• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 US Tornado Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't do that bolded one. Overpasses actually don't offer any protection from tornadoes. If anything, they make fatalities more likely because you're exposed.

But the culvert/ditch advice is good if you have no other options.

I'm talking about getting out and climbing up the embankment and wedging yourself into the space between the overpass roadbed and the embankment. Thats why i specifically used the phrase "wedge youself." I personally know people who have lived from a direct hit doing this.

Basically, this is a game of "least worst option" if you are caught out in a storm. Even if uou do the best possie thing, you can still he killed. I lived in tornado alley many years when I was a young kid. There was a man that went to my church who tried to escape a tornado in a culvert and got slammed by a huge piece of plowing equipment that the tornado picked up from a nearby John Deer dealership, and was killed instantly.

vis0_31_05_2013_0030z_cut_zps2dcb826b.png

Very scared about this; I have a friend in Moore who barely missed the EF-5 who may be in the path of a tornado this time.

I'm sure they'll be fine. My brother is in Branson, MO and all this stuff will be headed his way later tonight but hopefully it'll all weaken and stuff and he can just have a nice light show.

Intense stuff.

TylerD

Honestly, I still think it could be an incredible time if done right. Just one other thing on my bucket list

One of the biggest rushes of your life. Even with small tornadoes. I had a couple of graduate meteorology students in my frat at OU that I went chasing with a couple of times.

TeegsD

One of the biggest rushes of your life. Even with small tornadoes. I had a couple of graduate meteorology students in my frat at OU that I went chasing with a couple of times.

Exactly, just once. Thats all I need to get it out of my system.

Get any footage?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'm talking about getting out and climbing up the embankment and wedging yourself into the space between the overpass roadbed and the embankment. Thats why i specifically used the phrase "wedge youself." I personally know people who have lived from a direct hit doing this.

Basically, this is a game of "least worst option" if you are caught out in a storm. Even if uou do the best possie thing, you can still he killed. I lived in tornado alley many years when I was a young kid. There was a man that went to my church who tried to escape a tornado in a culvert and got slammed by a huge piece of plowing equipment that the tornado picked up from a nearby John Deer dealership, and was killed instantly.
Anecdotal evidence.

If there isn't an actual crawl space under the road that isn't exposed at all--and there won't be--then you're fucked.

FyreWulff

I've always understood it as wedging yourself between the roadbed and the I-beams

----------------
][ ][ you ][ ][

If people are just driving under the overpass and parking there, then yeah you're not being given any protection

Chumly

If there isn't a protected space under the overpass you shouldn't go under it because it creates a wind tunnel. Not all overpasses can you wedge yourself under beams that give protection from the wind.

News9 reporting that powerlines down and vehicles overturned in the same area of Moore that was hit by the tornado on the 20th.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
ugh, night time tornado's. Worst Thing Ever.

Get safe and hope for the best, affected peoples.

Dave_6

Holiday Inn in Earth City, MO got hit. News is reporting "mass casualties". :(

(that's NW of St Louis Lambert Airport)

The only 'good' thing about the word casualties is it means injuries, not fatalities. Let's hope it's only minor injuries.

R2D4

Banned
Do tornados occur somewhere else in the world?? Seems like it only happens in the US. If so, why?

Yes they happen in other parts of the world but these storms are more powerful and numerous in the Midwest because it's where cold air from Canada meets warm moist air from the Gulf of Mexico. Sort of a unique situation.

TylerD

Do tornados occur somewhere else in the world?? Seems like it only happens in the US. If so, why?

Mostly the colder dry air coming over the Rocky Mountains and the warm moist air coming up from the Gulf of Mexico and the mixing area is "tornado alley". Very basic explanation and I am sure someone can elaborate much better.

KillGore

Yes they happen in other parts of the world but these storms are more powerful and numerous in the Midwest because it's where cold air from Canada meets warm moist air from the Gulf of Mexico. Sort of a unique situation.

So the Canadians are to blame. Why Canada?

dorkimoe

Gold Member
I always wonder who they are trying to warn during tornado coverage. 50,000 people without power and they keep yelling at people in the area to seek shelter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom