• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Santa Monica Studio has 24 open positions for their unannounced game, which seems to be a new God of War

I don’t know why ND gets so much slack for making TLOU and Uncharted when Santa Monica has been nothing but a GOW factory for 2 decades and no one says anything.
I usually agree with this sentiment, but GOW 2018 and GOWR are radically different games from the PS2/PS3 GOW games. SSM as a studio showed they are an elite talent with the release of GOW2018. Outside of GTA 6 and the Witcher 4, I can't think of another game I am more hyped than Corey Barlog's new IP from SSM. I am assuming Sony backed up the brinks trucks to make sure the upcoming game is everything it should be, given how well GOW2018 and GOWR sold. There is literally no reason to denigrate the studio at this point. They have proven the ability to make very different games

Last edited:

Hudo

Let's see if the can make Atreus even more annoying, Kratos even more beta and the combat even more boring.

Melfice7

Ragnarok was terrible thanks to it’s disgusting modern writing and tone but if this will be set in Egypt, I’m interested, just don’t make the same mistakes
lied-no-lies-detected.gif

but we know they will double down on that

DanielG165

The complaints levied against this do realize that, even though Santa Monica are probably working on a new God of War game, that we won’t see it for several years, right? I didn’t even like Ragnarok that much, but I’m also not sitting here thinking that the studio are pumping out GoW games every couple of years.

Best believe that a next gen GoW game won’t be seen for 3-4 years at least with how AAA game development is going these days.

Aenima

Can't wait to see Atreus's trans story when he realizes he wants to be the first female GODDESS OF WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Actually that would fit the Loki lore, probably more than you think. As a shapeshifter and trickster Loki disguised himself as women many times, he even got pregnent as a female horse. Loki lore is crazy compared to the tame Atreus from the Gow games.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
nah-im-good.gif

I think I’m done with entire GOW series…I enjoyed series before now it going on direction that I’m not fan of.

mortal

Gold Member
They don't have enough staff for 2 aaa games. Or Cory game is a indie or is just another gow.
Hell, I'd love to see anything new from Santa Monica Studio, even if it weren't AAA.
The thought of another GoW just doesn't stir up the same excitement in me as something completely fresh from them.

kiphalfton

I think Ragnarok will be my last God of War game.

The first game was a bloated mess.

Haven't played Ragnarok, but I imagine it's chock full of pointless collecting, backtracking, etc.

Remove the padding, bring the game back under 12-15 hours long, with good boss battles, and we'll talk.

nial

Gold Member
The best thing would be releasing Cory's new IP in 2025, and then GOW3 in spring 2027, same year as PS6 later in the fall (no, I still don't believe in a 2028 launch).
Then focus on that new IP for the whole 10th gen, and give GOW a rest until, say, a new cross-gen PS6/PS7 reboot in 2034-2036.
Sony can still pump out remasters, remakes and spin-offs made by different studios to keep the series alive for this period.

Last edited:
Pass. My PS5 came with Ragnorok, installed it and 2018 and I tried twice to continue with it and it’s such a bore with shit pacing and uninspired gameplay. Plus I hate when every weapon in a game has runes and crystals and a thousand upgrade currency to track. Never even bothered with Ragnorok.

But they’re clearly talented, would love to see than on something else.

I'm morbidly curiously just how much wimpier they can make the next one. They should just cut combat completely and instead have the game take place in an unapologetic, brave and boundary-breaking therapist's office where Kratos comes out as trans and non-binary after 30 hours of slow-walking dialog flashback segments.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I don’t know why ND gets so much slack for making TLOU and Uncharted when Santa Monica has been nothing but a GOW factory for 2 decades and no one says anything.
Naughty Dog is always held to a higher standard because of what they've done for the platform. Besides, they've only seen that sort of flack this gen.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I would prefer something completely different from them, but if they're making another GoW (and why wouldn't they after the success of the last two) I hope it's significantly different. I enjoyed both the reboot and the sequel a lot, but I feel done with that. Don't want another one just like them but set in Egypt or whatever. I'd rather they go back to full on character action.

simpatico

Hopefully they zoom the camera in more. I won't be satisfied until 65% or more of the screen is just filled with Kratos' back.

Top Bottom