• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2022 is looking like one of the most eventful years for Playstation in a while

sircaw

Banned
Exactly what Xbox fans are you accusing of console warring in this thread? I only see one, the "discord guy" who is a PS5 fan/owner and PC gamer that doesn't even have an Xbox.

If you want to see console-warring, damage control and downplaying go check all the Sony extremists in any positive Xbox or Game Pass thread.
Hear thee, Hear thee, "The queen of the Green-rats has spoken." :messenger_grinning:

Ps, it's looking like a fantastic 2022 for games.

Last edited:
Sony fans seem to be trying to argue with either themselves or imaginary Xbox fans now :messenger_tears_of_joy: More than half the posts in this thread are related to Xbox, even though no one has said anything. Beyond ridiculous. Average age must be under 12... It seems you don't need two sides to have a war here.

Anyway, I hope Sony has a good year. I'll definitely keep an eye on GOW, and Stray looks interesting. Forspoken could go either way. More good games on all platforms is what I'm looking for... If they can do a true Gamepass competitor I'm interested, but not in a repackaged PS Now. I'd also like day one on PC releases. Less third party exclusive bullshit from everyone. Let me play where I want. I travel a lot and have a Steamdeck on order - MS and PC caters to me there...

I'm assuming/hoping they have some unannounced stuff, although that almost always turns out to be wishful thinking. Very few secrets in this industry.

ikbalCO

i don't think TLOU 2 DC is a thing since 60 fps patch was already a game changer and i don't think there is any more fidelity or game mode to add.

other than that, it seems like year that'll rival 2018 in terms of quality.

Because of the frequency of delays now a days, I try not to set my expectations too high. But if nothing gets delayed I think 2022 will be a amazing year for gaming in general.

God of war Ragnok, Horizon FB, Elden Ring and Starfield all coming out in the same year is crazy.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I would have been far more excited if I didn't know pretty much every single big name release will be held back by the base PS4 in terms of scope and design, you cant design R&C style instant loading of assets into a game world if your stuck with a version using an HDD, so the World must be designed to hide those. Expect many points where characters are forced into small spaces that they must push through or elevator rides to hide load walls etc.

Its not like the games won't be good, I am sure they will build off what prior entries did, but there certainly won't be a huge leap that people are wanting from a next gen system.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Jim Carrey What GIF

I was never excited about neither lmao

And I'm sure as F didn't bought PS5 day 1 to be excited about discord or xgen Spidey DLC.

I played both Spidey 1 and HZD on my PS4 Pro. Both completed on max difficulty. Bought HZD dlc, never started it.
Why not? The dlc is great and for SOME things, better than vanilla campaign.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Most of the games I’m excited about are mostly third party games but yeah 2022 is going to good year for my PS5 and Switch.

Fredrik

PSVR2 was confirmed to be wired, sadly. Only a single wire though.
Only one wire though? Isn’t that how things has always been when things aren’t wireless? My Tac 2 on Commodore 64 only have one wire too lol

————

As for the rest in OP: Things are looking sweeet! Already have Horizon and GT preordered, if Ragnarök comes out it’s a must too.

Last edited:

kyussman

If Director's Cuts are going to become a thing for all their major titles.....they can fuck right off if they think I'm going to be buying their games twice.

Ozriel

M$FT
I would have been far more excited if I didn't know pretty much every single big name release will be held back by the base PS4 in terms of scope and design, you cant design R&C style instant loading of assets into a game world if your stuck with a version using an HDD, so the World must be designed to hide those. Expect many points where characters are forced into small spaces that they must push through or elevator rides to hide load walls etc.

Its not like the games won't be good, I am sure they will build off what prior entries did, but there certainly won't be a huge leap that people are wanting from a next gen system.

Removing elevator rides or tight squeezes isn’t a ‘huge leap’.

I’m not sure there’d be a fundamental difference in how these 2022 games were designed even if they had to ditch the PS4.

The real issue is many folks don’t want to admit that fast loading is already a massive change from last gen, and also counts as a major next gen benefit. Ditto for pop-in reduction.
Not every game has to have portal gimmicks etc.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Removing elevator rides or tight squeezes isn’t a ‘huge leap’.

I’m not sure there’d be a fundamental difference in how these 2022 games were designed even if they had to ditch the PS4.

The real issue is many folks don’t want to admit that fast loading is already a massive change from last gen, and also counts as a major next gen benefit. Ditto for pop-in reduction.
Not every game has to have portal gimmicks etc.

For example God of War we have multiple realms, to change realms you have to go to a specific room and "dial" it in for the game to load the new area. Fast travel relies on "roots" which hide the load time of the location you are going to.

Imagine that In a similair vein to R&C you could just portal between the diffrent realms from anywhere, instantly and how that could effect level design... that choice could of easily been on the table if PS5 exclusive, however it could not be done if you are designing a game for PS4. Thats what I mean by limiting game design by older hardware. There is a reason R&C didn't get forced to be on PS4 despite being first party and thats because the main gimic would not work on a PS4.

Open worlds in general are one of the game types that benefit the most from additional VRAM and faster SSD's as by the nature of there design are the most likely to push those limits, imagine designing a world where every part of the map including the story dungeons where built into the world and not hidden by an invisible load barrier. The entire way a world is designed can be influenced by that.

You have to design your game for the weakest hardware and scale up, how can games be designed for PS5 when they are designed for the PS4?

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
The same was said about 2021, and well, we all know how it ended, after the launch window they showed absolutely nothing, except reminding everyone every 2-3 months they have adaptive triggers and haptic feedback, pleasebeexcited.gif ... There was some negative narratives as well if anything. So I wouldn't be that optimistic about Sony after this dry year.

They will release their heavy-hitters, which were suppose to launch this year already and be next-gen only titles mind you, but anyway, GT7, HFW and GoW will be a huge success regardless there's not a single doubt about it (I'm personally hoping for a GT-themed PS5 similar to the PS4 Slim one, or at least the side plates), but what else is there? Because sorry but in my books games that have nothing to do with Sony and are available elsewhere are nothing to brag about and give Sony any credit for.

Re-releases of games that launched just a few years ago as well, like seriously, remake some of the iconic stuff from PSX/PS2/PS3 then we'll talk, in the meantime just patch those PS4 games with 4K 60FPS and everyone will be more than happy, and if there's an actually new content just release it as a simple 15-20$ DLC, how hard can it be?

As for the acquisitions, I don't think we will see anything new other than maybe Ember Lab, feels like it's just a matter of time, and/or some small team(s) nobody heard about before, because from all the big, renown studios everything that could've been bought has been bought already.

Project Spartacus is what I'm personally mostly interested in, because I feel that online services and reaching a wider audience is what this whole generation will be all about, and with Sony being into music and movies industry as well they can create one of the best if not THE best entertainment service on the planet.

PC releases are the close second, because at this point it's not a matter of 'if' but 'when' the games will land on PC. Horizon is already established on PC and GoW will join soon, so it'll be interesting to see how long will it take for the sequels to follow suit.

What I'd personally definitely like to see form Sony in the upcoming year is more presence - GC, E3, TGS, PSX, because like I said, this year they were completely absent, those SoT episodes while nice simply aren't enough.

ParaSeoul

If Director's Cuts are going to become a thing for all their major titles.....they can fuck right off if they think I'm going to be buying their games twice.
I swear people forget "Director's Cut's" were always a thing,they were just called Definitive Editions. I don't see the issue if the original game at least gets a free 60fps patch or easy upgrade path.

ranmafan

I really hope PSVR2 does make it in 2022. Everything we've heard about it has been exciting and I cant wait to see the improvements from the original PSVR. The only thing that worries me is that with the continued issue regarding hardware shortages and such, can Sony still be able to launch PSVR2 in 2022? I just have this feeling these supply issues that's effected the PS5 will happen as well for PSVR and that could delay it. Which would be a real bummer for sure.

Roxkis_ii

Man, if I could get a ps5, it would be amazing! If I don't, I'm glad Sony is still showing some love, and giving Ps4 owners something to look forward too.

Sony never release any sale data besides those initial dude. Besides, they don't even release their promisse multiplayer.

The only thing we got are the rumor about remaking the first TLOUS.

Keep your expectations in check.

Oh you're one of those...

Anyway, please show me proof Ghost of Tsushima and Death Stranding outsold TLOU2 please.

ManaByte

Gold Member
i don't think TLOU 2 DC is a thing since 60 fps patch was already a game changer and i don't think there is any more fidelity or game mode to add.

other than that, it seems like year that'll rival 2018 in terms of quality.
The Uncharted release shows that you don’t need a big upgrade to get a re-release.

ParaSeoul

Oh you're one of those...

Anyway, please show me proof Ghost of Tsushima and Death Stranding outsold TLOU2 please.
Sony never release any sale data besides those initial dude. Besides, they don't even release their promisse multiplayer.

There was an official Sony statement with a bunch of first party game sales numbers,I can't remember if TLOU 2 was there. I can't seem to find it. Maybe someone else can post it.

They haven't released the multiplayer because it became a much bigger thing.

"One of" those people that never trust Jason only for him to always be right. If he says TLOU remake is being done by Naughty Dog, then it's happening.
I don't like the guy that much as well but i can't deny he's accurate and has strong connections in this industry.

Fake

There was an official Sony statement with a bunch of first party game sales numbers,I can't remember if TLOU 2 was there. I can't seem to find it. Maybe someone else can post it.

Just the initial sales. Sony only keep showing legs of God of War, GoT and Spider-Man.

And of course the famouns Amazon best selling list that people keep spaming everytime sales figures are asked.

They haven't released the multiplayer because it became a much bigger thing.

"One of" those people that never trust Jason only for him to always be right. If he says TLOU remake is being done by Naughty Dog, then it's happening.
I don't like the guy that much as well but i can't deny he's accurate and has strong connections in this industry.

I don't like Jason as a person, but he have a reputation source. If he said Sony is remaking TLOUS with the help of Bend Studius, not so hard to believe to me.

How can you say the multiplayer is a bigger thing than a 'director cut' version? Are you saying Ray Tracing/4K texture/Fast loading time/graphical options are smaller to implement than a multiplayer pack?

Last edited:
TLoU 2 Directors Cut ?

Has there been anything that leads to thinking this is a real thing ?
U didn’t think they would release factions for free did you like the last game?

Even though it was originally part of Lou2 (based off the leak before the delay)they are gonna bundle that shit into a director$ cut and make you pay again for it

ZywyPL

Banned
PSVR2 ain't happening anytime soon IMO, the first one launched halfway into the generation, and in the same way the market has to be saturated enough with PS5s.

I don't like Jason as a person, but he have a reputation source. If he said Sony is remaking TLOUS with the help of Bend Studius, not so hard to believe to me.

How can you say the multiplayer is a bigger thing than a 'director cut' version? Are you saying Ray Tracing/4K texture/Fast loading time/graphical options are smaller to implement than a multiplayer pack?
i didn't compare the Director's Cut for TLOU2 and Factions.

I just said Factions became a much bigger deal than simply an online mode. That's it.

They will release the Director's Cut later probably closer to the TV show. Makes no sense to release those for Ghost of Tsushima and Death Stranding but not for the one game that was all over 2020 best selling lists: TLOU2. It sold more than Ghost of Tsushima in every country we got year-end sales. We don't have data from Sony after the initial sales...but that gives us an idea that it did sell better.

USA:

2020's Best-Selling Games (US)

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
  2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
  3. Animal Crossing: New Horizons*
  4. Madden NFL 21
  5. Assassin's Creed: Valhalla
  6. The Last of Us: Part II
  7. Ghost of Tsushima
  8. Mario Kart 8: Deluxe*
  9. Super Mario 3D All-Stars*
  10. Final Fantasy VII: Remake
  11. Marvel's Avengers
  12. Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  13. NBA 2K21*
  14. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate*
  15. FIFA 21
  16. Mortal Kombat 11
  17. Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot
  18. MLB The Show 20
  19. Cyberpunk 2077*
  20. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2
UK:
  1. FIFA 21 – 2.182.694 units
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War – 1.420.353
  3. Grand Theft Auto V – 1.127.222
  4. FIFA 20 – 903.810
  5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare – 897,350
  6. Animal Crossing: New Horizons* – 810.462
  7. Assassin’s Creed Valhalla – 665.815
  8. The Last of Us: Part II – 539,247
  9. NBA 2K20 – 481.507
  10. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege – 436.957
Ghost is nowhere to be seen.

In fact for the entire european continent:

GSD Annual 2020 Top 20 Video Games (Digital + Physical)​

PositionTitle
1FIFA 21 (EA)
2Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
3Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo)*
4FIFA 20 (EA)
5Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (Activision Blizzard)
6Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*
7The Last of Us Part 2 (Sony)
8Assassin's Creed Valhalla (Ubisoft)
9Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
10Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
11NBA 2K20 (2K Games)
12Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Nintendo)*
13Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege (Ubisoft)
14Cyberpunk 2077 (CD Projekt)*
15Minecraft: Switch Edition (Nintendo/Microsoft)*
16Ghost of Tsushima (Sony)
17Assassin's Creed Odyssey (Ubisoft)
18Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo)
19Just Dance 2020
20Super Mario Party (Nintendo)*
*Digital data not available

TLOU2 is at #7 and Ghost of Tsushima is at #16.

Last edited:

Even though it was originally part of Lou2 (based off the leak before the delay)they are gonna bundle that shit into a director$ cut and make you pay again for it

It'll be free for all existing owners for TLOU2 and have a standalone copy for purchase

99% is a troll statement. I can't prove a subjective opinion as wrong and I won't even engage in that. This is how the Sony crowd sees things and I'm all out of argument points.

I never imagined me writing that "99%" could do all this. Would you prefer if i change it to "looks better than almost all games out there"?
Of course the "99%" is not some scientific fact. No need to call it a "troll statement" if you don't agree with it, lmao. It's not that serious. Relax.

No it won’t…..as much as I want to believe they are not gonna try an extract another 10-20 bucks for a minimal upgrade …this is Sony

And many people will happily defend it

That's exactly what they did with Ghosts of Tsushima

I get you all want to think Sony only thinks about short term profit, but even they know the difference between smart greed and stupid greed

Last edited:
That's exactly what they did with Ghosts of Tsushima

I get you all want to think Sony only thinks about short term profit, but even they know the difference between smart greed and stupid greed
It’s a slippery slope and without pointing fingers they need to do a better job at looking after their userbase as it is great they have record sales and their consoles are sold out…so is their competition and they have a lot more carrots to dangle

yurinka

Most big AAA to be released in 2022 that aren't yearly rehashes of previous games were started to be developed in 2017, 2018 or even a few cases in 2016. So in terms of scope and design they were made for PS4 because they had no idea of how PS5 was going to be and what technology was going to use.

In terms of design they were able to Rift Apart in PS4, the only difference would be a longer loading time when switching between dimensions. Big AAA games and their engines aren't made in 3 months, they need years to make them. And they need more years and to release a game or two before mastering the technology of each new generation.

It'll be free for all existing owners for TLOU2 and have a standalone copy for purchase
I just said Factions became a much bigger deal than simply an online mode. That's it.
As I remember they said that it started as a (free) multiplayer game mode to be included in TLOU2, but -as happened with Lost Legacy, that started as a short DLC but grew and ended being a separate standalone game- the scope of the TLOU2 multiplayer mode became too big and they saw that weren't going able to have it ready to ship it with the game, so they had two options: to cut stuff from both the single player and multiplayer parts to have them ready for launch, or to don't cut them and to release the single player part alone and to leave the multiplayer part as a separate game allowing it to continue growing as much as they wanted.

They did choose the 2nd option. So it will be released as a standalone game, as they did with Lost Legacy. So they could release it as a $70 game. But being multiplayer, they may want to have the biggest userbase possible, to it may be a crossgen F2P GaaS game too.

If they are smart, they may do a mixture of what they did with U4 remeaster and with GoT:

-To release TLOUDC for PS4, PS5 and PC, that would be a bundle that includes TLOU2 (improved for PS5), TLOU1 (with no MP, remake for PS5 and PC, remastered for PS4) and a season pass and extra items for Factions 2 (would merge Factions 1 & 2 in a single game). Price: complete package $60 for PS4, $70 for PS5 & PC.
-Factions 2 would be a crossgen and crossplay F2P for PS4, PS5 and PC with microtransactions and season passes.
-$10 upgrade to get PS5 native TLOU2 SP if you have it for PS4.
-$20 upgrade to get PS4 TLOU2 DC if you have TLOU2 SP or TLOUR in PS4.
-$30 upgrade to get PS5 TLOU2 DC if you have TLOU2 SP or TLOUR in PS4.

In the same way they did with U4 remaster and the Uncharted movie, I think they'd release TLOUDC a month before the TLOU tv show in order to promote them together.

And no new PS5 1st party exclusives… We got more in year 1
They have many top tier PS5 exclusives announced for 2022 coming both from 1st party, 2nd party and 3rd party and indies. Plus many top tier multiplatform games coming like Elder Ring. They will have a gazillion top selling games in 2022. Plus very likely more that they will announce later, as could be the case of the TLOU stuff I mentioned above or the PSVR2 games.

Very likely Sony's 2022 will be the biggest year ever for a platform holder in terms of gaming division revene. Specially if covid slows down and they start to get rid of the chips shortage issue.

Jason hates Sony -specially studios like ND- and his texts are always very biased. But what he said was:
-ND and Sony San Diego's new studio made with Sony SCEA Worldwide Studios Visual Arts department staff did work on the TLOU1 remake
-Bend did help ND in the TLOU2 MP game
-Bend and ND were working on an Uncharted spin-off that now may be cancelled as Bend moved to make a new IP

Regarding the TLOU1 remake, according to the former boss of that San Diego studio (and the Visual Arts department) Michael Mumbauer in an interview to Jaffe, it was a pitch made by their studio, who was the lead studio of the project, since they wanted to start making their own projects instead of being a support team to help with animation and cinematics as the Visual Arts department is. ND obviously was providing them the source material and overviewing the project because it's their own IP and the Visual Arts/San Diego team never released a game as lead studio.

Mumbauer first decided to make CG movies for cinema or tv of top PlayStation IPs using assets from the game's cinematics, but Sony rejected the idea and told them to focus on making games instead. Then Mumbauer thought about making their own game as lead studio, reusing the assets they made for their movie pitches, and though that since they were mostly animators it would be easier for them to make a remake, so thought about remaking Uncharted 1, but found that the gameplay was too old and required too much changes. So he (according to Jason) thought it would be easier to remake TLOU1 for PS5 to bundle it with the PS5 version of TLOU2.

Some time later, at the end of 2019 Hermen Hulst became the head of PlayStation Studios and (according to Jason) saw the TLOU1 remake, didn't like it and thought the San Diego studio was using too much budget/resources in the remake, so he asked San Diego and ND to switch their roles: for the later part of the development of this remake asked these Visual Arts group folks to go back to their original role of an animation support team (for at least this project) and put ND as lead studio with the goal of completing the remake with better budget and quality.

Later Mumbauer and some folks of the team left to create a separate company to fulfill his original vision of making cg movies using game assets. Zenimax created a new studio in the San Diego area, where there are a few game studios and started to hire super aggresively, so ended hiring some people more from both Sony San Diego studios.

We saw TLOU2 charting high (higher than GoT) in the sales ranking both from PSN and physical country specific sales rankings, specially in Sony's top market: Europe.

Naughty Dog and Druckmann said multiple times in interviews and their social media that they were going to add a multiplayer game mode to TLOU2 but its scope became too big so they decided to don't include it with the single player game at launch and to separate it from it to release it later as a separate, standalone game where it could grow and became whatever they wanted it to be.

Regarding to the TLOU1 remake rumor mentioned by Jason, Mumbauer -the former boss of the studio who pitched it and started to make it as lead studio- said that they pitched remakes as lead studio to reuse the materials they did for the pitch that wasn't greenlighted to make CG movies of Sony games. I don't remember his interview with Jaffe but I'd say he even mentioned Uncharted, lining very well with (I think Jason's) statement that their Uncharted 1 remake didn't work and decided to move to TLOU1 remake because since it was newer its gameplay was less outdated and that would be easier to get it greenlighted for (as happened with Morales) a bundle with the PS5 version of TLOU2.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
I never imagined me writing that "99%" could do all this. Would you prefer if i change it to "looks better than almost all games out there"?
Of course the "99%" is not some scientific fact. No need to call it a "troll statement" if you don't agree with it, lmao. It's not that serious. Relax.
Imagine if someone said Halo Infinite and all Xbox exclusive games look better than 99% of all games.

Top Bottom