• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 World Baseball Classic |OT| America prevails

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love when they announce these random stats. Cure to Puerto Rican crime? Baseball. I mean I know the crime rate is high af but why focus on negative ish.

I wouldn't say should if they were born and raised in the US. Not sure if that's the case for every one of them though.
Yea this. But then you have guys like Machado and Betances who were born and raised in the states but decided to play for DR. A lot of it comes down to family ties I assume.

carlos

I wouldn't say should if they were born and raised in the US. Not sure if that's the case for every one of them though.

USA has a 300 million person pool from which to get players while PR has a growing immigrant population in the USA and only 3.5 million or so on the island. There are enough real USA players to choose from to not have to pick these fringe/dual identity guys.

To put it another way, should team Israel only have players raised in Israel?

Anyway, bad guy Kinsler giving them the W.... wish we had a major league pitcher to use here.... Oh wait, he's pitching for USA.
No offense to Lugo who I'm sure is giving it his all.

Lunar FC

USA has a 300 million person pool from which to get players while PR has a growing immigrant population in the USA and only 3.5 million or so on the island. There are enough real USA players to choose from to not have to pick these fringe/dual identity guys.

Anyway, bad guy Kinsler giving them the W.... wish we had a major league pitcher to use here.... Oh wait, he's pitching for USA.

We are a nation of immigrants. That's kind of our thing.

Quixzlizx

Salt dagger right into Lugo's back.

Ricky_R

That's irrelevant. If they were born and raised in the US, it's their right to play for the US team if that's how they feel like. We don't have to like it, but they very well shouldn't. I wouldn't want somebody who doesn't want to play for my team anyway.

jfkgoblue

That's irrelevant. If they were born and raised in the US, it's their right to play for the US team if that's how they feel like. We don't have to like it, but they very well shouldn't. I wouldn't want somebody who doesn't want to play for my team anyway.
Even if they were born and raised in PR they are natural born Americans

carlos

We are a nation of immigrants. That's kind of our thing.
Of course and it was their choice to play for USA so whatever.
It was ridiculous to say that PR was the favorite, you guys are downplaying your own USA team, when Posey vs lucroy or gregerson vs Miller are the tough decisions you have, that is just laughable. Try having to choose between a retired Joel Pinero or a random minor league reliever with a 5 + era.
And again, much respect for Lugo.

Migrant population , not immigrant, obviously on my earlier post.

Ricky_R

Even if they were born and raised in PR they are natural born Americans

Well yes, but that would be... I don't know... kinda fucked up (playing for the US in that case I mean).

Anyway, US seems a lot more in control. It feels like they will blast this game open any time now. Hopefully Lugo can hold it together and we get some lead off hitters on base.

Malo

Banned
That's because you've never been here (I assume). While there's obviously a considerable amount of people who look pretty latino, we have a lot of variety in race.
Oh, I've been to Puerto Rico a couple of times and I know there's a lot of variety. Same with my country, DR.

Only member of the team to not speak Spanish. He want apart of the group text Yadier set up supposedely.
Not surprised by that.

clav

Lugo is not sharp tonight with all these walks.

7 strike outs though.

Arenado is colder than absolute zero at this point.

Sometimes players go into slumps.

You'd be crazy to say he's not one of the best young 3B in the league.

I'm not happy either Bregman is not playing since he's been a pro bench warmer. Maybe silver lining is he's learning how these power players hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom