• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2018 Oscar winners

Full list of winners and nominees

Makeup and Styling

• Darkest Hour - WINNER
  • Victoria & Abdul
  • Wonder
Costume Design

• Beauty and the Beast
  • Darkest Hour
  • Phantom Thread - WINNER
  • The Shape of Water
  • Victoria & Abdul
Documentary Feature

• Last Men in Aleppo
  • Strong Island
  • Icarus - WINNER
  • Faces Places
  • Abacus: Small Enough to Jail
Sound Editing

• Baby Driver
  • Blade Runner 2049
  • Dunkirk - WINNER
  • The Shape of Water
  • Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Sound Mixing

• Baby Driver
  • Blade Runner 2049
  • Dunkirk - WINNER
  • The Shape of Water
Production Design

• Beauty and the Beast
  • Blade Runner 2049
  • The Shape of Water - WINNER
  • Dunkirk
  • Darkest Hour
Foreign Language Film

• A Fantastic Woman (Chile) - WINNER
  • The Insult (Lebanon)
  • Loveless (Russia)
  • On Body and Soul (Hungary)
  • The Square (Sweden)
Supporting Actress

• Mary J. Blige, Mudbound
  • Allison Janney, I, Tonya - WINNER
  • Laurie Metcalf, Lady Bird
  • Lesley Manville, Phantom Thread
  • Octavia Spencer, The Shape of Water
Short Film - Animated

• Dear Basketball - WINNER
  • Negative Space
  • Garden Party
  • Lou
  • Revolting Rhymes
Animated Featured

• The Boss Baby
  • The Breadwinner
  • Coco - WINNER
  • Ferdinand
  • Loving Vincent
Visual Effects

• Blade Runner 2049 - WINNER
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  • Kong: Skull Island
  • War for the Planet of the Apes
Film Editing

• Baby Driver
  • Dunkirk - WINNER
  • I, Tonya
  • The Shape of Water
  • Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Best Documentary Short Subject

• Edith+Eddie
  • Heaven Is a Traffic Jam on the 405 - WINNER
  • Heroin(e)
  • Knife Skills
  • Traffic Stop
Short Film – Live Action

• DeKalb Elementary
  • The Eleven O'Clock
  • My Nephew Emmett
  • The Silent Child - WINNER
  • Watu Wote: All of Us
Adapted Screenplay

• Call Me By Your Name - WINNER
  • The Disaster Artist
  • Molly’s Game
  • Mudbound
  • Logan
Original Screenplay

• The Big Sick
  • Get Out - WINNER
  • Lady Bird
  • The Shape of Water
Cinematography

• Blade Runner 2049 - WINNER
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dunkirk
  • Mudbound
  • The Shape of Water
Original Score

• Dunkirk
  • Panthom Thread
Original Song

• “Mighty River,” Mudbound
  • “Mystery of Love,” Call Me by Your Name
  • “Remember Me,” Coco - WINNER
  • “Stand Up for Something,” Marshall
  • “This Is Me,” The Greatest Showman
Best Director

• Christopher Nolan, Dunkirk
  • Jordan Peele,Get Out
  • Greta Gerwig, Lady Bird
  • Paul Thomas Anderson, Phantom Thread
  • Guillermo del Toro, The Shape of Water - WINNER
Lead Actor

• Timothée Chalamet, Call Me by Your Name
  • Daniel Day-Lewis, Phantom Thread
  • Daniel Kaluuya, Get Out
  • Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour - WINNER
  • Denzel Washington, Roman J. Israel, Esq.
Lead Actress

• Sally Hawkins, The Shape of Water
  • Frances McDormand, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - WINNER
  • Margot Robbie, I, Tonya
  • Saoirse Ronan, Lady Bird
  • Meryl Streep, The Post
Best Picture

• Call Me By Your Name
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dunkirk
  • Get Out
  • Lady Bird
  • Phantom Thread
  • The Post

I'm really happy to see Blade Runner got 2 and the whole list seems really decent with academy keeping politics out of it

Kadayi

Banned
Deakins gets his nod finally, and special effects as well. Pity they didn't clear out on production design as well.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
All well deserved wins, but zero surprises. I think the only thing that raised my eyebrows was Call Me By Your Name getting Best Adapted Screenplay. Not that it didn't deserve it, but I was betting on that going to Molly's Game. Guess MG just fell off everyone's radar completely

Orpheum

I'm really happy for Gary Oldman. Still have to watch The shape of Water. Seems like a really good movie.

Alx

I'm happy for del Toro since I like his work in general. I didn't think Shape of Water was his best though, it has great looks and actors but a very conventional plot.

Happy for Blade Runner, it really does dominate in the categories it was nominated for.

edit

Shame that A Ghost Story didn't get any recognition, was my movie of the year

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Glad Gary Oldman got some recognition. He doesn't exactly play the hollywood game and has been overlooked for years so I expected him to miss out despite him being one of the best actors on screen today.

Have yet to see The Shape of Water but am looking forward to it and have heard good things. Also need to see Three Billboards.

Anyone care to recommend any nominees that didn't win which they thought were good? In years past I've often found some of the nominees from some categories more enjoyable than the winners but it's taken a bit of luck or just dogged perseverence to find them among the rest.

Corrik

As someone who has seen Shape of Water, I do not know exactly how it was Best Picture. I mean, it was a weak year, but The Darkest Hour would have gotten my nod. Though I do think Sally Hawkins probably deserved Best Actress from her performance in Shape of Water.

Edit: Also Get Out as original screenplay was head scratching.

Last edited:

Fbh

Maybe I'm just too dumb but I didn't really get the shape of water.

It looks nice and has good performances but the story did nothing for me.

It's about accepting others and looking past our differences ?

I don't know, the creature acted more animal like than anything to me. It seemed more like a water monkey/ape than some human like underwater creature, so her falling in love with him was just weird.

Razorback

No way. There is a ton of bad winners.
Not in a world where Crash exists.

Also as mentioned above I'd have love to have seen Sally Hawkins win, she was amazing.

I'll change my statement, "The worst movie to ever win best picture that I have seen."

Here are my thoughts on The Shape of Water from another thread:
Alright, I need to get this out my system. I saw the Shape of Water recently, best picture nominee with a 92% RT score.

WAT?

The tone of this movie is all over the place. It's like Del Toro saw Amelie and went, oh I know what this needs, disturbing graphic violence and bestiality.
I'm not saying the movie is bad due to the subject matter, I can totally see this story working with the right tone. But the whimsical style does not mix at all with the R-rated scenes. It's not like this type of tone dissonance is unachievable, Del Toro hit the nail on the head with Pan's Labyrinth. But here it doesn't work at all. And the plot is completely predictable. After the half-way point, I guessed correctly every single step of the third act.

This is an extremely morally black and white movie where the villains are all racists and homophobes and the heroes are all saints. They dont even bother exploring for second whether or not they're doing the right thing. Zero nuance. They dedicate so much of the screen time making sure we understand the villain is a bad person. Yes, he's bad, the bad guy is very mean, we get it, please move on. And it's all terribly convoluted, the given reason why the government wants to study the creature makes no sense, and the way they mistreat such a rare creature makes even less sense, but I guess it has to be that way because plot. The only interesting character that isn't paper thin is the painter. Why did they develop his character with multiple subplots and the only thing we get about the main character is that she's a mute and that apparently makes her act like a child for some reason.

And then they brush over the core of the movie, which is the central love story. Its basically love at first sight and that's that, no need to question why they want to jump each other's bones immediately. The Beauty and the Beast makes it a point to show that what matters is on the inside and we follow the process of how someone could fall in love with a beast. There's an interesting story here to explore, but here they don't even try to sell us on the idea, it's just a given that anyone would want to get it on with fishboy.

...he ate her fucking cat's head. Why does no one give a shit? I thought these people were animal lovers, why is that scene in the movie? Why do they also not give a shit when they flood the apartment? That house is ruined! What's the point of the masturbation scenes and the graphic gore violence on my whimsical fantasy love story that also includes an out of left field musical act? Whyyyyy?!

The production design was alright.

3/10

Snoopycat

Banned
Good to see Allison Janney won. I wasn't interested in the film but I'm glad I watched it. It was really good and Janney was hilarious as the mum. She practically stole that film with her performance.

NovumAngel

Banned
I'll change my statement, "The worst movie to ever win best picture that I have seen."

Fair enough you didn't like the movie but coming in and just kinda laughing it off seems a little harsh.

Out of curiosity which film do you think should have won?

Razorback

Fair enough you didn't like the movie but coming in and just kinda laughing it off seems a little harsh.

Out of curiosity which film do you think should have won?

Had Blade Runner been nominated it would have been my top pick.

But of those on the list I thought Three Billboards should have won. (I haven't seen Phantom Thread yet, so that can change. I'm a big fan of Paul Thomas Anderson) But Three Billboards was an outstanding film. I really liked it a lot and the thing it does best is the way the narrative lens looks at the characters. The characters aren't simple black and white stand ins for whatever strawman the filmmaker wants to mock or praise. Good or bad, everyone has reasons for doing what they do in life, Three Billboards was very kind to its characters by acknowledging this.

The Shape of Water felt like the opposite, its narrative lens was very judgmental. The villain in particular was beyond redemption and evil for evil's sake without rhyme or reason. The story is more interested in making sure the villain gets his punishment by the end than actually exploring the love themes it claims to be about.

Last edited:

TBiddy

Thanks for putting words to my feelings about the movie. Initially, when watching it, I was very excited, because of the art style, the music and the whole atmosphere of the movie. But it quickly turned sour, and I found myself more concerned thinking "how long is this movie?!" than thinking about the actual movie.

I think 3/10 is harsh, but it's definitely a mediocre movie. I'm not sure why it won "Best movie". But then again, Dunkirk was nominated and that wasn't very good neither.

hiphopcr

Thought the Best Picture noms were exceptionally strong this year. Jimmy was great. Too many numbers and too many montages. Why complain about the length every year while artificially increasing the length?

Razorback

Which ones have you seen?

Best picture winners?

It's better to mention the ones I haven't seen. From 1990 going forward the only ones I missed were Chicago, The King's Speech and Moonlight. I know Crash is famously terrible, but I don't really remember it, like a lot of best picture winners. Very forgettable affairs.

The Shape of Water on the other hand I will remember actively disliking it.

NovumAngel

Banned
Is it just me, or is "Best Supporting Actor" missing from that list?
Seems to be, here it is:
Supporting Actor:

Willem Dafoe, “The Florida Project”
Woody Harrelson, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”
Richard Jenkins, “The Shape of Water”
Christopher Plummer, “All the Money in the World”
Sam Rockwell, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri” - Winner

kunonabi

As safe and predictable as it could have been. Biggest snubs for me aside from the animated feature/foreign film garbage fires were apes losing visual effects and phantom thread losing score. Of course if was up to me Phantom Thread also would have won best actor, original screen play, director, and best picture but oh well.

As safe and predictable as it could have been. Biggest snubs for me aside from the animated feature/foreign film garbage fires were apes losing visual effects and phantom thread losing score. Of course if was up to me Phantom Thread also would have won best actor, original screen play, director, and best picture but oh well.

Day Lewis with a 4th Oscar? I was hoping for this too, but it appears it'll never happen.

Thought the Best Picture noms were exceptionally strong this year. Jimmy was great. Too many numbers and too many montages. Why complain about the length every year while artificially increasing the length?

I still can't believe that a dude who used to be most famous for the Man Show is now the de facto oscar host with this kid friendly image.

latest

Corrik

Best picture winners?

It's better to mention the ones I haven't seen. From 1990 going forward the only ones I missed were Chicago, The King's Speech and Moonlight. I know Crash is famously terrible, but I don't really remember it, like a lot of best picture winners. Very forgettable affairs.

At least 2 of the ones you mentioned are worse.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Thank Jesus Blade Runner got the cinematography nod. Best movie of the year deserves atleast something.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'm happy for del Toro since I like his work in general. I didn't think Shape of Water was his best though, it has great looks and actors but a very conventional plot.

Conventional plot was needed considering the main actors in the movie were so unconventional.

Thanks for putting words to my feelings about the movie. Initially, when watching it, I was very excited, because of the art style, the music and the whole atmosphere of the movie. But it quickly turned sour, and I found myself more concerned thinking "how long is this movie?!" than thinking about the actual movie.

I think 3/10 is harsh, but it's definitely a mediocre movie. I'm not sure why it won "Best movie". But then again, Dunkirk was nominated and that wasn't very good neither.

I loved the movie. Just goes to show how unscientific all of this is.

Alx

Conventional plot was needed considering the main actors in the movie were so unconventional.

I don't know, Pan's Labyrinth had both unconventional characters and plot, and came out as a much more powerful and memorable movie. I didn't exactly dislike the Shape of Water, but it made me feel I was watching the Cat from Outer Space again.

Best picture winners?

I assure you that you didn't miss anything in The King's Speech. SNOOZE FEST.

Had we heeded the lessons of Crash, modern politics would be less volitle.

Had to go back to see what came out for 2014. That steady decline is SOMETHING!

TTOOLL

The only movie from the list I've seen yet is "three billboards" and I fucking LOVED it. Brilliant story, pacing and mainly acting.

kunonabi

I don't know, Pan's Labyrinth had both unconventional characters and plot, and came out as a much more powerful and memorable movie. I didn't exactly dislike the Shape of Water, but it made me feel I was watching the Cat from Outer Space again.

Yeah, it wasnt the unconventional characters it was the poor pacing and weak romance. The quickness of the first half and the creature being so animalistic made the whole thing feel too superficial so it skewed closer to bestiality than the profound statement they were aiming for.

It's a shame because I was so certain it was going to be my film of the year.

Top Bottom