• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 World Baseball Classic |OT| America prevails

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlos

This was the best possible outcome for Puerto Rico.
I don't know, Japan looked weak offensively, only had 2 runners on base once (in the 8th). And maybe the natural grass Instead of turf affected them.
Pitching was good though.

Think USA takes it tomorrow, good thing PR celebrated well after last nights game.

Marquis

Banned
United States has better pitching and a strong lineup. It's going to be difficult as FUCK.

IDK man I feel like DR and Japan would of been true challenges. We already tagged up Stroman in pool play so that's definitely a confidence booster for us. Molina, Lindor, Correa always seem to find a way to spark the offense.

I'm sure we will get it done!

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
With the team restrictions on their relievers being used on back to back days, will be interesting to see what Leyland does.

PR_rambo

Banned
IDK man I feel like DR and Japan would of been true challenges. We already tagged up Stroman in pool play so that's definitely a confidence booster for us. Molina, Lindor, Correa always seem to find a way to spark the offense.

Stroman settled in well after the first inning. They got the other two runs because of an error. It's not like Puerto Rico ran over them, it went down to the last out. You're going to see Stroman lock shit down tomorrow night, just watch.

So either way the United States wins.

Edit: I'm kinda pissed that Alex Bregman has been riding the bench when he could be getting valuable at-bats in Spring Training.

Choomp

Banned
I'm happy with this tournament at this point, honestly, I'd be totally fine seeing Puerto Rico win, those guys are awesome. I'm just happy we beat Japan.

that faux cockiness

nothing faux here. My team is undefeated and has already beat Team USA.

usa clearly has a better roster, which is more significant than puerto rico being undefeated in a tiny sample size of games.

anyways, it's baseball. even if you had the best team playing the worst team, the odds in any individual game are going to be in the vicinity of 50/50.

NYCrooner

The battle of the two greatest nations on Earth is upon us: America vs Kinda America
I really hope WBC promotes the game this way. Ha!

Anyway, I'm super stocked. This is the best possible outcome for any AmeRican. It's win-win. Of course there's going to be a slight cultural and "underdog" allegiance for PR but at least the alternative would be big brother and the fucking INVENTORS of baseball.

Miggytronz

usa clearly has a better roster, which is more significant than puerto rico being undefeated in a tiny sample size of games.

anyways, it's baseball. even if you had the best team playing the worst team, the odds in any individual game are going to be in the vicinity of 50/50.

PR is stock full of MLB talent. The hell you smoking? They are about even to be honest.

PR is stock full of MLB talent. The hell you smoking? They are about even to be honest.

In a one-game playoff? Sure, I guess they're close enough. I mean, the outcome has more to do with luck than anything else in a single game. But if you compared 2016 WAR or projected 2017 WAR between the two lineups, the U.S. has a clear edge. Puerto Rico gets the nod for a slightly better infield (outside of 1B), but the U.S. outfield is significantly better.

dickroach

the US has an MLB all star team. PR has an MLB really good team (but they're managed by the best guy the Marlins have had in the past year so that's a +1)

US wins 5 to 2

This WBC has been really exciting this year. Its been great to see as a baseball fan. Also, as an O's fan, it's been cool to see Manny Machado and Adam Jones play so well. They really did a good job at representing Baltimore.

the US has an MLB all star team. PR has an MLB really good team (but they're managed by the best guy the Marlins have had in the past year so that's a +1)

US wins 5 to 2

Its funny how at the beginning of the thread team USA wasn't given too much of a shot to win this but now we're suddenly the inevitable victor because we're stacked with all stars

Its funny how at the beginning of the thread team USA wasn't given too much of a shot to win this but now we're suddenly the inevitable victor because we're stacked with all stars
I always believed in the US but it was more for there SP. Group has been solid and is the main reason US is here now.

Quixzlizx

The starter for PR is someone who won't make the Mets' starting rotation, and possibly not even the roster, either.

Although I don't really want to see Lugo get pasted, either. I'm conflicted.

Choomp

Banned
The starter for PR is someone who won't make the Mets' starting rotation, and possibly not even the roster, either.

Don't be fooled, though. Lugo is crafty as fuck.

I was optimistic about this US team going in but I feel they've already exceeded all expectations I've had to this point. They've been super fun every game

Marquis

Banned

Lugo is pretty filthy, not sure if he was the one who went against the USA in the pool play game. That game has apparently lost a lot of meaning to some and was only close because Diaz almost blew the game.

Hoping USA wins so they kepp this thing going

IMG_1413.jpg

Nope. Fuck Ian Kinsler. Go PR!!!!!

Ricky_R

PR has a better team this year than they did in 2013. There's definitely more raw talent and the team is pretty fired up. I feel they have much better odds this time around, regardless of the opponent. US has a fucking strong team though.

Hopefully PR can maintain the focus and consistency. The excitement also helps, but sometimes it can get out of hand and backfire.

BumRush

Lugo was great for the Metsies last year ans has been solid in the WBC so far. Dude is a pitcher, mixes in his breaking stuff nicely.

His curve is pretty damn filthy. Won't get a spot in the rotation (to start the year) but is going to play a big part in the Mets success

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom