• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2023 has the best-reviewed slate of video games of the last 20 years

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It also likely has the least competent reviewers of the last 20 years. The kind that struggle during the tutorial...
nah that goes to 2017 for Dean Takahashi alone. 2023 reviewers made a video calling out devs for whining about the high scores BG3 got

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This year we finally got new entry to Armored Core which that alone made this year the best year and any other great games are just icing on the cake.

Praise the sexy Mechs....
armored-core-6-fires-of-rubicon-patch-102.jpeg

Doom85

Well deserved. Been an absolutely incredible year for gaming, and there’s still plenty I’ve yet to touch.

I am shocked 2017 was so low. Nier: Automata, BOTW, Mario Odyssey, Resident Evil 7, Horizon ZD, Splatoon 2, Cuphead, Uncharted LL, Nioh, Mario + Rabbids, Divinity OS II, Injustice 2, Hollow Knight, etc., it was a pretty stacked year. Must have had some absolute stinkers I forgot about.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
jak 3 lel
good on the rest tho (mostly)
Yeah, people didn't like the edginess and setting but I thought it was still solid and worth a mention. Definitely not on the level of Up Your Arsenal or even Sly 2 but this year was packed with GOATS.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
it's some fucking funny bait though.

It's funny to think that if Starfield released in 2022, or 2021, It'd have probably a much more positive reception.

Fucking hilarious copium if serious. If Starfield launched 5 years ago it would still have the same reception especially when its a far inferior game to Skyrim, Fallout 3, and Fallout 4. Nothing would change.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm willing to now entertain the debate that this might be the best single year in gaming. Not to say it has every best game ever made, just that it has the highest concentration of amazing games in one single year.

What are the runner ups again? 1996, 2007, 2017?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Fucking hilarious copium if serious. If Starfield launched 5 years ago it would still have the same reception especially when its a far inferior game to Skyrim, Fallout 3, and Fallout 4. Nothing would change.
I mean yeah, i still think it would score a couple points higher. It's just that 2023 has been so packed with 90+ games that people have raised their standards and Starfield now more than ever doesn't meet them.

StereoVsn

Since no one will do it....

the 25 90+ games/DLC in 2023

Baldur's Gate 3
TLOZ: Tears of the Kingdom
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Complete Edition
Metroid Prime Remastered
Tetris Effect: Connected
Resident Evil 4
Cocoon
Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed
Street Fighter 6
Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Turbo Overkill
Diablo 4
Sea of Stars
Resident Evil 4: Seperate Ways
Slay the Princess
Rogue Legacy 2
Quake 2
The Making of Karateka
Dave the Diver
Persona 4 Golden
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
Moss: Book 2
CP2077: Phantom Liberty
Jack Jeanne
Spiderman 2

There. That isn't even counting the high 80s games that are also very much worth your time, like Hi-Fi Rush, Pizza Tower, Armored Core 6, Pikmin 4, Octopath 2, Remnant 2, Alan Wake 2 (Which started off as a 90) and more.
Ok, can we just remove Witcher, Persona 4, Ghost Trick and probably RE4 from the list? Amazing games, but come on!

Ev1L AuRoN

It also likely has the least competent reviewers of the last 20 years. The kind that struggle during the tutorial...
100% agree, we had a great year, I'm not denying that, but we live in a world where reviewers give or take points based on politics and studios catering to those clowns instead of their fan base, so they can score a 90+ MC and receive bonuses.

I've bought two games so far this year, 2023 isn't my year for gaming. To be fair most games I'm interested in have been delayed to next year.

Disappointed King Of The Hill GIF

tommib

I think this year has been thoroughly spectacular. Let’s see, from what I’ve played:

Jedi Survivor
Humanity
Quake II
AC6
FF16
RE4
Scorn
Alan Wake 2
Dead Space
Paranormasight
Baldur’s Gate 3
Metroid Prime Remaster

These are all really excellent games. One of the best years ever, for sure.

Top Bottom