer any protection from tornadoes. If anything, they make fatalities more likely because you're exposed.

But the culvert/ditch advice is good if you have no other options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom